the good ole days?

-
Those were the days my friend
We thought they would never end!
Just remembered that old song lyrics.
Funny the things we remember!
Now when I look back, my parents and grandparents were alive, life was so much more simple, people had time to just relax and enjoy life. Ahhh, I do miss those times.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they would never end!
Just remembered that old song lyrics.
Funny the things we remember!
Now when I look back, my parents and grandparents were alive, life was so much more simple, people had time to just relax and enjoy life. Ahhh, I do miss those times.

I remember that song very well, 1968, even though I was only 8 it made me feel sentimental and a little anxious about the changing times. My favorite "wild" Aunt drove down from New York in one of those Hertz Shelby Mustangs and that song was on the radio. Those were the days!

Is it just me, or do you remember that foods tasted better, and not just because of mom's cooking. Remember when a grilled burger had such a good taste. Today the taste is not the same
I recently had some buffalo burgers with meat from a local farm. It did taste like burgers from the past. I guess it's like buying vegetables from the grocery store or the farm, there is a big difference in taste. I wish I had room for a garden, but although I have the space, I have to many trees covering the area that could be used as a garden.
Yes, those were the days.
I guess I'm just another old man who loved the past!

Goldfish65, are you going to be safe with the storm coming up the coast? The latest maps are showing the storm turning away from the north Carolina area where we live

I just had a thought about my grandmother Briles. Remember the party line phones. No cell phones, these were wired to the wall. Grandma would spend hours eavesdropping on the neighbors phone calls. I guess now with cellphone technology we may not know who may be listening

I just had a thought about my grandmother Briles. Remember the party line phones. No cell phones, these were wired to the wall. Grandma would spend hours eavesdropping on the neighbors phone calls. I guess now with cellphone technology we may not know who may be listening
HA! yes Andy of Mayberry fame, I had to tell the operator the number i wanted! Dawson,G.....a 50's , 60's some..... ha....... Stevens Industry, the town's plant that made peanut butter. the smell of it on an afternoon, the whole town smelled like warm peanut butter and roasted peanuts! IF I had only had a jar of chocolate!!!!!

Child of the 60s .....mom used to bake bread - from scratch! We went out to eat never, didn't know what a restaurant was. Raised our own beef, pork, and poultry, veggies - all of it. Hunted for everything else, and it was all good. We were not poor, Dad got a good job at " Ma Bell", but he grew up in the depression and taught us well, we wasted nothing! The lowest I can remember gas being was 29.9 and dad was furious! Staying inside the house because a solar eclipse was happening and if we looked at it we would surely be blinded. We got 2 TV channels and were not allowed to watch until your homework was done. Watching the daily evening news always ending with the number of casualties for the day in Vietnam.........absolutely glued to the Zenith watching a man walk on the moon. The entire school watching a replay the next day with all teachers cheering/ crying.....I could go on but........it was a really good, safe time and place

Dad brought us to Denver in the middle of winter in a 47 Jeepster soft top 1959. Grew up in the city cruising 16th street long before it was a mall. Street raced for $10 a gear and if you won you could go buy more parts or fixed what broke. Cruised to the Scotchman drive in and backed in so you could watch everything from moms station wagon to Anglia's or Henry J's with dropped front axels and super charged. Ditch classes Friday afternoon and head to CDR or Bandimiers, sleep in the parking lot and not go home till the last car left Sunday.

People who say these are the good old days now haven't a clue what they're talking about. Talk about living in a fantasy world.

I remember when gas was 39 cents a gallon. A gallon of milk was under a dollar fifty. You could get into a picture show for ten bottle caps or a six pack of bottles. You left your doors unlocked all the time. When neighbors actually knew each and cared about each other.

The good old days weren't JUST all about cars. It was a whole different ball game back then. If you haven't lived it, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I remember one night coming back home about 10:30 and a broken Buick was in the parking lot at a gas station at Clay St and US 30, the corner right by US30 Dragstrip.
I drove him over to Dyer Auto Parts at the Illinois Indiana state line, which was 24 hour in those days, we got him a fuel pump and he went on his way to Joiliet.
I miss so many things about the old days.
Especially a 5 day workweek.
I have been working mostly 7 days for 7 years, very depressing.

People who say these are the good old days now haven't a clue what they're talking about. Talk about living in a fantasy world.

I remember when gas was 39 cents a gallon. A gallon of milk was under a dollar fifty. You could get into a picture show for ten bottle caps or a six pack of bottles. You left your doors unlocked all the time. When neighbors actually knew each and cared about each other.

