strengthening k-frame question

-

75dodgedart

Reaction score
Hello all ,

I just got this k - frame for a 75 dodge dart 225 slant 6 , old one was welded up around the lca pivot shafts(worked great) but is cracking again so its time to get it done properly, what can a welding shop/metal shop fabricate to strengthen up the k-frame? I am getting it sandblasted, then powder coated black, and redoing the whole front end again, sick of it being the flying spaghetti monster , the steering coupler was wasted (made alot of wheel play), and the steering column bearing was wasted as well, what can be added to the k-member to make it stronger? Im also adding a rear sway bar as well, the Dart is looking sweet all black :burnout:

heres the Dart [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXh3vH8ufs"]1975 Dodge Dart Custom *after body work - YouTube[/ame]

the k-member before
xpahyw.jpg

M0par 4 life,

God Bless

weld up the cracks then grind the welds smooth and weld a washer with the same size hole as the lca pivot over that. weld the pinch weld seems all around and brace the wide side opening on the steering box mount with metal plate, even a small peice will make a big difference.

k-member is getting its modifications done at the shop, cant believe how crappy those welds were from back then, steering box area will be reenforced, lca pivot shafts, skidplate, its gonna be alot more stronger
got it sandblasted today, after I get it back it will be powder-coated black its gonna be looking sweet,

pics tomorrow,

God Bless

Mopar 4 Life

Don't forget that those cars were built in the day of bias ply tires. You would lose tire traction long before suffering effects from a flexing K-frame.

Now that we have available fat, sticky, radial tires, frame integrity takes on real meaning.

Got the K-member back from the shop beefed up, looking better, now its getting powder-coated black,

pm6o1.jpg

166ajoz.jpg

29xtfed.jpg

zkgw9g.jpg

xfs2v5.jpg

517jbr.jpg

More pics to come,

God Bless

Mopar 4 LIfe

I'm still trying to figure out why its cracking.I have owned many mopars since I have been driving and have never broke one.and I have dun things with them that should have broke the car in half.........Artie

The k-member was suffering from lca pivot rot back 3 years ago when I first got her, the Dart was down at the beach rotting (Pacific Beach,CA got it for $450), so I can attribute that to the tweaking of the metal, the front sway bar welds were coming off as well, so in an attempt to fix it fast to get back in the road, I got help from a member on here , and had the lower control arm shafts welded up (on both sides it had rotted thru it was pretty gnarls),the salt down at the beach ate right thru it im sure and driving it without knowing it was cracked sure didnt help,
the k-member in the picture is a different k-member then the one currently in the car, it was a temporary fix and now I am replacing it completely with a re-enforced k-member, get the k-member back today all powdercoated, then time to get the front end re done, also ordering subframe connectors, and a rear sway,

more pics to come

God Bless

Mopar 4 Life

Got the k-member back from being powder-coated, looks way better,

jaupg7.jpg

9qbsiq.jpg

time to start putting the front end together, cheers

God Bless

Mopar 4 Life

What did it look like before??? Maybe the pic isn't helping, but it looks like all your bolt threads got coated too. Hope I'm wrong.

-
Back