Susie R/T

-
I once had a "66 Cornet 383 wagon...Sigh, (wipe away a tear) I pulled the engine and crushed the rest. I was 17...

just spent the last hour with a tape measure in one hand and a drill in the other lol.

I had to convince myself its straight.....its so weird how it looks crooked when I stare at it and then I can leave it and come back and stare some more and it looks straight and back and forth.

Attachments

• CIMG5185.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 388
  • CIMG5186.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 423
  • CIMG5187.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 416
I think I have convinced myself that I like where the emblem landed. I looked at it real close from several angles.

with a straight edge I can tell the bottom of the T is slightly higher than the bottom of the slash like it should be.

So I think it should be fine...................I hope

unfortunately its poor resolution when you upload pics to this site

Attachments

• tumblr_nhwmle442G1s3pgtho1_1280_zpsy8kgnhlm.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 402
  • CIMG5190.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 405
  • CIMG5189.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 401
  • CIMG5188.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 382
Here is my thoughts on this car.....no rhino liner top..:puke:....yuck! Many Mopars looked good in 2-tone, many 60's and 70's Mopars came with that and did not look like "easter egg cars" as you call them.....I would rather have a egg colored car than one with a rhino line top......old beater 4x4 rock cralwers have that around here, not a cool old car.....does it have lots of damage on the roof and you want the easy way out to hide it? :scratch:

The wheels....gotta be 15''....wether they are chrome aftermarket or stock painted steelies with dog dishes....wagons need a beefy tire.....not a 14" with full wheel cover unless its stock grandma car.

If this car were mine, it would get it painted a cool color like ugly green, or my favorite color on a B-Body....T5 Bronze 1969 color, I know its not stock but neither is anything about your build,,,,,I just wish you stuck it out and kept it a woody, those always get more attention that way....I would pass on the R/T badges...but its your car.......wagons are cool and I love mine, I really wish it had the woody trim, but oh well....your car will look good when done, just trying to help with ideas and hope it looks cool when done...my 2 cents.....

Here is my thoughts on this car.....no rhino liner top...yuck! Many Mopars looked good in 2-tone, many 60's and 70's Mopars came with that and did not look like "easter egg cars" as you call them.....I would rather have a egg colored car than one with a rhino line top......old beater 4x4 rock cralwers have that around here, not a cool old car.....does it have lots of damage on the roof and you want the easy way out to hide it?

The wheels....gotta be 15''....wether they are chrome aftermarket or stock painted steelies with dog dishes....wagons need a beefy tire.....not a 14" with full wheel cover unless its stock grandma car.

If this car were mine, it would get it painted a cool color like ugly green, or my favorite color on a B-Body....T5 Bronze 1969 color, I know its not stock but neither is anything about your build,,,,,I just wish you stuck it out and kept it a woody, those always get more attention that way....I would pass on the R/T badges...but its your car.......wagons are cool and I love mine, I really wish it had the woody trim, but oh well....your car will look good when done, just trying to help with ideas and hope it looks cool when done...my 2 cents.....

hi hello, suggestions are sure welcome. to answer the questions in order:

the top is very straight. The bullit charger has been the main inspiration behind this build....although I know its not a charger nor a 2 door......The coronet is in the same blood line as the charger. This car is going to eventually get the charger rally dash set up.

Because the bullit charger has the vinyl top was the only reason I felt the need to simulate a vinyl top which was the motive behind the rhino liner idea. However in thinking about it, I am with you in that I was actually backing away from the idea.

I do like the dog dish idea but as I am finding, the correct hub cap is very hard to find and I am not willing to pay big dollars for them off of ebay. If I had some in my barn I would use them for sure but I don't and I am having a hard time finding a good set on a budget. Main reason items like this are on a tight budget is because I am not skimping on the paint. I am actually going all out on the paint because if it ends up black I expect a shine that looks five feet deep.

Again the main reason behind the black was the inspiration derived from the bullit charger, in sync with the bullit charger I was leaving the flat coronet hood and no scoops and no tail stripes or other markings. Just a solid black finish with the r/t emblem as the only tell tale sign as to what is under the hood.

I am with you about the woody and in fact I even went through a phase the other night when I was kicking the internet bushes looking for the trim. If you would have seen the original trim in person you would have agreed that it was junk. It was bad and next to fresh paint it would look like pure garbage. I already tossed it out so I am not looking back now. The other reason I am not worrying too much about the woody is because I have another wagon almost identical to this one and that car still has the wood grain and nice trim.

I am not set on the black still thinking about it.

Thanks for the input, these threads are great virtual garage chatting. :)

Attachments

• i002075.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 419
now comes the icky part ....I started taking the built up floor section panels from the back wagon area.......( found another dead mouse carcass.....GROSS) Found an insulation mouse nest behind the drivers side tail light.

But I made progress and ran into a few screws that needed to be ground off. I am really dreading taking the headliner down but I am starting to think its going to be necessary given the previous mouse problem. I was avoiding it and making myself believe that a good original headliner is good enough and don't fix it if its not broken............

to be 100% complete I think now that the headliner HAS TO COME OUT!!! lol

I am planning to put on a respirator and suit up and dig in. Maybe finally ....FINALLY, I will get rid of that weird smell. #-o

kitty was standing on guard as she sat perched on top of the car while I worked.

Attachments

• 20150918_212414.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 359
  • 20150918_212425.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 20150918_212441.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 376
  • 20150918_212447.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 20150918_212454.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 20150918_212503.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 372
Only Krazy Kuda Karl,would post that,lol. Was curious if you decided on paint system choice.

