The slant or the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ok, Bill. I love how you're fired up about what YOU want to do. But let people make thier own minds up. You don't have to try to talk everybody and his brother into a turbo slant. Much as I agree with you that they are awesome, it's just not what everybody wants to do. Maybe a simple "hay have you thought about turbocharging?" would work. Less work for you and there's an open ended question that should get a black and white answer. I love the color green, but I don't spend a lot of time trying to convince other people to like it.

OMG! The head of the nail has been hit!!! I agree with this statement in full, 100%, a tad more for what is in bold!!!!!!!!

There is no doubt Bill and his cohorts have done some cool work, NO DOUBT!

But OH dear Lord the sheer amount of badgering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, start a thread! "How to Turbo your /6"

Get a head start in the back room of your house, think about what you want to write, go over it with a few buddy's, dig up some pictures and post it up.

When your ready, let me know, you write, I'll lock it up so it stay's clean until it's finish. (Or as clean as possible since someone allllways must chime in)

Then, you can copy and paste the threads link in your sig. Ask the question like scamp said and say, click the link in my sig for a how to turbo the engine.
It sure beats writing this over and over and over and,... HEY! Scamp, you ready for thead Holey thread?

Ok im not with the bill on his ideal i want a street car with good maners lol stock slant for me well almost stock lol and just to make sir rumble happy i will start a thread for bill that rumble can make sticky if is so wants to lol now i have had a 318 to but .. a slant is diff its like rumblefish360 just a guess but i bet he likes v8s its all bout what u want to do with ut car well im getting the heck outta here b4 it gets any deeper lol btw good luck being in on it rob lmao

Thanks for answering my question rumblefish360, much appreciated and I will check out what you posted thanks.
Brad

HEY! Scamp, you ready for thead Holey thread?

The Holley is the one already up. The Thermoquad is next. I have one to do for me, buy JMacMopars wants me to do his and I thought I would do the write up using his, but he has not had time to send it yet.

My first sentence to that original poster was, "Have you ever considered turbocharging?"

...and right there wouldda been a good place to leave it. Why not do like rumblefish is suggesting? Sit down and really do a good write up on it. I mean spell check it and all. Make it look really professional. You're always sayin you don't know much about turbos....I'm callin bullshit on that because you have learned a ton doing your own project. You're a cool old geezer and have a lot to offer. It's just that you slam blow peoples minds with it at every corner. If you do a nice write up, then you could just say "try this link to my write up, it might be something you like"....or some such. rumblefish is offerin to take time outta what he normally does to sticky and lock a whole thread for you....I would take advantage of that....hell, I did with my Holley write up and will again with my Thermoquad write up. You don't need to get the wrong idea here.....I don't think anybody is against what you're doin. I think it's cool as all snot and I am planning to turbocharge my 170. But look the FRIG out, because I am gonna use some state of the art stuffo when I do mine. Don't you think it would be cool to have all of your info in one spot? I sure do.

i i like that ideal bill cuz just with talking to ya im like DUH DEE whats he saying lol i have to read thgings more then one time to get it if it was all in one spot i could do so and learn bout it i say do it for us young guns

What are you trying to do with the car? You want it to be the fastest car on the road,a good driver,trailer queen? If you swap in a V8 you will need

Transmission
Radiator
Rear axle
K frame or motor swap brackets
Exhaust
Suspension/brake upgrades etc...

How much is all that going to cost you?

transmission? (3 speed) did you mean bell housing etc
rear axle ???????
suspension/brake uprade (torsion bars should be done anyway)

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 65 Dart 273 and recently got a 64 Valiant slant 6. I want to try things with both, and will definitely keep the slant, even though a V-8 would drop in the K-frame. I had a slant for 20 yrs until stolen. Australians developed the slant into a racer. I am starting to look at neat parts from down under, like long runner aluminum intakes. My wife will like to drive the convertible, and is afraid of muscle cars, so upgrades must maintain driveability and be more for wow factor.

transmission? (3 speed) did you mean bell housing etc
rear axle ???????
suspension/brake uprade (torsion bars should be done anyway)

No I meant transmission. Depending on what 3 speed he has,it is not up to the task of handling a SB depending on the HP and level of abuse.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=168029
If you think that is not the mindset of MOST A Body "newbies," then you just haven't been paying attention.

If they're open-minded and can concentrate on the facts long enough to compare the two types of powerplants' virtues, they may decide that the really SMART thing to do is to leave that 225 in place, and spend some money on forced induction.

