Thermostat gasket leaking AGAIN!!!!

-
The old brownish almost black with brush works.. I guy I worked with said. ....You could glue brass ball's on a monkey with that stuff.
Yup... Indian head.. or aviation.. both bout the same

Yup... Indian head.. or aviation.. both bout the same
On stock ones i use it. Holds it in place and seals.
But will admit I use Billet with O Rings on stuff when needs to be bling. They don't leak but cost

Last edited:
On stock ones i use it. Holds itbin place and seals.
But will admit I use Billet with O Rings on stuff when needs to be bling. They don't leak but cost
no problem with that, i'm just cheap :)

Ok I have the same problem. Gasket failed at the film again, that stuff turns to jelly apparently on contact with coolant.

Got the aviation sealer and new FELPRO gasket. Way different than the last 2. I guess they didn’t listen the other times I asked for Felpro. I got everything cleaned up and have another question.

What size are the bolts?
I want to get new ones as these just look nasty and missing some threads.
Here’s a few pictures of what I had.

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

image.jpg

What size socket to take them out? 1/2"= 5/16 thread....9/16 socket=3/8 thread.
Not to be a dick, but you're working on a 50-60 year old car, get a plastic bolt gauge, they're like $5, if that. If they're open holes to the coolant, make sure to seal them with Permatex hi-temp thread sealant.
Ok I have the same problem. Gasket failed at the film again, that stuff turns to jelly apparently on contact with coolant.

Got the aviation sealer and new FELPRO gasket. Way different than the last 2. I guess they didn’t listen the other times I asked for Felpro. I got everything cleaned up and have another question.

What size are the bolts?
I want to get new ones as these just look nasty and missing some threads.
Here’s a few pictures of what I had.

View attachment 1716279512

View attachment 1716279513

View attachment 1716279514

What size socket to take them out? 1/2"= 5/16 thread....9/16 socket=3/8 thread.
Not to be a dick, but you're working on a 50-60 year old car, get a plastic bolt gauge, they're like $5, if that. If they're open holes to the coolant, make sure to seal them with Permatex hi-temp thread sealant.

9/16, yea i will pick one up, probably needed of one for a while anyways, lol
the threads do not go all the way through to the coolant, that was another reason for asking bolt size was the length. i will match these up but was concerned about the bolts being to long?
Aluminum intake?
just a stock intake

thanks all

View attachment 1716278073
Both sides of the gasket..... I use this **** on anything that can leak pretty much and never have an issue

It will probably never leak using that stuff but how do you get it apart later??

A buddy and I got talked into using that stuff in 1980 on the first engine I built.

We had to take the right angle adapter off and it was a nightmare. No one I know used it after that.

Thinking about it, I’m not sure why we even wanted that off the engine. There probably wasn’t a good reason back then but when you are that young you do things for bad or no reasons.

I just remember guys were not happy about that stuff.

It will probably never leak using that stuff but how do you get it apart later??

A buddy and I got talked into using that stuff in 1980 on the first engine I built.

We had to take the right angle adapter off and it was a nightmare. No one I know used it after that.

Thinking about it, I’m not sure why we even wanted that off the engine. There probably wasn’t a good reason back then but when you are that young you do things for bad or no reasons.

you are right that it can be... difficult to remove.. what i do is slide a razor around the edge of the gasket and work it around then it pops out... But... it doesn't leak :)

Jfive,
Clean everything. Run a tap with wd40 into the intake to clean out the threads and bottom of the holes. Clean out the bottom of the holes with Q tips or air. Put a rag in the intake opening to keep debris out while cleaning. Wrap a 4 inch long piece of 2x4 with a piece of rough sand paper. Spray a little black paint (speckle the surface) on the neck flange and a light color on the intake. Sand it off completely with the block. Clean the step in the neck that the stat sits in too. Post pics.

