Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
this is my 4th Scamp - and I had a 70 Duster (which ended up being a parts car for all intents and purposes) so I have been there done that as far as taking 'em apart and putting 'em back together goes...
Before this Duster I did a lot more taking apart than I did putting back together.:rolleyes:

now I just need one more... take all those "left over" pieces and parts
Before this Duster I did a lot more taking apart than I did putting back together.:rolleyes:
for sure - especially on the first ones. The bad frame car I had running - fuel cell, roll cage, disc brake conversion, wiring, lights, interior all mocked up and working - I had taken out what I could to do some additional body work and paint it all when the frame issue came to my attention - thus the "left over" pieces I have collected

this is my 4th Scamp - and I had a 70 Duster (which ended up being a parts car for all intents and purposes) so I have been there done that as far as taking 'em apart and putting 'em back together goes...
yeah im just getting anxious to get this done. Honestly, I knew going in this was gonna be a multi-year project and expensive, so I'm taking my time to do it right. I've screwed things up rushing before and I'm not doing that now.

Oh!! I did make what I think will be the finaly decision on the color of the engine this weekend. Every big block out there these days gets painted Hemi Orange Or Race Hemi orange. I think I'm gonna honestly go with Chrysler engine Red and Gold, like how the 361 Golden Commando was painted, though with finned valve covers, gold painted, pin striped with the engine red.

now I just need one more... take all those "left over" pieces and parts

for sure - especially on the first ones. The bad frame car I had running - fuel cell, roll cage, disc brake conversion, wiring, lights, interior all mocked up and working - I had taken out what I could to do some additional body work and paint it all when the frame issue came to my attention - thus the "left over" pieces I have collected
Honestly, thats how I acquired what parts I had too. mostly.

So I know the end of the decade is coming up soon, but I'm thinking worse case, as long as it's ready to cruise for the 100th anniversary of Route 66 in November of 2026, I shall be happy.

Honestly, thats how I acquired what parts I had too. mostly.

So I know the end of the decade is coming up soon, but I'm thinking worse case, as long as it's ready to cruise for the 100th anniversary of Route 66 in November of 2026, I shall be happy.
that may make it the longest build thread ever...

Bought the Duster 2008 but did not get any significant work started till 2011.
I started my thread here in 2013...
i need to go back thru yours, been a while lol

Bought the Duster 2008 but did not get any significant work started till 2011.
I started my thread here in 2013...
hey I do have a question for you, i see you said you added metal to the inside of your frame rails?

SOB!!!
Our forecast for this weekend

snow.png

did you just add piece of sheet or did you do a box tubing?
Pieces of sheet metal. I still had solid metal in the corners, Nothing sagging or breaking apart.but sides of the box were thin/holes in a few spots. So where possible I plated the inside then layed another piece into area I cut out. This was just small stuff. If it was much worse or a higher performance build I probably would have looked for doner rails.

Pieces of sheet metal. I still had solid metal in the corners, Nothing sagging or breaking apart.but sides of the box were thin/holes in a few spots. So where possible I plated the inside then layed another piece into area I cut out. This was just small stuff. If it was much worse or a higher performance build I probably would have looked for doner rails.
ahh I think I'm in the same boat, but I am going higher performance, I'm just gonna cap them from the outside, por15 the hell out of them, but I thought about getting some thin wall box tubing that fits between the rails and welding that in, sure it'll add weight.

When I replaced the trunk in the cuda I cut some 1/2 round tube and welded it in about every three inches to tie in the sides. It's not going anywhere.

I bought an angled HD cap rail for the right front side of my GTS. Just behind the control arm mounting. It came with the correct bends, and fit pretty dang good... Bought it online somewhere..could look it up if need be..

I figured if it was still intact with rusted floor pans etc around it and held straight even with a busted T bar, my repairs would be fine. So far so good. They had no problem aligning it and I do not have offset upper bushings...

-
Back