Thinking about moving to Florida,,,

-
My uncles place in Everglade City is for sale, right on the gulf, and literally right accross the street from Everglade National Park!! Best grouper basket in the state is at the City Seatood dock, and the Redfish fishing is second to none!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 235
I've been here for 13 years. I live near the gulf coast. Just above Spring Hill, and just west of Brooksville. Lots of car stuff to do. Lots of rural areas above Spring Hill, and around Brooksville. Some of the roads are so rural, they are grass. I would stay away from Manatee and Polk counties. Not trying to offend anyone, but whenever I see a crime on the news, it's usually one of those two. It does get cold here. I had to scrape my windshield this morning.

The amount of home you can buy varies more than the dice roll in monopoly.

Summary for Clearwater. The median sales price for homes in Clearwater FL for Oct 15 to Dec 15 was $137,500. This represents a decline of 2.7%, or $3,750, compared to the prior quarter and an increase of 14.6% compared to the prior year.

Average price per square foot for West Palm Beach FL was $119, an increase of 6.2% compared to the same period last year. The median sales price for homes in West Palm Beach FL for Oct 15 to Dec 15 was $148,162 based on 776 home sales.

You would really need to do lot's of leg work & shop around-my money is that you WOULD find a great deal in doing so.

LOT'S & LOT'S of RAIN. Some algae, mold, mildew, pollen, mosquitoes, & gnats everywhere because of the constant moisture & heat. Expect afternoon showers 4-6 days a week begining spring into late fall. It can come from every direction, but usually from the east or south east. You could grow rice patties here, lots of swamps.

The heat/UV index/moisture is very hard on automotive paint. The first to go is the clear coat... waxing does help. Garage is necessary for a classic car.

Typical temperature during the day mid 70's (early spring/late fall) to low 90's (June, July, August, September-probably), this place is awesome December-February. Some years we do not have any winter. It doesn't usually get into the 100's. Most of the time there is a breeze. You will never need chapstick/have dry skin here (cept' on the beach).

Hurricanes typically strike the southern tip of Florida (or the southern east coast), or hit atmospheric resistance and travel up to the Carolina's to wash away the sinners.

Around the arm-pit of Florida, sometimes water spouts or thunderstorms blow & wet the fu out of the locals (intense rain-much more than normal), yet it is the safer coastal region to live. Elevation to your home foundation is your best friend. The

South East Coast cost of living is ALLOT lower than North East, or California.

I-75 is a good highway drive (runs north to south, west side of florida), I-95 can get exciting-or just stops as everyone scrutinizes the accident, I-4 is a typical city-burbs-city freeway with regards to traffic & driving. US 301 is glorious. I-10 (east-west is a lower level of hell than I-95, you just might see Dante.

If you drive south of I-95, on US 1, drive at night or early morning as all of the islands of the Keys are connected via a two lane road. Everyone on every island has to pull out in front of you to get on the road or decide where to go while ahead of you. The cat sized deer that you might hit are more valuable than your whole family-eyes sharp! 90 more miles & the cigars get better, the dollar conquers all.

If you have a handicap sticker on your vehicle & want special parking, a snow plow & a 50 calibur gun turrent on a large truck is heavily recommended. Anyone that can, gets a handicapped parking pass-especially the further south you try to park in Florida. Jacked-up, 4 door pickups are the weapon of choice for the red-necked, white-knuckled, blue collar locals-they are not afraid to USE them either.

There's a special mouse park for the grand kids, Busch Gardens (gulf coast), Universal, Sea World, a few air museums, Don Garlet's, NASA, etc. Best check the weather & your calender to avoid the rain & happy rainbows. Most of these places are strung along I-4 like a run of infomercials on late night cable, and even more exspensive. I heard the black fish is a real killer.

not true - - I know people who LOVE the snow and simply can't stand the heat - my best friends father moved further north after he retired

Sounds like me. I wanna move to Maine when I retire.

Got family in the Tampa area. (Just a little south and east.) Visited there a few years ago. Wouldn't move there on a bet. Urban sprawl has taken over.

I was born in Plant City and lived the first three years of my life in Riverview. That's where my family is. Some of the places that used to be dairy farms are now housing developments and strip malls for as far as the eye can see.

Get up into where waggin lives (Floral City - north of Ocala) and the state becomes more tolerable. But I like room to spread out.

