The official FABO machinist/member collaboration, busted 340 thread

-
I want to know what Oregon does to the guts of these lifters.

I'm hearing that new lifters aren't cutting the mustard. Is this the only option these days?

Wonder what is causing failures, assuming correct methods are used for installation, along with coating all surfaces with a break-in lube typically supplied with cam & lifters? Metallurgy?
As far as I know, nothing. I believe they just remachine the face. We will disassemble them when we get them back and update.
Interesting, what do you do to update internals?

Good stuff here folks:thumbsup:

As far as I know, nothing. I believe they just remachine the face. We will disassemble them when we get them back and update.
The good news with lifters is, they spend their whole life slam fulla oil so their hydraulic failure rate is probably pretty low.

I'm hearing that new lifters aren't cutting the mustard. Is this the only option these days?

Wonder what is causing failures, assuming correct methods are used for installation, along with coating all surfaces with a break-in lube typically supplied with cam & lifters? Metallurgy?

Interesting, what do you do to update internals?

Good stuff here folks:thumbsup:
The reason we used the older lifters, is they were nearly new in the early 80s, ran only a short time, so by using them, we know we have better metallurgy than the china ones available currently. We will disassemble and inspect/clean internally, but I think our chances are pretty good!

replicaracer43 is a stand up machinist. Nice shop. Since I only lived an hour away, I went there in 2020/2021 with the date coded 340X heads from the 68 GTS 340" I bought to fix up. Very nice shop. Extremely clean. Dude cares about his work. Whoever this motor is for, they are in good hands.
If I lived close to him, I'd have no problem taking stuff to his shop. I can tell, he'd be particular to almost a fault... lol

Got the lifters back from Oregon cam grinders, they look excellent, disassembled each lifter and cleaned internally, and in case yall thought we were sleeping, started the shortblock assembly.

20221108_143037.jpg

20221109_084915.jpg

Got the lifters back from Oregon cam grinders, they look excellent, disassembled each lifter and cleaned internally, and in case yall thought we were sleeping, started the shortblock assembly.

View attachment 1716008429

View attachment 1716008430
Question, My old purple cam was put in the box my new cam came in.
I read on the box , warranty void if use of reground lifters.
Your thoughts on why?
Thanks

Question, My old purple cam was put in the box my new cam came in.
I read on the box , warranty void if use of reground lifters.
Your thoughts on why?
Thanks

Because regrinding lifters can easily be done wrong.

The bottom of the lifter MUST be a radius. A half a sphere. And it should measure .0015-.0020 across the face with a dial indicator in a lathe. I’m sure there are better ways to measure that but the lathe is simple, fast and it works.

When it is done wrong you can almost see a point in the center. And while it may measure to the above specs, that near point in the center means it’s not ground to a radius but is ground like a wedge.

Thats a HUGE difference and it matters. I’ve seen more lifters ruined with a regrind than I’ve seen done correctly.

The last set I had done were done through Schneider Cams. And I had the guy on the phone because I had some questions and they aren’t done in house at Schneider.

Those lifters are done correctly and his finish is incredible because he is using a CBN wheel rather than a vitrified abrasive to reface the lifters.

Thats the only place I‘d trust to reface my lifters.

I wont be the least bit surprised if this cam fails, there is simply NO guarantee on cams and lifters. Keeping our fingers crossed and taking every possible precaution

I wont be the least bit surprised if this cam fails, there is simply NO guarantee on cams and lifters. Keeping our fingers crossed and taking every possible precaution

What size cam???

I have a few older ones sitting around and can donate one if needed...

Yeah, I'm extremely apprehensive about the Ford 400 I am now swapping into Gladys. I got the Crower Camsaver lifters from about 5 or so years ago, as I collected parts ahead of the actual assembly. I hope they are good. Single springs, .515 lift old school Crane Fireball. I hope it turns out.

I thought so! How much are they stickin out?
If I remember correctly, its .017 out of the hole. One side was way different, and twisted so i had to cut more than I would have liked. Also had to machine the piston tops to keep the compression in check after all the square decking

-
Back