Things Change.. Butters is now getting a 392

-
Nothing just yet. Driving normal, it's pretty good. It's just when you roll into the throttle, at about 1/4 pedal, it'll give a flash of a kickdown and then resume to normal.. floor it and it doesn't seem to do it. Nick is wondering if there's something going on with the valve body because everything else is fresh. I'm still playing with different length levers to see if that makes any difference. The Bouchillion lever is much shorter than stock and that's what I had on there at first. I've been trying a longer lever for a few days now and it seems better but throw ratios are too different to work right. If I set it like it should be ..tv fully open at wot, the lever still has considerable pull on it at idle. Shorter lever and it kicks down easier yet or never shifts into 3rd. On the way home yesterday, I think it may have been getting better tho. It's just weird
The perfect solution to the kickdown problem is a manual transmission...lol

I had new fuse/relay panel sitting on the shelf that I decided to use.. Over kill with for the trunk with 4 relays and 20 fuses, but i didn't have to buy anything. I just used the fuel pump power feed as a trigger and ran a 12ga directly to the battery and fused it.

Drove into work this morning and put it under a load several times and didn't pop any main system fuses. I think the Holley pump was just too much for the system.

Ironically, while putting under a load , it didn't do the quirky kick down and just pulled hard, like a freight train. I was noticing a few days ago it was getting harder to replicate the problem when I took nick for a ride. And yesterday, I was easy on it, trying not to blow a fuse. Maybe the new trans just needed a little break in time. I'll put through some paces today and maybe tighten the TV cable up and see what it does.. Might even put the correct lever back on.

Screenshot_20240502-064256_Gallery.jpg

Shift update...

Took the Dart for a spin and everything still felt like it was shifting good, other than a little early, which is expected without the kickdown adjusted properly. So I stopped at a local convenience mart and broke out the Allen wrenches and set the kickdown for full pull at wot. 30 seconds later, I pulled out and headed back to the shop.

When I pulled out, the shifts felt pretty close to spot on, just to the point of questioning if it was going to shift or not. I eased into the throttle and it didn't do the quirky kickdown without an actual kickdown. Then I gave it the real test at around 45/50 and popped the the pedal to the floor and gave it the Chump Test... This little Dart is no chump! Holy sheeet! Instant kickdown, tires ripped loose at 50, left front rared up, *** squated and was gone. I honestly did not expect the *** to get a little squirrely.

Pretty sure it's just time to drive enjoy it now. Few less things to focus on sure makes it more fun.

Shift update...

Took the Dart for a spin and everything still felt like it was shifting good, other than a little early, which is expected without the kickdown adjusted properly. So I stopped at a local convenience mart and broke out the Allen wrenches and set the kickdown for full pull at wot. 30 seconds later, I pulled out and headed back to the shop.

When I pulled out, the shifts felt pretty close to spot on, just to the point of questioning if it was going to shift or not. I eased into the throttle and it didn't do the quirky kickdown without an actual kickdown. Then I gave it the real test at around 45/50 and popped the the pedal to the floor and gave it the Chump Test... This little Dart is no chump! Holy sheeet! Instant kickdown, tires ripped loose at 50, left front rared up, *** squated and was gone. I honestly did not expect the *** to get a little squirrely.

Pretty sure it's just time to drive enjoy it now. Few less things to focus on sure makes it more fun.

Very cool!!

-
Back