I am a born n raised Floridan been here all my life [except my 10 years in the Air Force] i was raised in St. Petersburg and i don't recomend that area, i have lived in Palm Harbor in a mobile home park for the past 27 years our lot rent is one of the cheapest in the area [but we do not own the land only the mobile home] i have a large garage attached on my mobile [most parks here don't allow them] my sugestion would be north of my area Spring Hill and north that area is still country and affordable if you consider a mobile home make sure it's a park where you own the land and the home they are pricey but worth it [you'll have a homeowners fee but most are reasonable] or on a piece of property. When you get ready look up some sales and vacation down here to check them out. The summers are brutal and getting hotter but all in all it beats the hell out of snow n ice!!! Plus we can play with our cars pretty much 12 months a year!!!!

Born and raised there. My current plan is to never see that place again. Do I have a better recommendation? No...because, unlike a lot of people, I like snow. My recommendations would likely be shot down on that principle alone. But I do not like mold so that rules out the entire state.

Before you ever move to Florida you must read several books by the author Tim Dorsey!
You'll love the well water it always smells like sulfur - i.e. rotten eggs !

I was raised in Dawson Ga. that is s w Ga, 23 mi north Of Albany, 50-60 mi s of Columbus. the S is a great place to live IF you can stand a little coldish winter weather. if you love hordes of people and traffic, and the "not really real" world of most of Fl. then that's the place to be!

I dislike up around Atlanta for many reasons, basically just too many people period.

best way to see the real world where you might want to live, is get off the Interstate and see the natives. see the countryside. check it out. you might find other areas of the South you like better than Fl.??

funny story (to me). I was headed home for a visit. up in n w ish Ga, stopped for a Coke at a very nice country convience store, they also sold the usual stuff tourist like, candies, preserves, shelled pecans, coffee mugs! the lady behind the register was a very well dressed very proper looking lady bout 50. a car pulls up out front with N Y or NJ tags. a family of four comes in, walking around the store maybe looking for something in particular.
the lady says " can I help you all find something".. NO reply, they just keep looking around then leave.

she looks at me and replies " damn Yankees!" I laughed so hard I bout peed in my jeans.

if one of them would have simply had the simple manners to have replied back, ALL would have been well.

Go there a lot for my job. Your classic Mope might no last long there. The drivers are CRAZY there. They look straight forward and go You almost see a crash a day.

In the South we welcome everyone who makes an effort to be courteous and not just come crashing in with an attitude they know better than us and using foul language...that is the problem we have with some Yankees.

Thank you to all that have contributed. I've been looking at the north central area and there are some good deals out there if you look. I do have a question about vehicle registration, specifically pro street cars. Do I have to have vehicles inspected when we move there or is there a get around? Here in WV, they issue antique plates that are good for ten years, limited driving of said vehicle but no inspection. any input on this?

yea... 'cause ya'all are so sensitive down there.. oh, you cursed waaaa - WTF?!? ..you were kidding right? Or.... maybe I'm missing something.. but the last few times I have watched a show based in the south (Moonshiners, Swamp People) there were just a FEW "bleep" moments.. or Fast-n-Loud from Texas right... THEY never swear..
In the South we welcome everyone who makes an effort to be courteous and not just come crashing in with an attitude they know better than us and using foul language...that is the problem we have with some Yankees.

yea... 'cause ya'all are so sensitive down there.. oh, you cursed waaaa - WTF?!? ..you were kidding right? Or.... maybe I'm missing something.. but the last few times I have watched a show based in the south (Moonshiners, Swamp People) there were just a FEW "bleep" moments.. or Fast-n-Loud from Texas right... THEY never swear..

You prove my point. I've lived in the South all my life, but you know better from what you've seen on reality TV.

somehow I just knew you weren't kidding.. so those guys (and gals) are fake southerners? Come outta your bubble brother - people swear, people have attitudes (no ****) and, as this (FABO) is supposed to be an environment that allows a free exchange of ideas - there's is a half a chance we can all learn something from each other.. I've been corrected in several threads - thought I knew the answer and found out different - been right once or twice too - - that's kinda how it works.
PS - I've proven nothing - except playing the Devil's advocate nets results.

