Thermoquad throttle and kickdown linkage

-

remytherat

Reaction score
Converting my 1969 dart 318 2bbl to a thermoquad and 340 manifold. I have the 340 throttle bracket installed. Which side of the throttle arm on the carb does the kickdown and throttle linkage go? And how should I go about lengthening the throttle linkage by 1/4"? There is plenty of cable but when it is clamped down it is held slightly too far back. A pic of a similar setup would help immensely

the kick down goes to the outside on the longer/thicker stud, the throttle cable goes to the inside on the shorter smaller diameter stud that has a little hole for the jesus key

sounds like you might need the 4bbl linkage bracket to move the cable further forward, or to move the cable further forward in the clamp.

Photos would help wonders................

The kick down rod needs to be lengthened as well. 22" cable.
If you are using a " High Rise Manifold," Mancini racing has the proper manifold plate you need.
Mancini Racing Throttle Bracket Kit
If it is a factory manifold you will need a factory linkage setup from a 4 bbl intake from a 318/340/360 .
These diagrams are from the Factory Service Manuals. Download one if you don't have one yet. They are very helpful.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

340 THROTTLE LINKAGE.jpg

thermoquad  linkage.jpg

kickdownlever7071bandebody3404bbl10146_6.jpg

Pages from 1970-71 Parts Book-2.jpg

Attachments

• THROTTLE ROD ADJUSTMENT 8 CYL 3 SECTION ROD.pdf
    459.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Here are some photos. It seems like the throttle bracket as a whole is too far to the passenger side, but maybe I can make it work. It was listed on mancini as being for 1968 to 73 340

36B6F846-33DF-4E50-8232-AA8096C679B8.jpeg

492655A9-932C-40C1-9399-84BD1D8D3A0B.jpeg

AE6271CB-D41E-4FB2-901A-D8C7B50B583A.jpeg

you need a top kickdown rod (carb to bell crank on throttle bracket) from a 340 or 360 car it is already longer than a 318 rod and it is bent to kick to the drivers side for proper alignment.
DSC00518.JPG

DSC00519.JPG

DSC00520.JPG

If you don't want to get a proper rod, or can't find one, at least take the 2bbl rod and reverse the bend in the rod and turn it over (the bend still needs to go up and then down when installed). That way you can insert the 90 degree end into the bell crank hole from the opposite side like the 4bbl rod in the picture - at least it won't be so far out of alignment.

Last edited:
with the throttle bracket bolted down, and the throttle cable and clamp removed, grab the bracket next to the throttle cable clamp stud with a pair of channel locks and bend it toward the valve cover so that it lines up. Just bend the part of the bracket where the cable clamps on. Do Not bend the whole bracket because the bell crank needs to stay where it is!!!.

I still can't figure out how, with the correct throttle bracket (yes you have the right one), the metal throttle cable piece isn't in the hold down clamp - that's just really weird...

you probably need the 3577535 cable, it's the later 4bbl one and 22 1/2" long
add 2" or so to your kick down rod or hunt down the right one.

i hate that bracket. i know it's "correct" but it's so bobo. much prefer the ones that put the cable bracket on the top rather than the side and everything lines up so much nicer.

My 67 4bl throttle cable is VERY stiff/difficult to get the metal cable end in the clamp. Remove cable from carb and try putting it in clamp in proper spot. You can make/bend rod to work and look oem. That "slotted" rod needs to "flip over" and come in from drivers side of bracket.

Thanks everyone for the advice. As a new mopar guy I'm finding the strangenesses pretty amusing..

I'm going to bend the bracket where the throttle cable clamps down and see where that gets me. The cable is long enough but the sleeve which is clamped by the bracket is too short. I think if I can find a way to clamp a little further back it will work.

I will try to use the original kickdown rod by inserting it from the driver's side in the bell crank and probably bending it. I have nothing to loose by messing it up so I might as well try to use it. I have the edelbrock kickdown rod lengthener.

Funny how just about every piece of the kickdown and throttle setup is inverted from the stock 2bbl setup which had the kickdown on the inside etc

Funny how just about every piece of the kickdown and throttle setup is inverted from the stock 2bbl setup which had the kickdown on the inside etc
The 2bbl carb is about half the width of a 4bbl, maybe even less compared to that Thermoquad! The 4bbl throttle bracket moves the throttle cable toward the fender to compensate.

Converting my 1969 dart 318 2bbl to a thermoquad and 340 manifold. I have the 340 throttle bracket installed. Which side of the throttle arm on the carb does the kickdown and throttle linkage go? And how should I go about lengthening the throttle linkage by 1/4"? There is plenty of cable but when it is clamped down it is held slightly too far back. A pic of a similar setup would help immensely
Get the correct parts. Think 340 4bbl parts.
The 340 throttle cable bracket is easy. Pretty much $30 everywhere.
The 4bbl throttle rod can be a little tougher to find, but they are out there. If the kickdown rod along the firewall is adjustable, a non-adjustable kickdown rod will work.

download (1).jpeg

100_3759.JPG

-
Back