tools to get started on bodywork

-

xfakturx

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 1973 scamp and it is in need of some bodywork, the rh and lh quarters around the wheel wells need to be patched up (mostly on the front side, the top and rear look ok), the rockers are getting a little bit of rust showing (a couple small holes), and the front rh side fender on the top has a few bb sized holes and the paint is starting to bubble lastly the rear inner wheel well has some holes appearing aswell, I'm looking for the quickest and easiest way to remove the paint, rust and any bondo that may be in these areas.

I have never donr bodywork before but I have welded for a few years so I feel comfortable attempting this.

What are some basic tools I will need to get this process rolling? I will be picking up a new mig welder and a disc grinder.

I had a disc grinder, palm sander with different grades of paper, some wirebrushes that went on the end of a drill that took the paint off pretty good without hurting the metal, and the stuff that came with the body putty kit i got. I didnt have any big areas of metal to replace, but I made due on some small holes and dents with those tools. It was my first time too and it was actually the most fun Ive had working on my car yet.

Well I think I am going to pickup an air sander and an air grinder / cutoff tool along with a new elder and see how that goes. Ill see if I can find some wire wheel ends and give them a try. Thanks for the tips

Well I think I am going to pickup an air sander and an air grinder / cutoff tool along with a new elder and see how that goes. Ill see if I can find some wire wheel ends and give them a try. Thanks for the tips

I like my right angle die grinder with Rolocs on it. You can get them various grits to handle paint removal in areas I know will need a little filler, knocking down welds, etc. The extra surface roughness from the grind helps in getting the filler to bite. You can also switch the grinder disks out for quick turn scotch brites and use that to take off paint.

A nice hammer and dolly set will go a long way for you, too.

Think about a DA.

So will various size hand sanding blocks. Ones which can be used wet or dry. I like Duroblock.

Those are the basics. If you want to get into air boards, jitterbugs, mudslingers, etc. let us know.

ramenth I agree with you. You need to go ahead and invest in a good right angle die grinder and the rolocs they are the best little tool for the small cut off and grinding I have done. Get some patience as well if they are selling any because you will probably need it. LOL Have fun and if your using a body hammer and dolly any try to practice on scrap if you got any. You will learn to hit it hard enough instead of pinging and stretching the metal.... I learned the hard way. :D

Thanks for all the advice, I just found a pair of rear quarters for it and I think I may go that route and just replace the whole damn thing.

-
Back