Thinking of moving to Kentucky..

-

iw378

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive been thinking of moving to Kentucky, Maybe Bowling Green Area.
Ive read that they salt the roads there which Im not a fan of for obvious reasons.
Is rust a big issue here on the newer cars ?
Thanks

They do salt the roads here but I have not had any bad rust issues with my newer vehicles. I have a 2018 Ram and my wife has a 2016 Cherokee both are rust free so far. I do clean them up as well as possible after they are driven in the snow, I use a car wash with a under carriage spray too. On a side note my son-in-law was born and raised in Los Angeles came here in the Army (Fort Knox) and has been here ever since. Even had his mom and step dad relocate from there to here. And yes we forgave him for being from California.

Waitresses in Cincinnati OH- "Hello, welcome to Denny's, may I take your order?"

Waitresses in Covington KY (just across the river)- "Ya'll wont grits with that, honey?"

...but the cars rust just the same- bad.

Waitresses in Cincinnati OH- "Hello, welcome to Denny's, may I take your order?"

Waitresses in Covington KY (just across the river)- "Ya'll wont grits with that, honey?"
This is not true at all.

There are no Denny's in the Cincinnati area.
We have Waffle House.

I was in Columbus and I thought the locals were from a few states away. Nope, just down the road. Ohio has a lot more accents than I would have thought.

Hey guys, Ive been thinking of moving to Kentucky, Maybe Bowling Green Area.
Ive read that they salt the roads there which Im not a fan of for obvious reasons.
Is rust a big issue here on the newer cars ?
Thanks
If you wash your v hockey (with th undercwr spray) after they salt, you should be good. We use salt and the spray, and I neglected my Avenger for years and it finally started showing some rust after about six winters. New cars don't rot away like the old ones.

I've enjoyed Kentucky in my travel through the state, people were always friendly.

My sister moved from California to Kentucky, she hates it in southern Kentucky.

I really enjoyed caving in KY.

This is not true at all.

There are no Denny's in the Cincinnati area.
We have Waffle House.

Says there's one by Riverfront Stadium.

If that's still what they call where the Red's play.

Although I was surprised to see only 28 locations in OH.
I swear there are 28 locations per county in FL.

Last edited:
If you decide to come visit the area, be sure and let me know! I live 30 minutes west of Bowling Green. I will say this much about the salt/rust. Over the past decade, I’ve noticed that as long as you buy vehicles that have been in the BG area or farther south, you’re usually fine, buy something from northern Ky area and it’s a lot more likely to have rust. There are, of course, exceptions to this… if you buy a 2003-2009 Ram, it’s gonna have rust in the bed, no matter where it’s from!!
We usually only get snow once or twice a year so the roads might get treated 1/2 dozen times a year. Car washes are always backed up the first nice day after a snow. :D

One thing I can assure you of that we have that’s MUCH better than northern Ky is roads!! Very seldom do I hit or have to dodge a pothole around here.

You know you are in the South when: there are 2 or 3 Waffle Houses on every Interstate cloverleaf!!
Grits! The food of champions!!!
Bowling Green is a nice area.
I like the foothills of Tn. myself!

Good caving in TN, too.

Says there's one by Riverfront Stadium.

If that's still what they call where the Red's play.

Although I was surprised to see only 28 locations in OH.
I swear there are 28 locations per county in FL.
There's no Denny's in the Cincinnati area. Closest one I know of is part of a Flying J Truck stop about 30 miles south on I75.
There is a Waffle House within a mile of Great American (That's what replaced Riverfront Stadium).
The thing is, there's a big *** river between the two. It's over in Covington KY.
Waffle House is all over around here.

I was in Columbus and I thought the locals were from a few states away. Nope, just down the road. Ohio has a lot more accents than I would have thought.
This is super true.
I live in Ohio, and literally less than a mile from the Kentucky side of the Ohio River.
I had to teach myself to not speak with the "Kentucky drawl". Didn't realize I had it so bad until I went into the Army.
50 miles or so east of here, the West Virginia accent is prominent and just north of that is the Pennsylvanian accent is strong.
The Cincinnati area has a strong German heritage and a lot of German speech patterns have been misused in English.
I could on forever, but if you come here, you're going to hear a little of everything.

This is super true.
I live in Ohio, and literally less than a mile from the Kentucky side of the Ohio River.
I had to teach myself to not speak with the "Kentucky drawl". Didn't realize I had it so bad until I went into the Army.
50 miles or so east of here, the West Virginia accent is prominent and just north of that is the Pennsylvanian accent is strong.
The Cincinnati area has a strong German heritage and a lot of German speech patterns have been misused in English.
I could on forever, but if you come here, you're going to hear a little of everything.

There was an online diction analyzer that claimed it could pinpoint where "you were from" by answers to about 20 questions.

It got me, but it took all 20 questions.
(You could retake it, and view how it narrowed down the geographical area)

The last question was- "what do you call these?"

1711474398763.png

Before that question, the areas it had not eliminated were fairly large and contained a significant portion of the Pacific Northwest, parts of Canada, and almost the entire great lakes region (minus Wisconsin and Chicago).

My answer- "gym shoes", took that and reduced it to the area between Cincinnati and Dayton (which is correct), and a very small area just outside of Akron.

Coincidentally, my wife is from that exact area near Akron!

Back in the 80s 90s when I did a lot of cars/parts, I could tell 95% of the time what state a Southern guy was calling from.
When I moved to N.W. Missouri from S W Ga. all I heard for years was " where ya from anyway" and " huh.???".
S W, Mo. was just like the South though!

Louisville is a very cool city with fun night life. Lots of loose women though.
I went to Fort Knox with a contingent of Naval Special Warfare types for inter-service operations training. We rolled up there in blacked out government SUV’s and would get to take them to L-ville on the weekends. Girls were just dripping!
That city and southern Indiana is rife with AIDS though. I’m married but the other fellas were really bummed.
As an Okie who moved back to Oklahoma from California, just tell everyone you’re from Nevada to avoid the hate.

I was surprised he went through the metro area of NYC and surrounding areas with a really very good accuracy pretty much nailing it very well.

It’s funny as when I travel around, some people say I’m from Brooklyn. My parents, yes, me no, but the parents teach you to speak.

-
Back