The Humble Bee

-
Sounds like you got yourself a good man there Roger.I'm sure that makes ya feel better about any other problems ya might run into. That's how I run my business,last job today was a warranty,they were willing to pay but it was something I should have done the first time I was there.Let's hope everything goes smooth from here on in.I'm workin on a whiskey right now so I will have a drink to your future good times in the "Humble Bee".8)

Yea Dave , there should be more business people like you and him. Who knows, I may even get to drive it before I have to go back to work.

It just so happens Glo and I are having cocktails on the patio. here's to ya.:drinkers::drinkers:

... This guy has been a pleasure to deal with and obviously believes in the " He put his name on the job ".

I already like him! Not many people go above and beyond in this day and age and it's refreshing to witness. I'm sure he'll have you all fixed up soon Roger ... with a work ethic like that, I doubt if he's getting much sleep in the meantime.

I already like him! Not many people go above and beyond in this day and age and it's refreshing to witness. I'm sure he'll have you all fixed up soon Roger ... with a work ethic like that, I doubt if he's getting much sleep in the meantime.

" Not many people"....Leanna, I truly believe there are many people like you, Dave, and Doug, and a host of small business owners who adhere to honesty and fairness. It's what it's all about; plain and simple ethics !

And even though the "situation" has not been fully resolved yet I'll put in a plug for Doug Kennedy of Kennedy Machine in Urbana,IL.

After a call yesterday, he closed his shop and came to my house. Just to let him know of the problem, I sent him an e-mail yesterday evening and he called 5 minutes later and was the first call I got this morning. He told me, " If that's the intake you want, I'll MAKE it work".

Kinda sounds like the way things are supposed to work.

" Not many people"....Leanna, I truly believe there are many people like you, Dave, and Doug, and a host of small business owners who adhere to honesty and fairness. It's what it's all about; plain and simple ethics !

And even though the "situation" has not been fully resolved yet I'll put in a plug for Doug Kennedy of Kennedy Machine in Urbana,IL.

After a call yesterday, he closed his shop and came to my house. Just to let him know of the problem, I sent him an e-mail yesterday evening and he called 5 minutes later and was the first call I got this morning. He told me, " If that's the intake you want, I'll MAKE it work".

Kinda sounds like the way things are supposed to work.

Pop had a similar situation, Roger, rebuilding an Olds engine for client. The valvetrain geometry wasn't quite right, so he called his machinist who did the head work. Since you're putting in a plug, so will I. Bob Myers, of Performance Automotive Machine and Engines in Greeneville, TN climbed in his truck, came to Pop with a few tools to check with and helped Pop right there on the spot figure out what was going on. He closed down his own shop to do so.

It's that kind of ethic that got him the head work on the Dip. That engine had heads on it that were 2.02 valves when it was in the Duster. Pop went to stock J heads to de-tune it for the Dip. The local machinist here didn't seat the valves deep enough, the installed height was no where close. I sent them to TN to be done right. While they were there, Bob also noticed a few other things that he didn't like about them and took care of it: free of charge.

I agree with you about the small business man working hard in customer service. It's something a lot of the bigger stores have forgotten.

My machinist called at 0803 this morning; the shop next to him can't get the Bee in until first thing tomorrow and my machinist has made arrangements for the tow. Since I had some time this week-end not blowing up the 7 1/4 rear end I managed to get 2 resto'd tail lights in. I made the back-up lens from ceiling light material and used Semi-Chrome & Mother's polish to attempt the finish. Left housing to body gasket is home-made but then found Detroit Muscle Tech' gasket set and used on right and will use for insides.

jsw_img_1671.jpg

jsw_img_1672.jpg

jsw_img_1723.jpg

jsw_img_1724.jpg

The only new pics I could post would be those with the plug wires on.

