Things only a car guy would do..

-

omahamoparguy

Reaction score
I had a friend over at the shop and I started to open a bottle of flavored water that I had started to drink the week before. I think it was raspberry flavored. Before I swallowed it down, I put my nose to the bottle and took a sniff. My friend asked why I would need to smell the water before I would drink it, water doesn't go bad does it? I said that I wasn't sure but I might have put transmission fluid in the bottle for some reason and the water kind of looked like tranny fluid so I had to smell it to be sure. I thought later that only us car guys would need to do something like this. {yeah I'm getting older too so the "old-timers" is setting in a bit}. Just wondering if any body out there had any funny car guy stories like this. Enjoy!

Well, yeh.

I used to have a friend when I was stationed at NAS Miramar, until I caught him with some of my tools. One Saturday, I was over at the auto hobby shop, busy as hell. He was putting a 396 into a 57 Chev. I had helped him with some of the engine, and helped install the cam. I knew it wouldrun.

So he came in, bla bla bla, wanted to know if I had a spare coil, a spare this, on an on, and about mid morning, came in and was like, "we REALLY need some help I can't get it to run."

So I go out there

Here they are, him and 'the crew,' and there must'ha been at least a dozen soda cans in various forms.

He says to me, "we don't have fuel, up here yet, we have been priming it down the carb outta this:"

and hands me a soda can

So.......I smelled it to make sure it was actually gas.......

!!NO!! it was not gas, nor was it soda!!!

IT WAS KEROSENE OR JP-5!!!

Well, yeh.

I used to have a friend when I was stationed at NAS Miramar, until I caught him with some of my tools. One Saturday, I was over at the auto hobby shop, busy as hell. He was putting a 396 into a 57 Chev. I had helped him with some of the engine, and helped install the cam. I knew it wouldrun.

So he came in, bla bla bla, wanted to know if I had a spare coil, a spare this, on an on, and about mid morning, came in and was like, "we REALLY need some help I can't get it to run."

So I go out there

Here they are, him and 'the crew,' and there must'ha been at least a dozen soda cans in various forms.

He says to me, "we don't have fuel, up here yet, we have been priming it down the carb outta this:"

and hands me a soda can

So.......I smelled it to make sure it was actually gas.......

!!NO!! it was not gas, nor was it soda!!!

IT WAS KEROSENE OR JP-5!!!

Del:LMFAO!!! I ran to the gas station in '92: 72 Dart,/6 donkey turd.. Out of gasoline, no problem! Dump in a gallon of lacquer thinner.. It ran to get gas, the accelerator pump ,shrunk... Imagine that...

I used taste to help me diagnose leaks a lot when I was a mechanic. Everybody thought I was insane.

I used taste to help me diagnose leaks a lot when I was a mechanic. Everybody thought I was insane.

Not in the slightest,Rob... Before computer crap, we used our senses.. Smell hydrocarbons, while tuning a carb, hearing hydraulic lifters without enough preload, nail in a tire next to you , click-click clicking off a stoplight leave, drives me bananas Rob...

To easy : triple-R that one was slow and across the plate.
I do know of a certain Mt . dew bottle with gas in it used to get the 41 Studebaker running. I'd highly recommend smelling any container in my garage before drinking from it!!

To easy : triple-R that one was slow and across the plate.
I do know of a certain Mt . dew bottle with gas in it used to get the 41 Studebaker running. I'd highly recommend smelling any container in my garage before drinking from it!!

The sad part: Yes, I have done this.'.....Sh%t happens ,bit runs.. I have seen gasoline used as a thinner, for old school Dupont Centari.. It laid down, wonderful...

How about stash parts in there closet or under the bed?

No rusting issues, unexplainable damage, can't trip over it.....

Here's one. When I decided to stick a 340 into the 70 RR, I didn't have a pickup, and didn't know anybody that did. So I pulled the trunk lid off the RR, took a bunch of rope, cardboard, and wood scrap and had 'em load the 340 into the trunk!!!

Here's one "OldManMopar" posted some time ago

attachment.php

Used to have an old coffee cup in the shop I'd use for checking gas. Lean code on your car? No signs of a vacuum leak, pull the fuel filter and blow through it into the coffee cup.

Don't mix the two!

-
Back