But, if they don't have access to the information that would allow them to make an informed decision, they'll likely do the "monkey-see-monkey-do" thing and contact Scumacher for a set of conversion mounts.
i apologize for my inexperience in making my own decisions on whether or not to pull that giant turd of a slant six out and not because i saw someone else doing it. V8 power is much more affordable and cost effective than trying to turbo charge and break the bank in a trial and error set-up that most dont want to mess with anyway. i commend you for going after a high horsepower 6 build, but honestly, how much bullshit have you already gone through just to get the pieces together and how much cash have you already pumped into it? the smartest thing i could have done was pull that turd out and replace it with some real V8 power, not spend 5 figures on turbo charging it.monkey see and monkey doo are two entirely different things when it involves a grip of cash and a turbo that may not even work out without breaking something or blowing it up. you really need your own thread on a step by step slant turbo build so that others that may actually want to go that route can learn the pros and cons and costs of it instead of reading about how great it is without any real answers about how to do it. i can almost bet that at the end of the day, you add up all the money you have spent on it , you could take the same cash and pump it into a V8 that will outrun it.im not trying to stir the pot here, but when you call someone dumb for wanting to swap their 6 for a V8, it ruffles feathers. i am by no means knocking the 6 here (no pun intended lol) just sayin'. thats all, im done here.

Bill, a couple of people besides myself have made a issue about your flag waving and taking this (And other ) threads into a flag waving event on your one man crusade on turbo charging the /6 to a degree that I am now the receiver of PM's complaining about your mud being slung on threads.

I guess I'll have to follow you around.... GREAT! More B.S.

Now that I think about it, IF anybody else wants to have there (older) threads cleaned up from Bill's ranting, let me know (PM me) with a link and I'll get on deleting his comments from the point you spec out to me and on.

Bill, a couple of people besides myself have made a issue about your flag waving and taking this (And other ) threads into a flag waving event on your one man crusade on turbo charging the /6 to a degree that I am now the receiver of PM's complaining about your mud being slung on threads.

I guess I'll have to follow you around.... GREAT! More B.S.
You know rumble i like reading his posts to tell the truth but there really long . cant we all just get along ?:violent1:

I still like my slant 6 and will be staying Naturally Aspirated !!!Bill has a lot of good info in his threads,and I have to say it makes you think about turbos !!!:prayer:

"when you call someone dumb for wanting to swap their 6 for a V8, it ruffles feathers"

I never used the word "dumb" in any of my posts. If you're gonna accuse me of something, make sure I did it

But, I have to wonder... that "giant turd" slant six is about a hundred pounds lighter than a small block V8. How much will you have to spend on it to get it to make 500 horsepower???

Just askin...

Is this car anywhere near running ?
I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the car actually ran.
You can talk all you want about adding a turbo, but until it's actually running, well it's just talk.

"when you call someone dumb for wanting to swap their 6 for a V8, it ruffles feathers"

I never used the word "dumb" in any of my posts. If you're gonna accuse me of something, make sure I did it

But, I have to wonder... that "giant turd" slant six is about a hundred pounds lighter than a small block V8. How much will you have to spend on it to get it to make 500 horsepower???

Just askin...

I don't know that I could ever say that I was expecting to get anywhere near 500 HP,I just want a healthy /6 that people can ask me why I wasted my time building that !!! It happened at Don Garlits one year when I completed my last /6 Dart,and ya know,there wasn't another one that even came close to looking as pretty as mine !! And that my friend is what I LIKE about mine !!BLING baby BLING !!!!:supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz:

To the original poster.
Since you already have a V8 car, I would cruise the slant.

I don't know that I could ever say that I was expecting to get anywhere near 500 HP,I just want a healthy /6 that people can ask me why I wasted my time building that !!! It happened at Don Garlits one year when I completed my last /6 Dart,and ya know,there wasn't another one that even came close to looking as pretty as mine !! And that my friend is what I LIKE about mine !!BLING baby BLING !!!!:supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz:
Wow u went to a show and got to see some other slants ... all the shows i go to theres just one other then me and its in a b body lol same car all the time thats why i roll the slant cuz i see v8s all the time :eye:

With so many 4 door parts cars out there, I would go with the 318. I had a /6 and all the mods make it a dead bang loser to own in cool weather. With the crazy intake manifold set up and a big carb without the heat of an exhaust manifold under the carb, The fuel pools and the car runs like junk then you foul plugs etc, etc. The /6 is a great motor if you need a cool looking anchor, not good for much else. Ma MoPaR did the right thing killing that "sewing machine" 8.25" rear=$150 ($250 w/posi), a radiator=100 and Schumacher mounts $100 a V8 A904 $100. Patience and a parts car with all of the above $500

If they're open-minded and can concentrate on the facts long enough to compare the two types of powerplants' virtues, they may decide that the really SMART thing to do is to leave that 225 in place, and spend some money on forced induction.[end quote] sounds to me like you are calling folks dumb..or wait ,maybe you meant unsmart. at any rate , post up when you get that thing pulling some actual numbers. and yes maybe a small block is all of 100 pounds more , but it is twice the hp out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back