T-56 Transmission Install Thread

-
Riddler, I'll admit I don't know sh** from shinola. But just reading only the posts on this page 9.

Are the ACT diaphragm spring fingers located the same distance as a stock unit? In other words, if you put the clutch cover on a flat surface and measured from the surface to the tips...is it the same distance as a stock unit? I don't know where your 1/2" spacer goes but it must be to get the TO bearing in the correct position in relation to the clutch spring tips. Sounds to me like that may be off and the clutch fingers are depressed all the time and maybe causing slippage between the disc and PP. Reduce the spacer thickness?

It also sounds like you are not getting enough clutch departure. (Fingers need to be depressed a greater distance.) Do you need more fluid to the TO to increase distance? (Bigger master cylinder bore)

I'm reading this because I want to put a 5.7/OD manual in my 68 and debating if I should piece something together or get a complete take out from a newer Challenger.

Ouch!

Yeah that's cooked. Throwout release was set incorrectly, so it was riding the clutch and everything was slipping.

I think the clutch disc is bent. Installed and torqued down backwards during an all night thrash while drinking.

Gonna measure again and prolly use the 1/2” spacer instead of the 5/8”.

I measured out to needing .620”. Which a .500” spacer should work. We tried a .625” cause we though the clutch wasn’t getting released. We were correct. It wasn’t fully releasing due to a bent clutch disc. You can see the one side about 3/4” is grinder off the outside.

Riddler

I think the clutch disc is bent. Installed and torqued down backwards during an all night thrash while drinking.

Gonna measure again and prolly use the 1/2” spacer instead of the 5/8”.

I measured out to needing .620”. Which a .500” spacer should work. We tried a .625” cause we though the clutch wasn’t getting released. We were correct. It wasn’t fully releasing due to a bent clutch disc. You can see the one side about 3/4” is grinder off the outside.

Riddler

That would certainly explain it! Hard to set the throwout right if the disk is warped

Looks like I finally get to join this T56 party!

94A4967A-0D18-406A-9CD4-98779F787718.jpeg

@Riddler OR anyone else have a picture of the spacers they are using for the ToB?

It depends a lot on what transmission and what throwout bearing you use. You can buy them, RAM makes a bunch of different sizes that you can get through Summit. But I wouldn’t buy them until you measure. 72BBswinger used a 1/2” spacer with his Viper stuff, the T56 magnum and ‘vette TOB only needed a small shim.

I also used a 1/2. I've tried a bunch of different ones when I was having issues but it turned out to be a bad clutch. I have a steel prototype one that I used brought to a waterjet and had them make me some.

Riddler

It depends a lot on what transmission and what throwout bearing you use. You can buy them, RAM makes a bunch of different sizes that you can get through Summit. But I wouldn’t buy them until you measure. 72BBswinger used a 1/2” spacer with his Viper stuff, the T56 magnum and ‘vette TOB only needed a small shim.

I also used a 1/2. I've tried a bunch of different ones when I was having issues but it turned out to be a bad clutch. I have a steel prototype one that I used brought to a waterjet and had them make me some.

Riddler

Sweet thanks. I’m running an LS1 T56. Haven’t figured out the slave cylinder situation just yet. Quick time Bell, 440.

How do you suggest measuring?

In a shocking turn of events, it turns out an ebay seller lied. The pullout I got came from a 2007 car, not a 2010 so that would make this a T56, not a TR6060. I'm still planning to use as much of the stock bellhousing/clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing as possible. Everything is in the car and the trans tunnel/suspension clearance issues are fully resolved.

Now to figure out a few more things.

shifter: Sounds like the 2003-04 Cobra shifter from Hurst is what most are using. Is this safe to just buy or do I need to do some measuring?
driveshaft yoke: attached below is a photo of the output end of the transmission. Can I just take off this stock yoke and install a driveshaft with a slip yoke? Anyone know what spline count I'll find under there, or do I need to get that off first? I don't have a socket that deep...
throw out bearing: can I use the stocker? I'm using a Wilwood 3/4" m/c. Also attached a photo of my clutch pedal linkage.

IMG_20200616_174059.jpg
IMG_20200607_120543.jpg

In a shocking turn of events, it turns out an ebay seller lied. The pullout I got came from a 2007 car, not a 2010 so that would make this a T56, not a TR6060. I'm still planning to use as much of the stock bellhousing/clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing as possible. Everything is in the car and the trans tunnel/suspension clearance issues are fully resolved.

Now to figure out a few more things.

shifter: Sounds like the 2003-04 Cobra shifter from Hurst is what most are using. Is this safe to just buy or do I need to do some measuring?
driveshaft yoke: attached below is a photo of the output end of the transmission. Can I just take off this stock yoke and install a driveshaft with a slip yoke? Anyone know what spline count I'll find under there, or do I need to get that off first? I don't have a socket that deep...
throw out bearing: can I use the stocker? I'm using a Wilwood 3/4" m/c. Also attached a photo of my clutch pedal linkage.

View attachment 1715546975 View attachment 1715546976
You’ll need an adapter. Can’t just put a yoke on it. However, they do make and sell an adapter for this very purpose. They range from 200 to 400. Here’s one for example.

Malex Motorsports 3 Bolt Flange Adaptor for T56 TR6060 6L80e NAG1 1350 Uni

I would measure to be sure. Always measure.

I was scrolling through and attempted a search , does anyone know if when mounting a T-56 to an LA if the clutch needs to be reverse hub ?

-
Back