World War I begins

and ends when you are 18,

with 22 million dead.

Shortly after the world pandemic,

flu called ′′ Spanish ",

killing 50 million people.

You go out alive and free,

and you are 20 years old.

Then at the age of 29 you survive the global economic crisis that started with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange causing inflation, unemployment and hunger.

Nazis come to power at 33.

You are 39 when world war 2. begins

and it ends when you are 45 during the Holocaust (Shoah), 6 million Jews die.

There will be a total of more than 60 million dead.

When you’re 52 Korean war begins.

When you are 64, the Vietnam war begins and ends when you are 75.

A baby born in 1985 believes his grandparents have no idea how hard life is,

and survived several wars and disasters.

A boy born in 1995 and 25 today believes that the end of the world when his Amazon package takes more than three days to arrive or if he doesn't exceed 15 likes for his posted photo on Facebook or Instagram...

In 2020., many of us live in comfort, have access to various sources of entertainment at home and often have more than needed.

But people complain about everything.

They have electricity, phone, food, hot water and a roof over their heads.

None of this existed.

But humanity survived much more serious circumstances and never lost the joy of life.

Maybe it's time to be less selfish, stop whining and crying

Those of us that are a little older know we've been cutting on a fat hog for quite a while. Sure there's been a few bumps and it hasn't been great for everyone no doubt. But this won't last forever there's going to be a different world for our grandchildren.

I was born in '48 I remember........

First few years of "conciousness" I remember old cars like my Dad had 2 different Model A Fords, one a dump truck. No heater, really. One of them had a "trumpet" deal that the fan blew air into, around the exhaust/ leaky manifold and into the interior.........with the leaky/ broken WOOD floorboards

I remember our old house in downtown had NO bathroom and only one cold sink in the kitchen. Before we moved out when I was 6, Dad and Gramps put in the sewer, remodeled the kitchen, and put in a bath/ water tank/ toilet/ shower

When I was 6 the folks bought part of the property and Gramps house, that Dad helped build. Wood heat. Had a hand crank phone, and water for kitchen tank was heated by coils in the "trash burner" alongside the small electric range. Water for baths was heated by a pot belly stove in the basement with a home-built convection duct around the stove that encouraged heat to rise up into the bath

When I was in Jr high Dad installed a USED hand fired coal furnace, convection air, to which had been added a power stoker and external blower box. Damn thing took up most the basement. Coal went way up around 68-70, Dad put in an oil furnace--just in time for the inflation of about 73 and fuel shortage. Finally the gas company got going on gas taps---there was a big feeder out past the house---and Dad had a gas furnace installed

My Mom's parents did not have either running water, indoor bath, or a refrigerator until I was in Jr High, about 1960, and they had no real well. My Great Uncle had sold the farm in OR after his brother died, came up here to live with the folks and he had a well drilled, the house remodeled to add a bath. They got their first refrigerator, they had had just an icebox. Grampa used to keep a wash tub in the car trunk all the time, with tongs, so they could haul ice from town.

We had 220V into the house, but it was only something like ?60A or maybe only ?40? Amp service--two big cartridge fuses in the disconnect. The power drop was a LONG way from the road. Whenever the well pump cycled, the TV would suck way in, and usually you had to get up and diddle the vert/ horizontal hold or something

Last edited:
The story of the old outdoor toilet

The first house I was aware of up until six, at first had an outdoor toilet. This was WAY nicer than anybody would build for a house, especially such as that old house. I'm pretty certain it came from Farragut Naval facility, which was an area training base during WWII.

When Dad and Gramps remodeled the house, they removed the outdoor toilet and stored it just sitting in Gramps back field. We moved onto that place when I was 6. When I was ?12-14? some relatives came up to visit and stayed a couple weeks, and Gramps had a little cabin out back of his "new" place, so he came and got the old toilet and installed it out there by the "guest house."

About the time I graduated HS, Gramps retired, and built his retirement home on his property up the hill from where we lived--his old house. He and my step-grandmother wanted to camp out up there a few days at a time building the new house, so they moved the old toilet up there

So that is Farragut---my young downtown house--stored out where I grew up--Installed at Gramps--and moved and installed at Gramps retirement place. So at least FIVE locations that old toilet has been
===============================================

The day Gramps moved that old toilet for the last time, I was going home out Pine st. I was near town in a residential area, and this horrible unrecognizable sight came into view. "Something" was parked at the side of the road. It turned out Gramps old pu had broken a U joint, and there, much mortified and generally upset, was my step gramma waiting for Gramps to get back with help. And in the bed of the pickup----dirty side to the rear---was that damned old toilet!!!!

