Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well, I need to go back to sleep... I'm catching another cold and trying to fight it off so I don't have to call off work...

LOL I had no idea you needed that I have to check the FSM and see what they say. I have only done 8 1/4's and rons front dana 30

How would you center that in say a 8 1/4 with the adjusters for the ring gear or it doesn't matter?

The only tool I use really is a micrometer and indicator on a magnetic base for the backlash. Dam you got me nervous now

Where is the snow?
They shut down th city for this:rofl:

I guess all the snowflakes are in the house under their blankies.

IMG_20180321_092117.jpg

I'm talking about pinion depth, relative to the centerline of the carrier case. You are asking about ring gear backlash. . On adjustable Mopars , It is easy with the adjusters. On theses GM cases, you shim the carrier from side to side to get the desired backlash. Use a dial test indicator for that. But this is all , AFTER you have the correct pinion depth, and the pinion is installed in the case, with the proper peload on the pinion bearings..

I only have one question....
Where are the pics? !!! :poke:
Sorry forgot my phone. I'll be back in a couple weeks and will get some. They have a Facebook page and have hundreds of pics for those snowed in. Shop has over 200 national awards for cars and trucks they've done. Bright Build Hot Rods.

I understand that, seriously always done it like in the instructions I posted. Just by the wear pattern on the ring gear and check the backlash also. Like I said I make the shims to the top of the pinion the same as the old one and check only once I had to remove a small shim. Hey @memike how did you do yours? Just curious.

Keefer you are a good blower!
It sucks out plowed not blew around 8" and walk to the house and it snowed another inch on what I plowed!

Its almost a white out here right now. Hate this crap!
Same. News shows us both in 1-2 inch per hour.
I kinda like one good snow so I know we had a Winter... I'm good now. It can stop any time it wants and I won't feel cheated. LOL

-
Back