Thank you to all that have contributed. I've been looking at the north central area and there are some good deals out there if you look. I do have a question about vehicle registration, specifically pro street cars. Do I have to have vehicles inspected when we move there or is there a get around? Here in WV, they issue antique plates that are good for ten years, limited driving of said vehicle but no inspection. any input on this?

I know the 2 michigan cars I brought down had to be VIN inspected, but not a vehicle inspection of equipment before I could title it as a florida car and put plates on it, so if the vin matches the title you should be good to go. It is a bit more expensive to do a title change down here, my grandson bought a 2000 sunbird(florida car) down here and didn't have a plate. so total cost for the plates and title transfer was $385.00 for the first time. $52 for plate renewal the next year.

somehow I just knew you weren't kidding.. so those guys (and gals) are fake southerners? Come outta your bubble brother - people swear, people have attitudes (no ****) and, as this (FABO) is supposed to be an environment that allows a free exchange of ideas - there's is a half a chance we can all learn something from each other.. I've been corrected in several threads - thought I knew the answer and found out different - been right once or twice too - - that's kinda how it works.
PS - I've proven nothing - except playing the Devil's advocate nets results.

ScampMike. Yes some people swear. A much greater majority of the population (percentage wise) of the people in the south attempt to be classy, kind, caring, good people.

Obviously there are cussing/bad people anywhere, BUT the rural southern population IS more hospitable, friendly, engaging than people in the city. We look you in the eye, we wave hello as we pass strangers, we hold doors open for each other <- social-grace-consideration. Which has left many people in the city. If I hold the doors open for ladies in Cleveland (for example)-the ladies are afraid that I want/am up to something. That doesn't happen here.

There is no reason to argue semantics or which group of people are better. Playing the Devil's advocate creates lurkers in our community driving away people that would engage & help others (picking a place to live). Very Respectfully, Please play nice & have a blessed day.

Too funny - "the rural southern population IS more hospitable" but you don't want to argue semantics or which group of people are better.. friend, I didn't.
In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further. In taking this position, the individual taking on and playing the devil's advocate role seeks to engage others in an argumentative discussion process. The purpose of such a process is typically to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure, and to use such information to either improve or abandon the original, opposing position. It can also refer to someone who takes a stance that is seen as unpopular or unconventional, but is actually another way of arguing a much more conventional stance. The background of this word comes from an official position within the Catholic Church, in which a canon lawyer called the Devil's Advocate, also known as the Promoter of Faith, "argued against the canonization (sainthood) of a candidate in order to uncover any character flaws or misrepresentation evidence favoring canonization.
Have a sparkling day sir.. and relax a little will ya.. :twisted:

last year sometime, an FABO member from somewhere, N J was it? was making a road trip to south Carolina to pickup up a project car he had bought. conversation on here about the trip, and he was excited to go after his new car, but not really sure what to expect. he had never been south of Maryland, and had seen a lot of Southern people on T V and the movies.

after returning this is what HE observed: in the South you stop for fuel and the guy next to you at the pump engages with small talk. what the heck! that guy didn't know him. what did he "really" want????
in general people are curtious, they open the door for you. many seem overly friendly. happy.

aks anyone for directions, or a good place for dinner. they offer real help, they seem genuinely interested in your life.

i'm not saying people in the South are basically better than anywhere else, but there ARE some traits that are Southern.

I moved to N W Missouri from Ga in '79. lived near a small town, pop. about 4,000. I would go into the Caseys convenience store for a cup of coffee. walk up to the coffee machine, would someone else there doing the same. I would just say :" good moring". they would LOOK at me, NO reply. ... the third day that happened, I guess I wasn't my " normal, happy, wonderful" self.
I told him, I "said good morning" why is it you cannot acknowledge ME you xyyyzyy!!//**vyy**&, ....you S O -!!!!!!! he left in a big hurry.

I had to learn people are just a little different from place to place...

^^thanks for bring the temp back down in here. I spent about a month in Florida several years ago, (not my only trip down south by any means) went to the same Waffle House every day - it was awesome (the food was good too) - never have I felt so welcome anywhere in such a short amount of time - thank God for southern hospitality! Again, I can't wait to move down there.

So, let's see...

I'm what some would consider a NY'er. (Lived here 41 out of my 44 years, so I guess that makes me a NY'er.)