Last edited:
I was born in '48 I remember........

First few years of "conciousness" I remember old cars like my Dad had 2 different Model A Fords, one a dump truck. No heater, really. One of them had a "trumpet" deal that the fan blew air into, around the exhaust/ leaky manifold and into the interior.........with the leaky/ broken WOOD floorboards

I remember our old house in downtown had NO bathroom and only one cold sink in the kitchen. Before we moved out when I was 6, Dad and Gramps put in the sewer, remodeled the kitchen, and put in a bath/ water tank/ toilet/ shower

When I was 6 the folks bought part of the property and Gramps house, that Dad helped build. Wood heat. Had a hand crank phone, and water for kitchen tank was heated by coils in the "trash burner" alongside the small electric range. Water for baths was heated by a pot belly stove in the basement with a home-built convection duct around the stove that encouraged heat to rise up into the bath

When I was in Jr high Dad installed a USED hand fired coal furnace, convection air, to which had been added a power stoker and external blower box. Damn thing took up most the basement. Coal went way up around 68-70, Dad put in an oil furnace--just in time for the inflation of about 73 and fuel shortage. Finally the gas company got going on gas taps---there was a big feeder out past the house---and Dad had a gas furnace installed

My Mom's parents did not have either running water, indoor bath, or a refrigerator until I was in Jr High, about 1960, and they had no real well. My Great Uncle had sold the farm in OR after his brother died, came up here to live with the folks and he had a well drilled, the house remodeled to add a bath. They got their first refrigerator, they had had just an icebox. Grampa used to keep a wash tub in the car trunk all the time, with tongs, so they could haul ice from town.

We had 220V into the house, but it was only something like ?60A or maybe only ?40? Amp service--two big cartridge fuses in the disconnect. The power drop was a LONG way from the road. Whenever the well pump cycled, the TV would suck way in, and usually you had to get up and diddle the vert/ horizontal hold or something
And people think times are hard today. Suck it up buttercup.

I relate 67Dart273. I too was born in 1948, but my dad was born in 1904! My mother almost died aa a young woman and was never able to have a child until I popped up unexpectantly! By 1948 Dad had gone thru WW11 and a tour of Korea in the USMC Aviation corp. Before the service he had seen the Great Depression as a young man, and he and mom also as seeing WW1 and the Spanish Flu as a young child.. I was raised by parents old enough to be my grandparents, my wife the same. So when you guys wonder why I am as I am, read section #1!!!!!

I relate 67Dart273. I too was born in 1948, but my dad was born in 1904! My mother almost died aa a young woman and was never able to have a child until I popped up unexpectantly! By 1948 Dad had gone thru WW11 and a tour of Korea in the USMC Aviation corp. Before the service he had seen the Great Depression as a young man, and he and mom also as seeing WW1 and the Spanish Flu as a young child.. I was raised by parents old enough to be my grandparents, my wife the same. So when you guys wonder why I am as I am, read section #1!!!!!
WOW Your Dad was only 4 years younger than my Gramps. Interesting, he was not called up either WWI or WWII. I'm amazed he went to Korea. My Dad was in WWII but not Korea

WOW Your Dad was only 4 years younger than my Gramps. Interesting, he was not called up either WWI or WWII. I'm amazed he went to Korea. My Dad was in WWII but not Korea
Pa joined the USMC as a young man in the early 30s, he loved mechanics but there was NO money in rural SW Ga. He got into the avaiation part of it all. He went to a few, I guess they were skirmishes, seems like he said in Dominion Republic or such. Then came WW11. He left Pearl a few days before it was bombed to drive from Ca to Ga to marry my mother. I was born in Hawaii after the war in '48. He retired from the service after Korea and as they were bout to send him back again. He left the Marines mentally frazzled, and never fully recovered from it all.
He spoke of the War only a few times. I have some pics of him on some S Pacific islands around bombers and some in Korea. . He was in Japan for a while after the War. He never could set foot back on a plane after leaving the service. Pa was a quite man, you never would have known him to have been in the service. My mother you might have thought she was a general in the Army! The topic on post #1 was whinning? There was no whinning back then for me. Ma would have knocked me chitless!!! then said suck it up! Pa loved agriculture but lost his love for anything mechanics really. He passed at age 78. I miss him.

