Supercharged or Stroked 360

Supercharger or Stroked

• Total voters
-
Take a look at this before you make up your mind. I know its a small block chevy engine that are boosting. But the same will apply with any engine. Simple amazing the H.P. they get from a turbo on very little boost.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjApe2C8_h4

This is not the full video I was looking for. The base line for the motor with carb was 450 H.P
just added the turbo.

what do you get when you stroke a 340 +1/4 inch? A .040 over 360....

This is not the full video I was looking for. The base line for the motor with carb was 450 H.P
just added the turbo.

As awesome as I think turbos are, I really don't have the skill to fabricate anything to my liking. Plus it's added weight to the front, again.

Whatever my next project is, I'll most likely go boosted then. Whether supercharger or turbo.

Yes adding very little weight to the front. Any form of racing has the same mathematical equation. Power to weight ratio. Doubling your power and gaining less than 100 lbs will give a much better power to weight ratio. Just food for thought.

Yes adding very little weight to the front. Any form of racing has the same mathematical equation. Power to weight ratio. Doubling your power and gaining less than 100 lbs will give a much better power to weight ratio. Just food for thought.

Correct, and I understand that; however it's where the weight is located and what type of traction and safety measures I have implemented into the system is what would dictate what an achievable hp number may be.

What does a four inch stroke 360 make? TORQUE. What do five speed 3.55 geared street cars like? TORQUE
A stroker will make more power at street friendly RPMs than non strokers, can be more docile and be less octane sensitive because they are not so high strung. To much torque fairy tail, you wont be able to hook wives tail BS its an accelerator NOT A TOGGLE SWITCH. To those who don't have a stroker you want one if you dont you haven't driven one. I have 2 a 422 ci 340 and a 408 ci 360 and I wont do standard stroke engines again unless its a must. TORQUE it just makes sense.

What does a four inch stroke 360 make? TORQUE. What do five speed 3.55 geared street cars like? TORQUE
A stroker will make more power at street friendly RPMs than non strokers, can be more docile and be less octane sensitive because they are not so high strung. To much torque fairy tail, you wont be able to hook wives tail BS its an accelerator NOT A TOGGLE SWITCH. To those who don't have a stroker you want one if you dont you haven't driven one. I have 2 a 422 ci 340 and a 408 ci 360 and I wont do standard stroke engines again unless its a must. TORQUE it just makes sense.

What you say is true but this guy wants to autocross, Tires brakes and chassis setup is way more important than power, going deeper and carrying more speed through the Corners and accelerate sooner off the corner then the next guy wins events. Too much power can make all that harder and even next to impossible to setup

What you say is true but this guy wants to autocross, Tires brakes and chassis setup is way more important than power, going deeper and carrying more speed through the Corners and accelerate sooner off the corner then the next guy wins events. Too much power can make all that harder and even next to impossible to setup

Very true. I feel like anything more than 350-400 whp would bee too much. My brakes, chassis, and suspension should be more than plenty to hold it. If I get that much power, I think I'll need wider and stickier tires.

I'm assuming you haven't autocross yet, I'd just get a decent power train in there and start taking it out and get the chassis sorted out and build the engines as you improve so you can build the powerband and level where needed.

I'm assuming you haven't autocross yet, I'd just get a decent power train in there and start taking it out and get the chassis sorted out and build the engines as you improve so you can build the powerband and level where needed.

I've autocrossed a bit with my daily driver (2011 Scion tC). It's completely stock except for some Michel Super Sports up front and PS2's out back. The stickier tires up front definitely help get the back end around more. I've done about 3 events in the past 4 months (that's including the one I'll be going to tomorrow). I did about 2-3 last summer, but now since I'm out of school, I can make it a monthly habit. I'm definitely not the best driver, but I've been getting better.

Chassis, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes on the Dart are ready for power. 6-point cage is almost done and subframe connectors are going to go in.

So, I went autocrossing today and asked some of the other guys running CAM-T what they thought about the Supercharger vs. Stroker debate. Most of them told me to just run it as is after I get a rebuild. "What's an extra 20 lbs?" I did meet up and talk with the owner of FiTech that make a pretty nice fuel injection kit. That may definitely be a viable option.

Basic low compression build balanced and forged pistons, mild cam and run the blower!!! Or low comp stroker and blower. You already have it and 20-30lbs aint **** for added weight!!! You'd never know it was there from that perspective plus build bigblock torque to boot??? no brainer for me JMO

boost or stroke will work. Your Right Foot, will have More Control, of the power at all rpm with a well "cam choice" Stroker!

Built the stroker, Have Brian at IMM spec the cam out for you. Then go have a blast learning how to control/compete with a Mopar!!!

Basic low compression build balanced and forged pistons, mild cam and run the blower!!! Or low comp stroker and blower. You already have it and 20-30lbs aint **** for added weight!!! You'd never know it was there from that perspective plus build bigblock torque to boot??? no brainer for me JMO

Ironically, now that I went to the autocross and talked with some people, this is the direction I think I'm going. I think if I purchase the Fitech EFI system, Brian at IMM would be more comfortable with the boosted engine. If I go forged internals, I could easily, and safely bump the boost.

I think with boost you'd want MPFI/SFI more than a throttle body.

Considering you're already spending a bunch of money, why not go all out with the Super Victor EFI intake and some Megasquirt?

Okay, and coil-near-plug lol

Other than the wiring being tedious, and making the stuff for the crank sensor, it was very easy. Super powerful computer.

I'd be worried about the FITech having enough adjustment (and the self-learning) on a boosted engine.

I don't know why this went back to the top, but if anyone is wondering, I ended up going with a stroker engine. Engine builder was most comfortable with it and has done the setup he's building many times. He projects it will make 525-575 hp which was much more than I was expecting/wanting but it should be alright. Dyno day is scheduled to be sometime in mid-January.

Here are some specs on the engine: 408, forged SCAT rotating assembly (4.00" stroke, 0.030" overbore), EQ Magnum Cylinder heads adapted to the LA block, hydraulic roller cam and lifters, ARP fasteners, Milodon Road Race oil pan and pick up, 1.6 aluminum rocker arms, Marley 5/16 push rods, 750 DP carburetor w/ 1/2" carb spacer, MSD Ready 2 Run distributor, match-ported Edelbrock LD4B etc.

As for the supercharger, I really don't know what I'm going to do with it. Save it for this engine, buy a '73-75 Ramcharger/D series/W series pickup and slap it on, or sell the whole setup (supercharger, heads, M1 intake, and blow-through carb).

I think with boost you'd want MPFI/SFI more than a throttle body.

Considering you're already spending a bunch of money, why not go all out with the Super Victor EFI intake and some Megasquirt?

Okay, and coil-near-plug lol

Other than the wiring being tedious, and making the stuff for the crank sensor, it was very easy. Super powerful computer.

I'd be worried about the FITech having enough adjustment (and the self-learning) on a boosted engine.

EFI is definitely in the future for the Dart. Hopefully, in as early as a year, but since it's not going to be boosted I'll have a bit more options.

My 416 is good for 10.50s with no power adders but needs 110 octane because of iron heads.

Attachments

• 20151130_164721.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 226
I'm not sure if I'll be selling the supercharger just yet. I still haven't even gotten it back. I've already been contacted by 10+ people asking if I'd sell it to them. For all I know, it may just end up on the shelf.

-
Back