Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Maybe someday I will be able to go, even if it’s just to meet the FABO gang
I'm local and that's the main reason I go at this point. But, always fun to check out the cars and walk seemingly endless piles of junk (golden junk if you actually find what you need) LOL

Found a tag on that ford 9 inch rear diff.

I was looking from the top and didn't see this at first

@RustyRatRod

20240707_180832.jpg

Found a tag on that ford 9 inch rear diff.

I was looking from the top and didn't see this at first

@RustyRatRod

View attachment 1716273611
@Icetech speaks not with fork-ed tongue. The 9 is the 9" ring gear diameter. The 25 is the last two digits of the gear ratio and it's missing the characters before the 25, OR they are stamped lightly and the dirt and rust covers them up. However, I know from experience that there is only ONE 9" ratio that ends in "25" and that's the 3.25 ratio, so that's what you have there. IF the tag reads "3L25" for example, that means you have a 3.25:1 ratio with a locking or limited slip differential. That's what the "L" means. I would maybe remove the tag and gently clean it and even look on the back side. You might can see something there. But according to the tag, you at least have a 3.25 ratio, which is pretty decent.

@Icetech speaks not with fork-ed tongue. The 9 is the 9" ring gear diameter. The 25 is the last two digits of the gear ratio and it's missing the characters before the 25, OR they are stamped lightly and the dirt and rust covers them up. However, I know from experience that there is only ONE 9" ratio that ends in "25" and that's the 3.25 ratio, so that's what you have there. IF the tag reads "3L25" for example, that means you have a 3.25:1 ratio with a locking or limited slip differential. That's what the "L" means. I would maybe remove the tag and gently clean it and even look on the back side. You might can see something there. But according to the tag, you at least have a 3.25 ratio, which is pretty decent.
Decoding ford #'s is kinda weird.. they just randomly leave **** off the tag :)

If the rear is cheap it's a good starting point.. 9" tru-tracks (i think that's the name?) are pretty cheap....

If the rear is cheap it's a good starting point.. 9" tru-tracks (i think that's the name?) are pretty cheap....
Track Lock or Traction Lock is their limited slip. The step up is the Detroit Locker. Ford didn't piss around with it. If I'm not mistaken, they are the only one of the big three that used the Detroit Locker in production.

The quality of installation by the “handyman” (not me)

IMG_5181.jpeg

IMG_5182.jpeg

As good as they are. Putting a Ford rear in a mopar, is about the same a Putting a small block chubby under the hood.

Morning, early start working outside, just came in for some snacks and to cool off a little.

As good as they are. Putting a Ford rear in a mopar, is about the same a Putting a small block chubby under the hood.
I don't see it that way.... it's just an axle and a 9" is cheap :) I would do like a couple of the local racers do and go get a dana 60 out of a truck and cut it down, cept there is no way i would do it properly :) They end up with like $700 into a whole rear end installed..

I love the Ford part numbering system. Simple, yet ingenious. Here is perhaps the best example of how to read them.

I love the Ford part numbering system. Simple, yet ingenious. Here is perhaps the best example of how to read them.
naw. i got it.... i was looking for DM-CK cause that's what the tag shows... and it's suppose to be WDM-CK.. took me way to long to figure that out :) But i do like that it lists 9 or 10.5 and the ratio right there

Local fire update ... The "Evacuation Warning" is about 4 miles up the river from the rock farm I mined for 30 yrs. or 20 miles east of town. The old competing rock farm has mining leases in that area. 19K acres now. The Winos must be getting nervous, there are a lot of grapes in that neighborhood.

That's a kinda handy list to have around. :thumbsup:

For those who have not seen it...........................WOW

-
Back