You got a few years on me not many though. Remembering the outhouse carrying the warm toilet seat from house in winter hand pump well in yard for drinking water and the cistern in basement with hand pump on kitchen counter for washing. Saturday night the big galvanized round wash tub would be in the middle of the kitchen floor mom would heat water on stove and we would all take a bath. Heat was an oil fired space heater every night dad would fill it with 5 gal diesel from a barrel by the back door. But we never thought we had it rough it was just the way we lived. Have many warm and fuzzy memories

Old man turned 18 in 1945 Jan. 8th he was conscripted but never made it. Good thing I might not be here if he did.

I remember bath days. galvanized tub dragged into the kitchen area of the two-room cabin. I carried the pailfuls of water from the out-door pump, which Mum heated up on the wood-fired bake-stove.
I was the eldest, but little sister got the first go-round in the hot clean water. Then me, then lil brother (we were all about two years apart).
Hot-water was added as needed, and by the time lil brother got out, the tub was pretty full. I don't recall how Mum emptied it.

The outhouse was a long long ways from the house. So Lord help you if you had to go on a cold winters night.

I think Gramps got a TV in about 1960. I would have been 7. Gramps was born in 1895. He sired 15 kids, 13 made it to adulthood. My Dad was born in 27, so missed the First War. And the Second. His brothers Abe and Frank and I think Garry, went to war. They all came back, but sick in the head. Especially Frank who had been a sniper. The youngest Uncle was born in 43, 10 years before me. Gramps was all worn out by age 60, but I think he lived to nearly 70.

Mum kept me back a year from going to school, until lil sister was old enough to go. It was 2.5 miles each way, and we didn't get bicycles for a year or two. I was too old and too big for kindergarten, so I went straight to grade One.
We had a yardlight on a pole, but no indoor electricity.......... until the TV came,lol.
Gramps had hung up a pair of Dutch shoes on the wall that Abe brought back with him from Holland where he had taken a wife, before he returned from the war. She was a fiery lil woman not 5 ft tall. She talked like a machine gun, 90 mph.
They're all gone now. And the first-cousins are dropping too. Soon enough it will be my turn.
Two of my 4 siblings are gone, and the elder sister next behind me, has survived a heart-attack. Baby sister was born sick, but shes only 56 to my 68, so who knows which of us will drop first. I suspect I'll be the last one standing.

I don't recall hard times; things just were what they were. I turned 16 in 69 and bought a 57 BelAir/283/auto/ 4dr hardtop, for $395.Or was it $295? She was in "mint" condition. Times had already changed; we were rich; the whole of NorthAmerica was rich.
Life was smooth and easy.
They say they put a man on the moon in 69. Granny said "not a chance". I argued with her about it. But over the years, I have come to think that she was probably right.

I remember bath days. galvanized tub dragged into the kitchen area of the two-room cabin. I carried the pailfuls of water from the out-door pump, which Mum heated up on the wood-fired bake-stove.
I was the eldest, but little sister got the first go-round in the hot clean water. Then me, then lil brother (we were all about two years apart).
Hot-water was added as needed, and by the time lil brother got out, the tub was pretty full. I don't recall how Mum emptied it.

The outhouse was a long long ways from the house. So Lord help you if you had to go on a cold winters night.

I think Gramps got a TV in about 1960. I would have been 7. Gramps was born in 1895. He sired 15 kids, 13 made it to adulthood. My Dad was born in 27, so missed the First War. And the Second. His brothers Abe and Frank and I think Garry, went to war. They all came back, but sick in the head. Especially Frank who had been a sniper. The youngest Uncle was born in 43, 10 years before me. Gramps was all worn out by age 60, but I think he lived to nearly 70.

