Thinking about moving to Florida,,,

-

prodart340

Reaction score
The wife and I are thinking of moving to Fla when she's ready to retire, which should be in the next three years or so. Anybody give me some insight as to areas that would be a good place. We are looking to buy and would like to keep it around the $100,000 range. It's just the two of us and a couple of pets, and toys. thanks in advance, Mike

There HAS to be a better route than Florida. Has to be.

it's where we intend to go once we retire.. wife has family in Jupiter and I do in Naples.. been to both places several times.. can't wait!

Drag racing all year and beaches full of bikinis...:burnout:

Plan on spending a lot of time down there when we retire..Naples and Fort Myers my favorite area:D:D

I think for nice weather you need to be in the southern half of the state. My mom & dad had a condo in Bradenton and I thought it was nice, not far from the beach. Also my uncle had a trailer close by, in Palmetto I think, & they had a boat launch in his trailer park. Houses seem kinda pricey but condos & trailer can be affordable BUT the monthly fees can be a lot.
I think I would rent a place for a bit to make sure it's good.

I'll probably end up there in the next five years but I have a 1st grader so finding a place with a good school down there will be a big challenge.

I'm in the central part of Florida North of Tampa and south of Ocala. prices in the cities are stupid,but once you get outside the cities you can find some nice deals. We had a block 1700 sq ft 3/2 house 24x24 garage(wayy too small) on 3/4 acre near Brooksville and it cost us 130 ish, then I found 2 3/4 acres with a 1500 sqft modular 2/2 made in the early 2000's and cherry picked it for 58,500, no garage at that time but I did put up a 40x41x12 (wayy too small also) for another 23k. Further south my oldest friend moved down by Lake Wales and picked up a 1 acre, 1400sq ft 2/2 block house with a 24x24 block garage for 101k so they are out there just not near the city and the good part is it's not incorporated by the city (or those damn HOA) and you can do almost anything to your property as long as you don't make a dump of it.

I'm in the central part of Florida North of Tampa and south of Ocala. prices in the cities are stupid,but once you get outside the cities you can find some nice deals. We had a block 1700 sq ft 3/2 house 24x24 garage(wayy too small) on 3/4 acre near Brooksville and it cost us 130 ish, then I found 2 3/4 acres with a 1500 sqft modular 2/2 made in the early 2000's and cherry picked it for 58,500, no garage at that time but I did put up a 40x41x12 (wayy too small also) for another 23k. Further south my oldest friend moved down by Lake Wales and picked up a 1 acre, 1400sq ft 2/2 block house with a 24x24 block garage for 101k so they are out there just not near the city and the good part is it's not incorporated by the city (or those damn HOA) and you can do almost anything to your property as long as you don't make a dump of it.

Nice area. Wife's sister and family are all in Spring Hill area. My wife is down there now for a couple weeks. Been a long time since I was down. Always made it a point to hit the Webster flea market.

I grew up in Melbourne on the Space Coast. My brother still lives there and we go down every year. It has its own airport separate from Orlando and of course the beaches. Good health care. And the mainland is very affordable still.

The area has an active Mopar following with Mopars of Brevard (the local county). I will be down there for their show and swap meet next weekend.

Dennis

I'm moving to Nova Scotia when I retire, but Florida is an awesome state. For a fisherman its paradise.

-- I'm in the central part of Florida North of Tampa and south of Ocala. --- near Brooksville --
-- A good place - We spend the winters in Hernando - between Brooksville and Ocala. -- Some real nice places, in this area for 150ish. -- 100 can get it done, if you shop around. -- Only 1-1/2 to 2 hours from all of the central Florida attractions. A little cooler than further South, -- January high 60s to low 70s. That's better than N.E. Pa.

I live in Lutz florida right next to Tampa. Moved here 3 years ago. I love it here. nice weather. Very humid in the summer but that's my thing. Always a deal to find on houses. I paid 230k 3 car garage 1 acre in ground pool no HOA!

Finding the houses in the price range is not an issue. The real scary part is not knowing what the area is like. We're not interested in being right in the mix with all of the tourists, and as far as living outside of big cities,,,,, let's just say I'm married to a red headed country girl that doesn't play well with others so being off the beaten path is right up our alley. Thanks for all the responses so far.

Maybe you could plan a sort of "house hunting" trip to check out some different areas. Except for the big cities there is a lot of country in Florida. It shouldn't be too hard to find a place off the beaten path!

I have lots family there and considered moving, but I can't do the heat and humidity!! We just moved this past September from Virginia Beach to the North Atlanta area. It gets us closer, but away from the high heat!

-- Finding the houses in the price range is not an issue. The real scary part is not knowing what the area is like. We're not interested in being right in the mix with all of the tourists, and as far as living outside of big cities,,,,, let's just say I'm married to a red headed country girl that doesn't play well with others so being off the beaten path is right up our alley.--
-- We're from the Country, in Pa., and this area Between Ocala and Brooksville suits us fine. -- We spend between 4 and 5 months here, each year for the past 5 years. - Prior to that we rented here, for 2 winters, so that we could check out the area. -- Whatever area you are interested in - check it out, real good, in advance of buying. -- BTW -- Assuming that You are a Car Guy, there's a lot of that sort of thing (shows, cruises etc.) here, and Gainsville - Gator Nationals, is less than 1 hour to the North. -- Daytona is about 2 hours - Orlando - Kissimmee - Tampa, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours.

Nice area. Wife's sister and family are all in Spring Hill area. My wife is down there now for a couple weeks. Been a long time since I was down. Always made it a point to hit the Webster flea market.

it's a nippy 58 degrees right now:Dand tomorrow it should be ohh right around lower 70's high 60's. your wife should be enjoying the climate change. This is the season for us to go from heat in the night to A/c in the day by 9:00am, for at least a week or so.

I live right (1.8 miles)off the veterans memorial highway exit in the Webster postal code and the road on Monday mornings heading towards the flea market SUCK! but I'm closer to Bushnell so I go the other way usually.

Spring Hill and Brooksville are my shopping areas of choice, not too crowded and lots of different shops,But I tell my kids that come down to visit me that I'm 15 minutes to the Walmart and 37 from the Lowes so all my bases are covered:D. next time your down make sure you hit the Sumter county swap meet if your here then, not many mopars but it's a nice show and swap,plus sometimes they forget and bring some mopar parts:glasses7: and don't know how to price them. It's the 1st Sunday of the month (except for july and august,They think it's too hot for some reason)

I have a lot of family down there and lived there for 4 years. my son was born there. Nice place to visit in vacation, but too many bugs and human weather for my liken. my wife and I like the snow and like going snowmobiling will likely retire in Colorado. Oh yeah and when I worked down there all my coworkers seem to still be fighting the Civil War in the hick town I lived in. That was one of the reasons we moved away from there before our son went to school and grew up to being a prejudice redneck. I did do a lot of great fishing and had a couple good friends there and of course family but it's for some people not for me. And my grandparents also had their retirement there in Bradenton.View attachment 20160102_092719.jpg

I would suggest central to upper Fl. The farther north you go you get cooler weather in the winter and very north Fl even gets leaves changing. A cool winter is welcomed after a hot July through Sept. I would not go below Palm beach on the east coast. Too much growth. One thing for sure, lots of nice small towns from the middle up. I've taken many weekend trips up that way just riding the back roads and staying off the highways. Good luck!!

-
Back