The good old days weren't JUST all about cars. It was a whole different ball game back then. If you haven't lived it, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about.

And when you adjust your numbers for inflation that .32 gallon of gas was actually almost the same as a gallon of gas today or even more. The median price for a gallon of gas since 1918 is $2.68 hitting it's lowest price in 1998. http://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

A $1.50 gallon of milk in 1971 adjusted for inflation today is a whopping $8.92. US Inflation Calculator

I know my neighbors and we help each other out all of the time. We still have freezer food from neighbors from when a family member passed in February. I have a growing stack of old brake rotors in the garage from helping my elderly neighbor and single mom with a disabled kid neighbor. Perhaps the main thing that has really changing is how much time the modern older generation is spending it's time viewing the world through the lens of internet and 24hr news.

I know you are correct about inflation, but seemed like I had so much more money then. But then again I wasn't married, and didn't have 2 kids in college with another one who has gotten married and we have a new granddaughter. I definitely wasn't retired and. Working part time.
Life is good now as it was then, different, but good

All you need is too see this and know the old days were better. When stars were stars!

Do any of you remember when Red Skelton said the Pledge of Allegiance and explained each word on his weekly comedy show. And today you can protest because of issues in our country today. Not saying everything is good today, because it isn't.

Good old days, Riding in the bed of a pick up truck, wearing a seat belt IF you wanted too. Wearing a motorcycle helmet IF you wanted to. Having a lot more freedom over your own life. Our government needs to realize they cannot protect people from themselves, no matter the laws the shove down our throat's .

I knew this fuzzy math would pop up. Keep on adjustin. Did you also adjust for our ridiculous tax rate AND the fact that we are taxed on EVERYTHING now as compared to then? No. You did not. So it is NOT the same at ALL.

And when you adjust your numbers for inflation that .32 gallon of gas was actually almost the same as a gallon of gas today or even more. The median price for a gallon of gas since 1918 is $2.68 hitting it's lowest price in 1998. http://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

A $1.50 gallon of milk in 1971 adjusted for inflation today is a whopping $8.92. US Inflation Calculator

I know my neighbors and we help each other out all of the time. We still have freezer food from neighbors from when a family member passed in February. I have a growing stack of old brake rotors in the garage from helping my elderly neighbor and single mom with a disabled kid neighbor. Perhaps the main thing that has really changing is how much time the modern older generation is spending it's time viewing the world through the lens of internet and 24hr news.

I knew this fuzzy math would pop up. Keep on adjustin. Did you also adjust for our ridiculous tax rate AND the fact that we are taxed on EVERYTHING now as compared to then? No. You did not. So it is NOT the same at ALL.

Nice deflection. You used Milk and Gas as an examples (bad ones).The purchase price of milk and gas already includes the tax. What tax rate are you implying? Effective, Sales, Maginal?

If you want to talk comparative tax rates we can do that too. But you probably won't like the results and try to deflect again.

Nice deflection. You used Milk and Gas as an examples (bad ones).The purchase price of milk and gas already includes the tax. What tax rate are you implying? Effective, Sales, Maginal?

If you want to talk comparative tax rates we can do that too. But you probably won't like the results and try to deflect again.

It's not the RATE, but the NUMBER of taxes as compared to then. Seriously, you cannot be this obtuse.

It's not the RATE, but the NUMBER of taxes as compared to then. Seriously, you cannot be this obtuse.

And there it is. Moving the goal posts once again with a deflection.

"Did you also adjust for our ridiculous tax rate"

then

"It's not the RATE"

Which is it?

And what does this have to do with thecost versus inflation on Milk and Gas?

ALL OF IT! The rate, the number of taxes......the WHOLE ball of wax.

Are you seriously saying you don't think we have more taxes now? Nobody's deflecting anything.

And there it is. Moving the goal posts once again with a deflection.

"Did you also adjust for our ridiculous tax rate"

then

"It's not the RATE"

Which is it?

And what does this have to do with thecost versus inflation on Milk and Gas?

ALL OF IT! The rate, the number of taxes......the WHOLE ball of wax.

Are you seriously saying you don't think we have more taxes now? Nobody's deflecting anything.
So far I haven't said anything about the amount, volume,or number of taxes. What I have said is that your example of the purchase price for gas and milk adjusted for inflation is on par and lower than today. At which point your went and accused me of using "fuzzy math" and still have not addressed the comparative purchase price for gas and milk.

-
Back