Mum kept me back a year from going to school, until lil sister was old enough to go. It was 2.5 miles each way, and we didn't get bicycles for a year or two. I was too old and too big for kindergarten, so I went straight to grade One.
We had a yardlight on a pole, but no indoor electricity.......... until the TV came,lol.
Gramps had hung up a pair of Dutch shoes on the wall that Abe brought back with him from Holland where he had taken a wife, before he returned from the war. She was a fiery lil woman not 5 ft tall. She talked like a machine gun, 90 mph.
They're all gone now. And the first-cousins are dropping too. Soon enough it will be my turn.
Two of my 4 siblings are gone, and the elder sister next behind me, has survived a heart-attack. Baby sister was born sick, but shes only 56 to my 68, so who knows which of us will drop first. I suspect I'll be the last one standing.

I don't recall hard times; things just were what they were. I turned 16 in 69 and bought a 57 BelAir/283/auto/ 4dr hardtop, for $395.Or was it $295? She was in "mint" condition. Times had already changed; we were rich; the whole of NorthAmerica was rich.
Life was smooth and easy.
They say they put a man on the moon in 69. Granny said "not a chance". I argued with her about it. But over the years, I have come to think that she was probably right.
Yes sir different faces same memories

I still say, life was way easier in the 50's 60's maybe even the 70s in general than now days UNLESS you are a high paid millenium or whatever making crazy money but still can't pore piss out of a boot with the directions wrote o:rofl:n the bottom!!!!. OK so not all!

Life is never hard if you don't realize when it is hard!

The more you have, the more you want. Having and wanting is same as needing.\

Make the most of your days whether young or old...one day you might have outlived most all your friends and family.

I still say, life was way easier in the 50's 60's maybe even the 70s in general than now days UNLESS you are a high paid millenium or whatever making crazy money but still can't pore piss out of a boot with the directions wrote o:rofl:n the bottom!!!!. OK so not all!

Life is never hard if you don't realize when it is hard!

The more you have, the more you want. Having and wanting is same as needing.\

Make the most of your days whether young or old...one day you might have outlived most all your friends and family.
Very true

The story of the old outdoor toilet

The first house I was aware of up until six, at first had an outdoor toilet. This was WAY nicer than anybody would build for a house, especially such as that old house. I'm pretty certain it came from Farragut Naval facility, which was an area training base during WWII.

When Dad and Gramps remodeled the house, they removed the outdoor toilet and stored it just sitting in Gramps back field. We moved onto that place when I was 6. When I was ?12-14? some relatives came up to visit and stayed a couple weeks, and Gramps had a little cabin out back of his "new" place, so he came and got the old toilet and installed it out there by the "guest house."

About the time I graduated HS, Gramps retired, and built his retirement home on his property up the hill from where we lived--his old house. He and my step-grandmother wanted to camp out up there a few days at a time building the new house, so they moved the old toilet up there

So that is Farragut---my young downtown house--stored out where I grew up--Installed at Gramps--and moved and installed at Gramps retirement place. So at least FIVE locations that old toilet has been
===============================================

The day Gramps moved that old toilet for the last time, I was going home out Pine st. I was near town in a residential area, and this horrible unrecognizable sight came into view. "Something" was parked at the side of the road. It turned out Gramps old pu had broken a U joint, and there, much mortified and generally upset, was my step gramma waiting for Gramps to get back with help. And in the bed of the pickup----dirty side to the rear---was that damned old toilet!!!!

And thus was born the first true Porta Potty.
Before that they just dumped out the back of the wagon.

Oregon Trail Camping is a Thing Now With New Covered Wagons | That Oregon Life

I know it will rub some the wrong way but this is exactly what comes to mind when I hear people complain about being asked to wear a mask or comparing it to Nazi Germany .
Can you imagine what runs thru a Jewish survivors mind when they hear that ? They were literally hunted and killed or tortured ! Or anyone living in the middle east ( yes ...that is a product of there own religious fanatacism) having to live with the Taliban in their community .
Try living in parts of Mexico with the cartels and kidnapping rampant.
Or maybe Russia which is really just a warmed over version of Stallins communist days.
Or parts of Latin America with massive gang problems and weak government / corrupt police. Your 8 year old either joins the gang or is murdered/beaten/raped.
Maybe North Korea ? Whole population is starving with a Kim Jung Il at the helm throwing his relatives into pits of wild dogs or shooting them point blank with a Howitzer !
China? Nuff said....

YEAH...America has really gone downhill ! They ASK us to wear a mask to protect our older population (us..).

Yes there is a fine line between personal freedom and public responsibility not a perfect system but a lot better than the alternatives

-
Back