The topless adventures of Cuda Al

-
Now the get the rest done.
IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5108.JPG

Alan

Those indoor work pics remind me of rebuilding a Suzuki GSXR1100 engine on the mattress box springs in a hotel one night.

And when I was painting the engine compartment on the swinger... wearing a tyvex suit, respirator, spray gun in hand, shooting primer, the HOA violation nazi drove up asked me what I was doing and that "painting" was not allowed in driveways. Told her I was fumigating for roaches and black widows. :lol:

Cool on the work you are doing, car looks great

Last edited:
Did a little bit during the week after work, mounted the ignition module under the battery tray. In the past I just screwed it to the tray but that left the screws going into the battery (a spacer was used to keep that from happening). Also dressed out the front of the engine. and got the harness in.
IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_5113.JPG

days later I go the hood latch washer system and who knows what else.
IMG_5121.JPG

The wiper motor was sent out to be restored.
IMG_5124.JPG

Then I noticed that the power steering belt was not aligned, the pulley on the pump was for the slant six, the small block uses a different pulley.
IMG_5126.JPG

Alan

The weekend started off with getting the radiator in and cooler lines hooked up. As shipped one of the lines was short, there was a loop that I was able to open up to make up the difference.
IMG_5127.JPG

Put the distributor and coil in then all the plugs and wires.
IMG_5132.JPG

Got the exhaust bracket in.
IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

Finished up with getting as much of the details as I could done.
IMG_5161.JPG

For the most part done under the hood.
Master Cylinder
Steering Column
Speedometer Cable
Voltage Regulator...

Other stuff
8-3/4 rear (ready to go in)
Exhaust
Steering column (needs partial detailing)

Alan

nicely done playa, looks sharp!

where'd you come up on the lower pulley? or was it all the upper throwing everything off?

nicely done playa, looks sharp!

where'd you come up on the lower pulley? or was it all the upper throwing everything off?
Nothing yet, the problem is the PS pulley, I thought it might easier to use a 3 groove lower. I sent Borgeson an email enquiring about the fix.

Alan

Nothing yet, the problem is the PS pulley, I thought it might easier to use a 3 groove lower. I sent Borgeson an email enquiring about the fix.

Alan
word. let me know how that all shakes out in that i may be headed down the same path soon-ish.

i have a scant few PS pulleys, but hit me on the tech line if you need me to put my calibrated hairy eyeball on one for ya.

We'll start off with the minor stuff.
One of the voltage regulator screws had been stripped and had a 5/16 bolt on it, a 1/4-20 rivnut solved the problem. Although the factory screws are pilot self cutting they are 1/4-20 bolts. There is a panel just behind this that almost didn't let the rivnut insert enough, as I compressed it the insert pulled the last bit seating itself just fine.
IMG_5170.JPG

Found a power steering pulley with the correct offset but it is too small, I have a correct one coming in.
IMG_5172.JPG

Got the exhaust installed, the system is from Accurate Exhaust. The rear left side bracket has a flange for the brake line so I needed to put a spacer in with the hanger.
I still need to go through it some more and tweak the alignment and tighten everything even more.
IMG_5178.JPG

Getting down to the end...
IMG_5179.JPG

Steering coupler came apart when pulling the k-member. Probably would have taken it off anyway as i needed to blast the end of the column housing and shaft to repaint and detail.
IMG_5182.JPG

All done under the hood
IMG_5183.JPG

Several hours later I went to look at it and saw a puddle of brake fluid, oops I hadn't attached the brake line to the hose, done now. (had to do the rear hose as well)
IMG_5185.JPG

Alan

Last edited:
With everything in place it was time for a test run. My friend came over and we went to fire it up and we were getting sparks from where the battery cable bolts to the block. Removed the cable, sanded the paint off both the head and the cable, problem solved. Even then we were getting nothing at the starter relay, just put a temporary neutral safety bypass in and we were in business. Once it fired up we checked for leaks and anything out of place, we noticed a minor rattle coming from both valve covers.

We shut it off and pull the covers and noticed the adjustable rocker studs were hitting the baffle in the cover, it was minor. We were able to knock the baffle in enough to clear.
IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

Back together we fired it up and let it run.

Alan

-
Back