Tie Rod Ends Hitting Torrsion Bars????

-
Is this car a RHD Australia or a LHD American manufactured car? I am thinking LHD but between the pictures, my small laptop screen and my poor eye sight I am not sure.

That would be 100% correct if it is an American manufactured car. Who knows for sure since it might be an Australian manufactured or an export car where some thing is different. There has been quite a few differences noted over the years between cars made elsewhere such as the Australian hemi 6 that we never had.

Yes this is a US manufactured 1973 Duster that I purchased off a memeber here.

These things are over 40 years old so who knows if it got a 72 or 73 pitman arm, all I can tell everyone is this was working before I decided to give it a clean up.

What are the part number for 72 & 73 pitman arms?
I replaced all the front end parts other than the pitman & ider, had it alinged & drove it for 6 mths then decided to give it all a paint.

Thanks all for the addvice.

If you look at the pics I posted above the center link to the left in both pictures is for the pitman arm you have pictured which the stud faces up. This is a 72 and back pitman arm.

The center link on the right is for a 73 and up car. This is the center link you have pictured. and you have it on a 72 and back pitman. The stud on the proper pitman would be facing the floor.

So if you are lucky the You didn't ruin the centerlink by forcing it on to the wrong pitman arm stud backwards. The beveled hole large end faces up in the center link you used . You have it on the pitman arm small hole first. Some one Fugged up there.

I am only trying to tell you whats wrong. And if the stud faces up on the idler arm its wrong also. On a 73 big bolt car the studs should point to the ground.

I really don't care if your back wheels turned when you took it apart. It is not together with the correct parts you have pictured. Good luck Steve

o who knows if it got a 72 or 73 pitman arm,.

Please go back and read ALL this thread carefully

I posted diagrams of "what" and "OldMan" and "ToolmanMike" both explained.

You MUST match the center link, idler, and the pitman, end of story.

Please go back and read ALL this thread carefully

I posted diagrams of "what" and "OldMan" and "ToolmanMike" both explained.

You MUST match the center link, idler, and the pitman, end of story.

Alright I understand that I have missed matched parts. What I don't understand is that the problem wasn't thier before & its the same parts.

Is there a difference between 71,72 & 73 K frame's other than the engine mounts?

Is this the correct part number of a 73 pitman arm with manual steering-MOOG K7O75?

Is this the correct part number for the idler arm Raybestos 450-1033B or MOOG k7086?

Just want to order the correct ones form my US supplier.

Thanks to everone for the info & help.

Only difference in 67 and newer K is

67 has the oddball idler arm mount and can be modified

Starting in 73, K's went to spool engine mounts

Here:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/techindex.shtml

The thing about pitman arms is, read the section on that page about steering boxes:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml

You need to figure out if you box is small or large sector (this a power or manual box, I missed that)

Thanks for the links they helped.

Alright I have a manual small selector shaft so Moog K7075 is the pit man arm.
Idler looks to be Moog K7086, I have a Raybestso one above on hand & it looks different to the one in the car.

The centre link is on a 45 deg angle facing forward & is also close to the engine pan.
On a 73 is the centre link meant to lay flat?
Is there any difference between a /6 or sbm center link?

After thinking about all the parts I replaced the only difference to when it was on the road is the K frame, this was changed as it was a /6 that had welded engine mounts, this was changed to a 73 spool type.
Can a 67 -72 K frame fit a 73 body? This could be the reason I'm have problems.

Thanks to you all.

The k-frames are the same where the steering linkage is concerned in your case. The steering links are the same for all models and engines. The only difference is the years for the steering links. 73-76 k-mebers are different then 68-72. but it is only the mounts and the stabilizer mounting. The early stabilizer will fit the 73 -76 k-member. You deffinately have the wrong pitman arm and possibly Idler. The center link you are using is for a 73-76. The pitman arm you picture is for a 68-72. This is the last time I will tell you this. If you don't listen you are on your own.

If your suspension and bushings were wore before the rebuild it could be the reason it worked the way it was.

The k-frames are the same where the steering linkage is concerned in your case. The steering links are the same for all models and engines. The only difference is the years for the steering links. 73-76 k-mebers are different then 68-72. but it is only the mounts and the stabilizer mounting. The early stabilizer will fit the 73 -76 k-member. You deffinately have the wrong pitman arm and possibly Idler. The center link you are using is for a 73-76. The pitman arm you picture is for a 68-72. This is the last time I will tell you this. If you don't listen you are on your own.

If your suspension and bushings were wore before the rebuild it could be the reason it worked the way it was.

Yes I'm hearing you all load and clear.
I can see that I have the wrong pitman arm and possibly the wrong idler arm.
I replaced everything when I first got the Duster and all was good and that's what I can not understand.

Depending on what steering gear box you have, there may not be another pitman arm to use. The sector shaft in the steering gear dictates the pitman arm, then the the idler arm must be the correct companion . In that case you would need the correct center link.
The simplest indicator is the hex nut holding the pitman arm on. If ia 1& 1/8 socket fits it its pre 73 power or manual. If you need a 1&5/16 socket for that nut its 73 up power steering gear box. I'm not exactly sure on the 73 year model changes either.
I wont get involved in the head banging going on in this thread. I will say some mix matched combinations of these parts simply cannot be put together no way no how.
Other combinations can be put together wrong but don't look or work exactly right.
Your parts may not hit once the car is on the ground until there is enough movement in the idler arm at K member bushing.
I can only suggest you figure out what combination a previous owner has came up with before seeking parts like a pitman arm that does not exist.
Good luck

Depending on what steering gear box you have, there may not be another pitman arm to use. The sector shaft in the steering gear dictates the pitman arm, then the the idler arm must be the correct companion . In that case you would need the correct center link.
The simplest indicator is the hex nut holding the pitman arm on. If ia 1& 1/8 socket fits it its pre 73 power or manual. If you need a 1&5/16 socket for that nut its 73 up power steering gear box. I'm not exactly sure on the 73 year model changes either.
I wont get involved in the head banging going on in this thread. I will say some mix matched combinations of these parts simply cannot be put together no way no how.
Other combinations can be put together wrong but don't look or work exactly right.
Your parts may not hit once the car is on the ground until there is enough movement in the idler arm at K member bushing.
I can only suggest you figure out what combination a previous owner has came up with before seeking parts like a pitman arm that does not exist.
Good luck

Bingo

Listen to Oldmanmopar.......from my experience on this site, his knowledge
on A-bodies is unsurpassed. He knows his stuff. My 2 cents.

Wilson

Unfortunately contacting the building is not an option due to him not answering.
Wether it worked before or not is irrevalent as it's now not working.

I want to thank everyone that commented as no one in OZ are up to speed on US A bodies like you guys & gals

So looking at all the info, links & my current set up this is what I have.
1972manual steering box with 72 pitman arm
1973 idler arm
1973 centre link
1973 tie rods
LBJ upper & lower control arms
FMJ spindles
1973 spool mount K frame

Center link is tappered & is not damaged that I can see, all parts are new except the ider & pitman arms.
I replace the ider & pitman with the correct ones I will have no problem. Or replace the steering box with a large spline manual 73 one with the correct pitman I have no problems.

This should help anyone that may have the same issuse.
Thanks Again.

on another note that doesn't have anything to do with the clearance problem.
that large scrape on your torsion bar will probably cause it to snap one day at the most inopportune time.

-
Back