Take the best bolt to the hardware store, lay the threads up against the new bolt, heads facing opposite directions. The right thread pitch will perfectly mesh with the threads on the old bolt. Get the same length and diameter. If they are only available slightly longer, add washers. Test fit the new hardware in the holes by themselves to see if the head will go at least as low/close to the intake as the neck flange is thick.

Get a Flashpower #181491-200. O-ringed housing. This is for the large thermostat. When torquing, we are talking inch lbs, not Foot lbs, 15- 25. Had your same problem, not a anymore.

View attachment 1716278067

View attachment 1716278068

View attachment 1716278069

View attachment 1716278071
Get a Flashpower #181491-200. O-ringed housing. This is for the large thermostat. When torquing, we are talking inch lbs, not Foot lbs, 15- 25. Had your same problem, not a anymore.

View attachment 1716278067

View attachment 1716278068

View attachment 1716278069

View attachment 1716278071
where did you get it from ? mark

Glue the gasket to the t stat housing. You can pull the housing off the hose easily and get rid of the gasket with a wire brush on a bench grinder. The housing can also be resurfaced easily if needed. The intake surface not so much.

Last edited:
My thermostat housing story...

EVERY thermostat housing on any engine I have had has leaked.

Untill now!

1. I bought an OEM style repo housing
  2. I block sanded the intake, still had to end of old corrosion poc marks
  3. IMPORTANT... I cleaned out the bolt holes in the manifold till the bolts could be screwed in by hand and bottom out on the bolt head / manifold surface.
  4. I bought a gasket from Real gaskets Thermostat Housing Gasket - Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth - Older V8 Engines
  5. I installed the gasket EXACTLY AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAID AND TORQUED THE BOLTS TO THE CORRECT INCH POUND SPEC
7+ years not 1 drop and I use a 16lb cap
#5 - - so is the manual not correct in saying ft lbs?

1721671228124.png

My owner's shop manuals says the same thing, never used a torque wrench there. But I do use stainless steel washers under the bolt heads.

I fought the leaky T-stat housing battle with a recent big block build. Tried everything mentioned until I found that the Felpro gasket was de-laminating and leaking through the layers. Finally tried a gasket from "Real Gasket" company for $11.00 and problem has been permanently solved!

get a O-RING style housing and enjoy life.
The chrome ones always leak until you sand the chrome surface down with 150 grit sandpaper. Been there done that.

I've got an o-ring style chrome housing here. Go figure.

I don't remember if it leaked or not. I think I just took it off because it looked like cheap chrome dress up junk to me.

I've got an o-ring style chrome housing here. Go figure.

I don't remember if it leaked or not. I think I just took it off because it looked like cheap chrome dress up junk to me.
yeah, i kinda like the stock ones, i don't recall ever getting a leak there, i didn't know it was such an issue

My thermostat housing story...

EVERY thermostat housing on any engine I have had has leaked.

Untill now!

1. I bought an OEM style repo housing
  2. I block sanded the intake, still had to end of old corrosion poc marks
  3. IMPORTANT... I cleaned out the bolt holes in the manifold till the bolts could be screwed in by hand and bottom out on the bolt head / manifold surface.
  4. I bought a gasket from Real gaskets Thermostat Housing Gasket - Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth - Older V8 Engines
  5. I installed the gasket EXACTLY AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAID AND TORQUED THE BOLTS TO THE CORRECT INCH POUND SPEC
7+ years not 1 drop and I use a 16lb cap

Same here. Real Gaskets silicone gasket fixed my problems. Very little torque required. Retorque after your first couple thermal cycles.

. i will match these up but was concerned about the bolts being to long
That goes with my recommendation to get all the junk out of the hole.

If you put the bolt in the hole and tighten it till it stops turning ( don't tighten too much or you can crack the manifold) measure the distance from the underside of the bolt head to the manifold.

Then measure the thickness of the t stat housing.

The bolt to manifold distance has to be less than the thickness of the t stat housing.

Also always blow any liquid and crap out of a hole.. can hydraulic it and crack ****.. in case he didn't know..

-
Back