Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
We had a shepherd when I was a kid in the desert, kept the unfriendly wildlife away from the house. She got frisky with the neighbor dog in an unprotected fashion :lol: I soon had little hairy siblings :lol:. My real sibling/little sister couldn't be found one day. We looked everywhere in the house for her. Went out the back door where the toy box had been converted to a shepherd condo and found the sister cuddled up with all of our hairy siblings and Sheba was watching over them all. Sheba was not happy when we began removing Sis from the condo :lol:

and that helmet meets DOT specs :lol:
Funny thing, years ago when they decided to pass the helmet law the legislation did a poor job on wording it. As a result we would tie the helmet around our leg get our tickets go to court and get it tossed. We were in fact wearing the helmet.
Hehehehe!

Safe as them little plastic pudding bowls I see so frequently on rider's heads. :steering:
So funny thing when they then passed the Law saying a helmet had to have a DOT sticker as a way of getting rid of the fiberglass molded bowls, the legislation did a poor job of wording it! Thus every bike shop had a role of “DOT” stickers on the counter with sign says take one, free! We slapped em on and good to go! Are ya seeing a pattern of non confirming behavior here?
Hah!

But may be not good news. Or correct news. Or true news. I just tried to get there in Google search and same thing. It must be bad JuJu.

View attachment 1716316383
I am simply amazed at the impact social media can have on today’s news feed. I doubt there will ever be a level playing field again.

Check this guy out! Welcome back
thank you; its good to be back, I haven't touched my car in at least 5 months. had expectations of building a 8000 rpm 318 and was making good progress until it was time to actually get it to the machine shop and then I realized that it would be undriveable on the street. so now i'm going to slam rings and bearings in the current engine and just zero deck the block to get more compression out of it. (to actually match the cam I got in it) should be in it around 500$ and it'll be done way quicker.

thank you; its good to be back, I haven't touched my car in at least 5 months. had expectations of building a 8000 rpm 318 and was making good progress until it was time to actually get it to the machine shop and then I realized that it would be undriveable on the street. so now i'm going to slam rings and bearings in the current engine and just zero deck the block to get more compression out of it. (to actually match the cam I got in it) should be in it around 500$ and it'll be done way quicker.
Cool

I don't have the answer to the original question on cylinder walls

@toolmanmike
@RustyRatRod
@Tooljunkie

quick question; how rough should cylinder walls be when using stock style piston rings in a semi-hot 318?
320 grit? 400?

I think it depends on what kind of rings you're using. I'm going through the same kinds of questions building a slant right now

Drive em man drive em! Save rabbit holes for second car!

from Engine Builder Mag..

Most OEMs and ring manufacturers specify a surface finish of 15 to 25 RA for moly faced rings, which can be achieved by finish honing with #280 grit stones. Cast iron and chrome rings can tolerate a somewhat rougher surface finish (20 to 35 RA), so coarser #220 grit stones can be used to produce this type of finish.

Engine Cylinder Bore

well good news and sorta bad news...

I got the motivation to rip the engine out of the car, and in doing so, I found that 2 out of 4 flexplate bolts were looser than I really like; the motor mount bolts were loose, and the crank bolt was a quarter of the way out.

other than that; it's going really well.

well good news and sorta bad news...

I got the motivation to rip the engine out of the car, and in doing so, I found that 2 out of 4 flexplate bolts were looser than I really like; the motor mount bolts were loose, and the crank bolt was a quarter of the way out.

other than that; it's going really well.
Sounds about right!!!

-
Back