Only Krazy Kuda Karl,would post that,lol. Was curious if you decided on paint system choice.

well, I was asking around at one point to see what everyone else uses. For me, my comfort zone is with PPG, only because when I was auto school that is all I used and learned on.

The community college auto school I went to was in cahoots with the local PPG dealer so he "donated" a lot of paint in the name of education knowing we would learn on it and return as customers. Diabolical really :evil3:

Because I chose the color black, I was figuring the PPG Omni paint system should get it done. Omni is the "cheapy" line within PPG but its actually pretty good stuff. I have a lot of experience with it and the only downside is color matching. Usually its really hard to get Omni to match many of the newer colors and real vibrant colors, especially greens. Its ok for overalls but to match a customer car or something like that ..........HORRIBLE!!

But for a basic color like black it should work. They sell the Omni 9300 which is pre-mixed black and its about as black as black can get and cheap. Its available in single or BC/CC which was another debate I had with myself. I think I am going BC/CC, its more money but to has the more "buffable" surface and potentially deeper shine. The BC/ CC is adding maybe a couple hundred bucks to it, but really on the big scheme of things that is not bad.

I am a bit chicken to try non PPG paint because right now its out of my comfort zone and unfamiliar territory to me.

well, I was asking around at one point to see what everyone else uses. For me, my comfort zone is with PPG, only because when I was auto school that is all I used and learned on.

The community college auto school I went to was in cahoots with the local PPG dealer so he "donated" a lot of paint in the name of education knowing we would learn on it and return as customers. Diabolical really :evil3:

Because I chose the color black, I was figuring the PPG Omni paint system should get it done. Omni is the "cheapy" line within PPG but its actually pretty good stuff. I have a lot of experience with it and the only downside is color matching. Usually its really hard to get Omni to match many of the newer colors and real vibrant colors, especially greens. Its ok for overalls but to match a customer car or something like that ..........HORRIBLE!!

But for a basic color like black it should work. They sell the Omni 9300 which is pre-mixed black and its about as black as black can get and cheap. Its available in single or BC/CC which was another debate I had with myself. I think I am going BC/CC, its more money but to has the more "buffable" surface and potentially deeper shine. The BC/ CC is adding maybe a couple hundred bucks to it, but really on the big scheme of things that is not bad.

I am a bit chicken to try non PPG paint because right now its out of my comfort zone and unfamiliar territory to me.

I understand,.. Omni is thinner than normal PPG paint.(seen it shot,shot it..) Spend the extra moohla ,for what your comfortable with. I learned Martin Senour, as a parts guy/hobby paint guy. The extra money/ knowing what your spraying familiar known product is worth it.

its been extremely difficult finding time to work on Susie with family stuff and a thousand other time demands.

The inevitable happened in the last work session. THE HEADLINER

I was denial that the headliner had to come out, it looked really good for its age and was not even sagging at all. I think the fact the car was a factory roof rack delete car was the reason it was in such good shape in regards to moisture warp and sags.

It turned out to be a NASTY job. each panel had a mouse nest and droppings. I wore a paint respirator the whole way through and it was just nasty.

It was definitely a necessary evil job that needed to be done to be complete and finally rid the car of the strange lingering smell.

Attachments

• CIMG5230.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 304
  • CIMG5229.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 311
  • CIMG5223.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 279
  • CIMG5235.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 312
figured out why the rear dome light didn't work .....seems a mouse chewed the wire right above the driver seat

Attachments

• CIMG5237.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 273
  • CIMG5240.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 292
You are doing the right thing with the mice motel.
I currently have an ex-mice motel on wheels, no matter how much cleaning you do, every once in a while on a hot day you get a hint of mice.
This is after ripping all the upholstery out but the dash pad.
Painting the floor with por15, new seats, carpet, and painting all the plastic, etc.
I swear that smell will never go away 100%

slowly but surely ....I am actually staying focused on this car....even after a week of distraction after distraction :???:

I started disassembling the dash ....its the last frontier to find any more mouse remnants. the original dash is really that...........original. I doubt its ever been apart before. The radio sure looks like its never been out for any reason.

I am closely documenting which bolt goes where.

The camera date is wayyyyy off because that was last night. (not set after battery change..DOH)

I am finding that not much translates from the standard dash to the rally dash. All the really nice standard dash pieces from this car are being donated to a friend's GTX project.

I am trying to assemble as much as I can of the rally dash on the wall lol .

The rally dash pieces I am still missing are going to probably cost a fortune ...........but a little at a time. Rome wasn't built over night as they say #-o

Attachments

• CIMG5281.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 276
  • CIMG5280.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 262
Hey Rani...I have a mouse problem in my house. Would you take care of it for me?

if I remember right from my B body days, the rallye dash would basically need its original harness. i'm sure a good electronic person could rig their own though.
I think the wagon would look great in solid black. perfect straighting work will be the obvious key. being able to paint in a booth would sure help keepout the dust and dirt.
I have had good body men advise if budget is involved. use the lower end epoxy and primers, and go with the top of line finishes. I think everyone would agree PPG is plenty good co.

[/QUOTE]unfortunately its poor resolution when you upload pics to this site[/QUOTE]

try posting your pics from photo bucket....I up load mine at 1024x768, quick to load and is a good size on the forum....

unfortunately its poor resolution when you upload pics to this sitetry posting your pics from photo bucket....I up load mine at 1024x768, quick to load and is a good size on the forum....

yea, I am going to have to look into photo bucket or some external photo host. These pics are from a 16 MP set to max resolution and uploaded to look horrible.

well at least you guys get the idea of what's going on here at Rani Acres for now lol

-
Back