Got a call this morning to take the Humble Bee for a test drive. The machinist took care of his problems and the new shop got the tranny "fixed". The park lock cable was installed incorrectly by the "other" shop ( guess they forgot to refer to the cd shop manual in the glove compartment). The tranny still leaks from the park lock cable connection but will research the necessary parts and correct when home again. I have to leave first thing tomorrow morning for 4 weeks at work but at least got to cruise around town a little today. Have to get a 160 thermostat to replace the 180 ( sucker was close to pegging the temp gage so parked and let sit for a couple of hours ) and intend on ordering a shrouded electric fan.
The machinist said to not abuse a freshly rebuilt engine but not to be afraid to "get on it some". I had no fear !
Tweaking the Lokar kickdown, carpet, headliner, of course the tranny leak fix, body touch up, and attempting to rework the "new" but slightly damaged candy cane rec'd today,......OK , I'll stop for now.

Speaking of "candy cane"....special thx to cudaspaz for his thread re: Mopar "junkyard" and the connection which led to me actually getting candy cane ( and some extras thrown in ).

Last night at home for next 4 weeks, gonna sign off and cuddle with wife. For those in the 50, have a great ( and safe ) 4th week-end and for all others, ....well...have the same...especially the safe part.

Got a chance to see the Humble Bee in person last night. Great-looking car and the engine bay is looking stellar.

Well since I received no reply from either my "parts wanted" or the several salvage/vintage parts places I contacted about a fan shroud I went to making my own again. I made one last year also of wood but it looked too clunky and heavy so last week I started again. One of the curved pieces ( lucky the bottom ) fractured while the epoxy was setting and was not discovered until too late and out of epoxy. In the next few days I'll get the halves coated with FG resin, painted, and the anchor tabs placed along with probably a clip or screw together something on the angles to help hold shape. It's getting there, slow but sure.

Regards to all, Roger

jsw_img_1982.jpg

jsw_img_1983.jpg

jsw_img_1984.jpg

jsw_img_1985.jpg

jsw_img_1986.jpg

jsw_img_1987.jpg

jsw_img_1988.jpg

You know Roger, the fan shroud on my Cuda is a modified Ford shroud. My trunk divider is a custom piece of very finished oak and I always planned on building a console to match. But a wooden fan shroud never even occurred to me. It looks like your progress is amazing so far! Can't wait to see the finished product.

You know Roger, the fan shroud on my Cuda is a modified Ford shroud. My trunk divider is a custom piece of very finished oak and I always planned on building a console to match. But a wooden fan shroud never even occurred to me. It looks like your progress is amazing so far! Can't wait to see the finished product.

THX Leanna, how 'bout some e-mail pics of your console. I've thought of that also to replace the little stock one on the 65.

I'll send them when / if it ever gets built. :-D The trunk divider was just finally installed last night so I'll get you some pics of it shortly.

I'm trying to use the Humble Bee as my SDD ( semi daily driver ) and this evening pulled into our fav' watering hole to meet Glo after she got off work. Before I could open the door to order a beverage a guy on the patio button-holes me with, " How much do you want for your car ?". My reply was, " No way man, I have too much invested to get anything back", he countered with, " How much do you want for it ?".

There may be a sale in the future or not. Regardless, my head could barely fit through the door to get beverages.

MAN ! Did that make me feel good or what ? Opened up the hood for him and made a point of the resto VC's by Leanna ( gotta add mega bucks to sale price ). He was thinking about a car for his 16 yr old son who just got drivers license ( alarm bells ) and who is evidently a mature 16 yr old and loves old cars.

Mom showed up and sent a pic to son who responded with, " Hell yea, I like it". Sorry son, not for sale. 16 yr old responds with, " Everyone has their price". +$+$+$+$

If they want to buy for son, who am I to get between parents and child.

Fantasy over ! I would sell to Dad but not for use by 16 yr old son.

Today's young people have no idea how to drive a vehicle with no computers, ABS, all drum brakes, etc.

However, I must admit so just a little bit of............YEA !

I'm trying to use the Humble Bee as my SDD ( semi daily driver ) and this evening pulled into our fav' watering hole to meet Glo after she got off work. Before I could open the door to order a beverage a guy on the patio button-holes me with, " How much do you want for your car ?". My reply was, " No way man, I have too much invested to get anything back", he countered with, " How much do you want for it ?".

