Swinging for Divorce…

-
I had a friend in Auto Body in college paint my 1963 Baja Bug in my dad’s building for beer and a ticket to a concert that was The Cult and Metallica!

No it was a 1963 Beetle with a baja kit on it. Same guy painted my tube frame buggy that was mid engine with a 180hp Pontiac Quad 4 in it. That thing flew!! Sold it a friend a few years back and he still runs it in dunes.

I had a friend in Auto Body in college paint my 1963 Baja Bug in my dad’s building for beer and a ticket to a concert that was The Cult and Metallica!
The first car i ever painted was a Bug, in a cold garage. Must have had a million runs in it. LOL

Well no not paint related. Car is back in the shop.

Got some new shoes…. Been waiting 4-5 months for these to come in! I couldn’t afford the high tops as those suckers were selling for like 2-10k at the time wtf.

IMG_8224.jpeg

IMG_8225.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8228.jpeg

Damn 77 degrees and 45 degree humidity feels good… I was going to work on it yesterday but I went to hang my Pabst banner and fucked up my finger when the drill slipped off the boot and the bit went straight into my finger. Luckily it’s not on my main work hand, this one just holds the mirror. I’ll have to get some finger condoms for the tip…

Working on brakes now.

Rears are done, DrDiff 10.7in rear discs. Almost bought the size up, 11.2in I believe, but these looked less complicated and looked like they matched better.

Went with 11.7s for the front and that is where I’m stuck currently.

I found out I already had 11in backing plates and 11in caliper brackets, cool I can do 11in on the purple car.

Dr Diff gives new caliper bracket bolts, but they are Allen heads which kind of sucks, especially for me since I don’t have Allen head sockets… I guess I’ll go buy some… or maybe different bolts.. or both…

Then I believe the race (I think that’s the name for the outer portion of the bearing) is already in the rotor. I need to remember how I got the seal on my rotors last time without breaking it, I bet I just got a large socket and tapped it in nicely…

IMG_8357.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8374.jpeg

IMG_8375.jpeg

IMG_8378.jpeg

IMG_8386.jpeg

IMG_8387.jpeg

IMG_8392.jpeg

IMG_8391.jpeg

Oh I also went to another paint shop on Friday… didn’t take the car as the shop is behind someone’s house (pictures of his place), shop was nice… he used to do a lot of cars and have multiple guys working for him but he is as he calls it “semi-retired now,” and he is picky with cars he does now. He had a GTO and fast back mustang getting Kody work right now and The body work on the cars looked great! Another car was in the spray booth that he keeps at 70 degrees 24/7 because it is “the proper curing temperature.” He mixes paint on site and the paint jobs on cars I saw there were very good. He wouldn’t give me a quote because he can’t get the car in until the spring and he wants to see the car first, also didn’t really guarantee he would do the car but is interested in seeing it in a couple of months if I’m still looking for someone. I think he will be in the 15k+ range.

I also met with an older mopar guy and his son, the older guy was early to mid 60’s. (This guy was referred to me by an older mopar racer in town. guy) They offered to do it, they do the body work at their house, about 45 minutes from me. Then they have a deal with a local paint shop to use the paint shops booth to spray cars. 9k was their all in price.

IMG_8344.jpeg

IMG_8343.jpeg

9 is better than 15 and I am not that bright! You may have discovered a winner.

9 is less than 15, yes, but at what cost? Does the quality go down, lesser materials, prep work, warranty? Maybe a lot different maybe no difference? I haven’t seen the older gentleman’s work yet.

The $9K guy might just surprise you since they have been doing it for a while. I'd certainly look at their work and see if there is $6K worth of difference in them and the other guys.

I hope you didn't drill far enough down into that finger to hit the nail bed. You might lose the nail if you did. I bet it hurt like a S.O.B. !! :eek:

The $9K guy might just surprise you since they have been doing it for a while. I'd certainly look at their work and see if there is $6K worth of difference in them and the other guys.

I hope you didn't drill far enough down into that finger to hit the nail bed. You might lose the nail if you did. I bet it hurt like a S.O.B. !! :eek:

I agree, I’m going to try and get over to look at the persons work, and I hope they surprise me. They want the car in Oct, I’m not quite sure I’ll be ready by then but…

This is the shop close to me. Auto and motorcycle custom paint and bodywork in Springfield, MO

I think I am going to lose the nail, I pulled a chunk of nail and chunk of skin/tissue out that was just hanging on. Yes it hurt, hence me not doing anything yesterday after it happened. It’s not to bad today, just sore when I hit or lightly tap it against anything.

Went to HF to pick up some wrench organizers because the ones I currently use keep falling over… plus I wanted to look at tool chests…

Shoot I really want another tool chest… that Icon is nice! I’d definitely be happy with more US general boxes and then getting a couple of those end cabinets from Icon…

When I got home to work on my car my wife has other plans for me… hey at least she is cleaning her stuff out of my shop

IMG_8418.jpeg

IMG_8420.jpeg

IMG_8419.jpeg

IMG_8424.jpeg

Damn! Hope you didn’t mess up your nail bed with the drill bit. They never seem to fully recover.

-
Back