TF270 vs. Edelbrock Victor

-
The two times I tried a back to back test between a 337 and an Indy 440-2....... the -2 was better.

One test on a 700hp-ish build, one on an 800hp-ish build.
There was a pretty noticeable difference on the higher HP build.

Imo, the main claim to fame for the 337 these days is...... decent power with a pretty low carb pad height(might fit under a stock hood).

There are 4 different stage 6 intakes that look like the 337.
The 4 configurations only fit either std or MW stage 6 heads on an RB block, and come for either 4150 or 4500 carbs.

The 337 is for an RB(without stage 6 heads)with MW ports and a 4150 carb.
The primary purpose of this intake was to be able to run it on non-raised port MW heads(like stock MW heads), which is why it has the built in valley cover.
It is for the same basic application as the 440-2, but the 440-2 doesn’t have the built in valley cover.

The RB MW intake line up:
Indy:
440-2D
440-2
440-3
440-3x
Mod man(with a large variety of top plates)
Box ram
Tunnel ram

MP:
Repro/stock X ram

Edelbrock:
Super Victor

Last edited:
I expected the SV to be better than the 337 and I would expect a -2 or -3 to be better but for some reason on my 514 the 337 worked slightly better. But after testing a bunch of other engines on the same dyno I've slowly started to think that the 514 was a bit "special". It made a lot more power than it should've given the parts that were in it. I'm pretty sure the numbers were accurate since we dyno tested it multiple times over a period of several years. But we have never built another engine that came close to making the same power with the same basic parts.

Bottom line I agree with your line of thinking. The 337 works really well, especially for a low profile intake, but I wouldn't call it a race intake. Dang good street intake though if you can find one.

My father is building a 440/512 for his new 69 dart.

We are looking at running the TF270 or the edelbrock victors.

How do these two heads compare? On paper the edelbrock heads seem to have a little more. It looks like the TF270 heads flow [email protected]

Thoughts?
I would go straight to the TF270. I have the cnc'd by hughes victors MW and they flow [email protected]. There is something not right with this head as it does not make the power a 440-1 would or even the 270. The victor wants high compression to work it seems. I now have 12.5:1 and best ET in a 3400# street car is 10.06@134, but with 11.25:1 best was a 10.40@129/130. I have a SLT [email protected]" i think it could use a bit more cam now.

-
Back