There may be a sale in the future or not. Regardless, my head could barely fit through the door to get beverages.

MAN ! Did that make me feel good or what ? Opened up the hood for him and made a point of the resto VC's by Leanna ( gotta add mega bucks to sale price ). He was thinking about a car for his 16 yr old son who just got drivers license ( alarm bells ) and who is evidently a mature 16 yr old and loves old cars.

Mom showed up and sent a pic to son who responded with, " Hell yea, I like it". Sorry son, not for sale. 16 yr old responds with, " Everyone has their price". +$+$+$+$

If they want to buy for son, who am I to get between parents and child.

Fantasy over ! I would sell to Dad but not for use by 16 yr old son.

Today's young people have no idea how to drive a vehicle with no computers, ABS, all drum brakes, etc.

However, I must admit so just a little bit of............YEA !

Don't blame you for having a bit of a ego after that encounter.

But from the kid's response it tells you that mommy and daddy will throw money for the kid.

Should've seen how high that number might go...:snakeman:

Don't blame you for having a bit of a ego after that encounter.

But from the kid's response it tells you that mommy and daddy will throw money for the kid.

Should've seen how high that number might go...:snakeman:

I know Robert, but I can not knowingly sell a vehicle a 16 yr old has no business driving. It's different for us "mature" individuals who were raised on these vehicles. OK, if M & D came up with an outrageous amount of money I would still want a legal document re: " I am not responsible". Which is a cop-out ! So, I keep it.

Ego.....? Who me ? .....Yea, it felt good !

I know Robert, but I can not knowingly sell a vehicle a 16 yr old has no business driving. It's different for us "mature" individuals who were raised on these vehicles. OK, if M & D came up with an outrageous amount of money I would still want a legal document re: " I am not responsible". Which is a cop-out ! So, I keep it.

Ego.....? Who me ? .....Yea, it felt good !

Didn't say you had to sell it. Just see how high they would go...:snakeman:

Then listen to the kid whine that they didn't go high enough to convince you...:snakeman:

Feelin' a little evil tonight....:iconbigg:

Didn't say you had to sell it. Just see how high they would go...:snakeman:

Then listen to the kid whine that they didn't go high enough to convince you...:snakeman:

Feelin' a little evil tonight....:iconbigg:

Have to sell ? No....... Knowing the car would go to a recently licensed teenager.........No matter what the offer was/is , I could not accept. I do not want to know a kid killed himself or someone else because he didn't know how to handle a 45 yr old car with a "hot" engine. That's just not in my play-book. And Robert, .....I gotta feeling you know that. Appreciated.

Have to sell ? No....... Knowing the car would go to a recently licensed teenager.........No matter what the offer was/is , I could not accept. I do not want to know a kid killed himself or someone else because he didn't know how to handle a 45 yr old car with a "hot" engine. That's just not in my play-book. And Robert, .....I gotta feeling you know that. Appreciated.

AMEN! I bought my Challenger when I was 15 and without a license, my Dad let me do it only because I had to build it before I could drive it. Any kid that wants a BAD A** MOPAR needs to build it themselves. Its not right if their parents buy them one they can just hop in and drive.

AMEN! I bought my Challenger when I was 15 and without a license, my Dad let me do it only because I had to build it before I could drive it. Any kid that wants a BAD A** MOPAR needs to build it themselves. Its not right if their parents buy them one they can just hop in and drive.

Jamison is really looking forward to the day he can build a 408 for his Duster. He's 15 now and grandad and I simply won't let him build anything more than what he has: a mild built 360 with the 4 speed to back it up will do just fine. Once he gets the handle on that and learns to drive more confidently and gets a start in his career, then he can think about serious horsepower. Until then, though...

Just thinking back in the day. Maybe it's because I was taught by a professional driver - Pop drove truck for a living and put 3M miles on the wheel of a tractor/trailer - that he had no problems throwing me the keys to the big block Plymouth in my signature. Of course, he was along for the ride a lot of the times and was there to guide me through some of the maneuvers, but I also learned to respect the car. At 16 I had limits before it did.

-
Back