Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Car has me stressed.. passenger axle shaft has .0038 runout on the flange, not THAT bad.. but got home last night after 5 miles and felt the rims (had it apart so checking for heat in case something was rubbing) Passenger side was hot.. get the thermal gun and right axle 130 degrees (70 outside) drivers side was 98.... soo.. maybe a bad bearing.. between that and the carrier howling i'm gonna be out another 1000-1200$ plus mufflers another $100... just stressed and annoyed.

Best part is i knew i would hate it when i went with the gears and **** i did.. and here i am :) Always good at giving others advice but my brain will **** me over everytime it can

P.S. and of course the axles are brand new with now 15 miles on them... I swear about half of the new parts i bought end up being ****.
Could the bad axle bearing be causing the howl?

Usually heat in the rim is from a brake hanging up, dragging.

Has the center section been gone through? When?

Could the bad axle bearing be causing the howl?

Usually heat in the rim is from a brake hanging up, dragging.

Has the center section been gone through? When?
Axles are brand new from drdiff.. doesn't mean there isn't a bad bearing, i had just had the brake drums off and adjusted them for no drag cause i was testing some stuff... going to swap axles side to side and see if the heat comes with..
The pig was setup bout 20 years ago with new gears then stuffed under a shelf and forgotten, guy gave it to me for free so i can't complain but i don't think it was setup properly and i should have double checked it, guy is a locally famous hemi racer for 40 years that's retired now.. figured it would be right. i'm just annoyed and pissed.. will get over it.

Axles are brand new from drdiff.. doesn't mean there isn't a bad bearing, i had just had the brake drums off and adjusted them for no drag cause i was testing some stuff... going to swap axles side to side and see if the heat comes with..
The pig was setup bout 20 years ago with new gears then stuffed under a shelf and forgotten, guy gave it to me for free so i can't complain but i don't think it was setup properly and i should have double checked it, guy is a locally famous hemi racer for 40 years that's retired now.. figured it would be right. i'm just annoyed and pissed.. will get over it.
The axles are different lengths side to side, I believe. Are they the green bearings or the taper, factory style? If taper, maybe have too much preload on them?

The center section, when does it make noise? During coast IIRC?

The axles are different lengths side to side, I believe. Are they the green bearings or the taper, factory style? If taper, maybe have too much preload on them?

The center section, when does it make noise? During coast IIRC?
Green bearing.. a little noise cruising, a lot of noise on decel.. and back and forth noise when you get that perfect spot between decel and accel.. I have only put 15 miles on it, i figure better than i check it before i ruin something. Saw a video earlier of a place that had bad whine and redid the pinion shims and made it go away. I'm more annoyed that everything single thing on this car has had to be done 2-3 times minimum. And i HATE driving it so far. :) WAHHHHH i'm whiney as my rear end today...

Whats funny is the plan was a stock 318, keep power steering and 14s and just have a driver.. nope.. still might end up that way, just 1800 for power steering.. eck..

Green bearing.. a little noise cruising, a lot of noise on decel.. and back and forth noise when you get that perfect spot between decel and accel.. I have only put 15 miles on it, i figure better than i check it before i ruin something. Saw a video earlier of a place that had bad whine and redid the pinion shims and made it go away. I'm more annoyed that everything single thing on this car has had to be done 2-3 times minimum. And i HATE driving it so far. :) WAHHHHH i'm whiney as my rear end today...

Whats funny is the plan was a stock 318, keep power steering and 14s and just have a driver.. nope.. still might end up that way, just 1800 for power steering.. eck..
Sounds like there is no backlash or the pinion depth in too deep. The guy you got it from probably had it set tight to reduce shock at the launch. I heard of people doing that years ago.

I have a neighbour that wants to regear his 8.75. Not sure if i want to take it on. Would be different if the car was here, but he wants to bring the diff. I cant road test it. And i think he will be looking over my shoulder. Im going to pass.

Sounds like there is no backlash or the pinion depth in too deep. The guy you got it from probably had it set tight to reduce shock at the launch. I heard of people doing that years ago.
Yeah, i have never set one up before.. i'm just gonna go through it and check it all and set it up best i can. and check the bearings cause ya never know..

I have a neighbour that wants to regear his 8.75. Not sure if i want to take it on. Would be different if the car was here, but he wants to bring the diff. I cant road test it. And i think he will be looking over my shoulder. Im going to pass.
It doesn't look hard in any way, i just don't have a press but will figure it out.

Yeah, i have never set one up before.. i'm just gonna go through it and check it all and set it up best i can. and check the bearings cause ya never know..
If you have a magnetic base dial indicator, you can check the backlash. 0.008-0.012 is fairly typical. Set it up perpendicular to a tooth. Rock the bevel gear back and forth and read how much slop is there. Also, can grease (there is special compound for marking the pattern) and see if it is set too deep. Would likely be way down by the root of the tooth. It is possible some corrosion is on the teeth from sitting as well.

If you have a magnetic base dial indicator, you can check the backlash. 0.008-0.012 is fairly typical. Set it up perpendicular to a tooth. Rock the bevel gear back and forth and read how much slop is there. Also, can grease (there is special compound for marking the pattern) and see if it is set too deep. Would likely be way down by the root of the tooth. It is possible some corrosion is on the teeth from sitting as well.
yeah, i been watching videos... it will be fine.. just more money :)

Those scam callers have been providing me some entertainment today. My name is attatched to my number, but billing is in the wife’s name. They insist its my bill. And they dont sound very canadian. Guess i got under his skin when i called im a dumb fkin monkey and to find someone else to scam. Next call was 5 minutes at least, when i informed him the more i waste his time the less time he spends scamming someone else.. :lol:

Those scam callers have been providing me some entertainment today. My name is attatched to my number, but billing is in the wife’s name. They insist its my bill. And they dont sound very canadian. Guess i got under his skin when i called im a dumb fkin monkey and to find someone else to scam. Next call was 5 minutes at least, when i informed him the more i waste his time the less time he spends scamming someone else.. :lol:
When those people call me, I usually talk to them in a foreign language that I know. The phone call is usually Very Short..... :rofl:

-
Back