Torsion bar adjuster question

-

andysauto1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 72 Demon has a torsion bar adjusting bolt broke off. What is the procedure for replacing the adjuster? Just wondering if anyone has had to do this with tension on the bar
Any suggestions or experiences with this problem? Thanks in advance

Does it have full tension on it or is it unloaded or partly unloaded. You are probably going to have to disconnect the upper ball joint and the brake line then let the supported lower control arm down.

Does it have full tension on it or is it unloaded or partly unloaded. You are probably going to have to disconnect the upper ball joint and the brake line then let the supported lower control arm down.
I think that is a good answer to my problem

Please explain "broke off"? Did the head of the bolt shear off? Is it seized up in the adjuster with the tension fully on? I would recommend getting all the weight off the torsion bar and then find a way to loosen the adjuster. If you just sheared the head, make sure the threads are soaked in PB Blaster or Kroil and see if you can turn it anyway you can get on it. If its really bad, I would weld a nut on the bolt and use it to back it off.

I can give you a procedure if you explain or take a pic of what you are working with.

RGAZ

See above but: You may also need to remove the shock, but I bet it will not go low enough to get it off.

O.k. took off shock, sway bar and upper control arm ball joint. Still a little bit of a struggle, but it worked

-
Back