I hold the door for people and have had the door held for me. I engage in small talk with others standing in line, what-have-you, and have had the same done with me. Maybe it's my "southern upbringing" (my mother was born and raised in Kentucky and my father lived for thirty years in Florida), but I can't account for the other NY'er's who do the same.

As for the "welcoming" comment, no offense, David, but that makes me laugh. Like I said, I've got family in Florida. A lot of them don't have welcoming words for the snow birds and I can guarantee you, they don't know many, if any snowbirds at all. Most of the time, the comments made are pretty much along the lines (after a lot of cuss words) of "those damn Yankees can go right back where the hell they came from."

I recently put up a thread about Karli's grandparents being involved in a car accident. According to what I've read and what I heard, the guy who hit them flew across three lanes of traffic, with no turn signal, and hit them in the side trying to merge into the lane they were occupying. He hit them hard enough to flip them and total the car. According to the cop, Chuck was at fault for failing to yield the right of way.

Every other state in the union, the other guy would have been at fault for improper lane change (failing to signal his intent, not merging correctly by allowing a safe distance). On top of that, the other guy's speed was enough that the impact sent Karli's grandparents on their side, so no speeding ticket was issued to the other guy. He was flying low, cutting through traffic! Seems like a cut and dry case of the Florida cop taking the word of the Floridian over the word of the "elderly" New Yorker even as the Florida cop new right from wrong and who was truly at fault. Yup, real "welcoming."

Sorry, David. I've been all over this country. You were in Georgia. The Atlanta area I believe. When the Yanks beat the Braves in the World Series back in '96, my family was on vacation in Florida. We tanked up in Florida so that we could make it through Georgia on 95 without stopping. Wonder why we made that decision? Some of the native Georgians saw the NY plates on the highway as we were driving through. We got cussed at a lot. We had **** thrown out of car windows a couple of times. Imagine, then, if we had stopped.

Don't think that "all" Southerns as welcoming. Don't think of all "Yankees" in a bad light either. There's good and bad wherever you go.

If you have a car 25 years or older you can get a antique tag for $75.00. There's no annual safety or emission insp.

Go there a lot for my job. Your classic Mope might no last long there. The drivers are CRAZY there. They look straight forward and go You almost see a crash a day.

Ahhh I see you have been(and safely enjoyed I hope) on any one of the fine Florida roads: I-4, I-10,US-95, I75 near any big city like Tampa or Miami "little Mexico/Cuba" so you know how they drive or the worst one of the bunch US-19 which is 264 miles long (I call it "granny will kill ya" road):D
Chicago (going in and out on I-94/294) is really worse accident wise but that is just the way they drive.
and don't get me started on Atlanta Georgia. It seems like most big cities are nutcase havens.
so I'm glad I'm in a rural area.

big city Floridians are just like most city dwellers in a hurry to get somewhere. Are there rude and ignorant Florida people. YUP there are rude people in every state. Do people have a dislike for "snowbirds" down here? Some do some don't. I don't since I'm a transplant and have been welcomed almost everywhere I go. Most of the "snowbirds" are near bigger cities or the coast (either one) AND yeah I wave at em just to see them look around just like I used to. Most of my computer repair service calls were to snowbirds in campgrounds and gated homes so I did get to interact with quite a few but never "bonded" with any of them.

Rural Southern folk WAVE,say hello just because. It took me the longest time to get used to people waving at me. For the longest time I just looked around to see if there was any trouble coming my way when they did. Now I'm a waver too!:glasses7: I'm from lower Michigan (Downriver Taylor / Southgate area) and people just don't do that unless it's rural Michigan or the UP. I'm not saying that they ignore you much. City and Urban people keep to their self up there for as long as I can remember (50 years in that state)and I really can't remember anyone waving at me when I lived there(ok 1 finger salute is not counted as waving) makes me wonder why I didn't move down sooner.
and darn glad I did.

Naples is gorgeous, as is Bradenton, and Bradenton Beach. There's also a really good drag strip in Bradenton. We have a condo in Bradenton Beach.
Niceville is also another excellent location. It's on the panhandle across the bridge from Destin. It's in the Central time zone.

Another area you might want to look at is St. Augustine, It's not far from Daytona, it's on the coast, and it's another well kept community.

I find the big city areas too "busy" for a retirement place. Jacksonville, Orlando, Pensacola, Gainesville, Miami, Tampa, St Pete, etc.. Not very "relaxing".

-
Back