The 70 Duster......

-
yes ...only upward and onward from here.

man, you got a lot of irons in the fire ....makes sense since you have a lot of iron.

good luck going forward my friend,

Denny

Here is a pic...... I had the shop weld in some extra bars on both sides in the door opening. The rotisserie also has bars welded in on both sides of the "feet" that run from the front of the rotisserie to back "feet" to hold it square and help support the front and back from moving. Plus the car has the US Car Tool subframes welded on, so there should not be any movement at all on the rotisserie.

Attachments

• 70 Duster FJ5 pulled from shop 4-16-13 .jpg
    83 KB · Views: 715
Okay, after a long couple of weeks. My wife and I drove down to the coast for the weekend. And also to visit with her parents. Took some time to think about what is going to happen with the Duster. I am going to let a few shops look it over. Then I will decide on what course to take.

A- work with what we got (the Duster)
B- sell the /6 Duster and locate a 340 car that needs resto (since I already have a lot of the parts bought)
C- have the 73 Barracuda redone and use the 360 in it (sell the Duster, parts and parts cars for it)
D- SELL all the remaining unfinished cars and buy a finished car to install my new drivetrain in

Should have an idea of which way I am going within the next month or so! Meanwhile I will be going up to finish clearing out some of the cars that are already spoken for and awaiting transport to their new owners and meeting some guys that are coming to pick up cars/trucks that they bought. The 71 Charger, should be finished in the next week or so. Then the 71 Dart is nearing completion on its minor refresh. Probably have some pics of those in the next couple of weeks! Can't wait to get them both out and go driving around!

Attachments

• USS Lexington.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 694
One week and two days till cruise night. Both cars should make it if you are in town.

I will be in town when the next cruise is going on. Have a transport company (possibly 2) coming to get a few of the vehicles during that time frame so I have to be up there anyway.

Was in hopes that I could have the new wheels in and on the Dart before I get it out. But can't decide on what I want yet so.........just going to drive it as it is if I have to.

That depends on how we feel after working around the shop in the days leading up to the cruise. Hopefully about 6-7 more cars will be leaving when I am there next. Plus we are talking about starting on hauling off all the loose scrap that is laying around.

New top is on!

Attachments

• 71 Charger April 25, 2013 new top on.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 640
  • 71 Charger April 25, 2013.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 671
Just got back from another quick trip up to see the cars. Both cars are now tagged and legal to be on the road again!! The windows should be in the Charger this week. The Dart is almost done also. Just changing the steering box now. Anyway both cars should be ready to drive when I make my next trip up there!!!!

Attachments

• 71 Charger May 4 2013 Back.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 626
  • 71 Charger May4 2013 Pas Fr.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 619
Also picked up the motor that I had built for the Duster project.....

Attachments

• 70 Duster FJ5 motor May 2013.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 634
And got 3 more cars sold and gone. Getting those thinned out is making it easier to get more done (cleaning around dads shop and taking care of things at my parents) while I am there.

Attachments

• 71 Charger 71 Dart May 4, 2013.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 609
Glass is in..... now just a front end alignment from being able to going cruising......

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 610
  • Picture 022.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 587
Thanks. It has been a long road to say the least! I still have some things that I want to fix/correct and improve on with the Charger. But those are little items that we can mess with after we put a few miles on it. I want to find some better chrome for the car. The original trim has 40 years of dings and dents. The front grilles are not painted correctly and the shifter T-handle is still really loose for some reason. But all in all the theme of the Charger build was to build a car that we could drive and enjoy. The paint and body work are no where near show quality but at least I don't have to worry about getting rock chips and all that on a 10k paint job. I think the car will serve its purpose well.

Going to call in the morning and see about getting the front end aligned. If they can get it in tomorrow morning.......we are going driving around tomorrow!!!!! Then head back home Tuesday and start planning things to tackle on my next trip up here.

Front end alignment......check
Test drive........check (short)
Big smile......OH YEAH! check

Terry took care of the car and even gave me a friends and family price! THANKS MILLER FRONT END!!!

Attachments

• 71 Charger at Alignment Shop.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 551
Made the trip home today. Sold off 4 more cars on this trip. Also with the help of family we got the Duster to a new temporary home.

Attachments

• Duster May 20, 2013.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 533
Actually saw it being sanded on yesterday. Maybe you will be able to have it at Chryslers in the Canyon with the other ones in October

Should have 2 ready. Then when Larry looks over what Dimples, I mean previous shop, did on the Duster we will see which way to go with the Duster. When we went out to pick up the Charger Larry was working on the Dusters roof. I told him, "You better quit that. The car is not used to people messing with it"!

I tried to talk him out of doing the Duster and redoing the orange car.... :) Only time will tell which one(s) get done.

Hopefully ordered the last new pieces for the Charger....

Charger Specialties...
71 B-Body Rallye Dash Speedometer (150mph)
71 B-Body Rallye Dash Tach

Vans Auto.....
71 B-Body Passengers Chrome Mirror

MCB Metal Finishing....
71 Charger door handles (exterior)

Ebay....
Parking brake handle

Also I dropped off some chrome trim at Classic Stainless Shop to have them restored and polished. I still need drip rail mouldings and the passengers side windshield trim to have the complete set done. But they are going to start on what I left them and those should be done in a month or two.

It's getting close to that point. I fully intend on driving the Charger and Dart around the next time I come up there. It may be a couple of weeks but I have a few more cars to list if they have not been paid for and picked up by then. Also I need to get the Petty Blue Dart Sport dug out and cleaned up so I can list it. I had been waiting to list it last, since it was inside out of the weather.

I saw GREEN today

I heard something like that......then the email arrived! Just glad the car is FINALLY in the right hands to get it finished! It has been about 4 years and 8 months since the Duster project got underway. Larry has probably done more on the car in the short time he has had the car, than the first 2 shops did in the 4+ years they had it. From what I understand Larry had to redo the quarters, some areas on the roof, the tail panel and a few other areas. That is just on the shell. I have not heard what all he had to fix on the doors, fenders, trunk lid and hood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 458
-
Back