Tranny cooler lines

-

Yellow66

Reaction score
I've searched around but didn't really find an answer... I need to replace the original tranny cooler lines (66 Barracuda /6, A904) - has anyone done this using pre-bents line with car fully assembled? It looks to me to be near impossible! I figure I'd need to remove the intake/exhaust manifolds in order to route the line in between the exhaust and the block - perhaps remove the rad too? If it can't be done without major disassembly then I'll go the rubber hose route for now until I get another opportunity. Thanks in advance!

While not your year car, I have done pre bent lines in A & B body cars with everything installed and with full exhaust with headers in the car.

Pre bent lines may still need a little help/bending in order to fit. I installed the lines on the trans first and shoved the lines backwards to shrink there length a tad to connect to the radiator.

I've taken 2 of the cheap 4 foot generic lines and a $5 bend it yourself tool and make a small 90 degree bend on the ends and have them travel along up to the front to a auxiliary transmission cooler ($50) and just use soft lines from about the fan forward.
The key is getting the car up in the air so you can really maneuver into there.

I've searched around but didn't really find an answer... I need to replace the original tranny cooler lines (66 Barracuda /6, A904) - has anyone done this using pre-bents line with car fully assembled? It looks to me to be near impossible! I figure I'd need to remove the intake/exhaust manifolds in order to route the line in between the exhaust and the block - perhaps remove the rad too? If it can't be done without major disassembly then I'll go the rubber hose route for now until I get another opportunity. Thanks in advance!
I’ve used them on both my 63/64 valiant and dart. I can tell you that nothing fits like oem but they worked. I needs to rebend them as they were exact.

Jake

I made mine lines from 4 pieces of steel tubing. I put 2 compression unions under the car. Worked both ends toward the center. All except the unions is skinned with neoprene fuel hose. Unions staggered about 3 inches apart for wrench clearance. Tubing and hose from auto parts store, the unions from Lowes. You wouldn't save much if you had to buy the tubing bender though.
The reproduction preformed line install... I can't imagine slant 6 being more difficult that V8. Separate exhaust flange. Lift the radiator maybe?

Last edited:
Ill be doing this shortly, let me know how it goes. Im all about DIY and have 2 benders and a flare tool. No way Im pulling anything for this short of the radiator. clearance for one of the trans line nuts is tight.

Use ready made jobber lines,each run in 2 pieces and a coupling nut .
The shorter pieces are easier to work with.

The pre-bent lines for the Slanty aren't too expensive. I bought a set for my orange '73 from Classic Ind. for $40. IMO it was worth it to save on the aggravation of trying to bend them myself. The previous owner had attempted to do one of them and it was touching the exhaust. I tried fixing that but then it wound up being too short, so I just bit the bullet and bought them.
Having a lift would have made the job easier because the longer one (connecting to passenger side of the radiator) was a little tricky to fish in without hitting the garage floor, but it still wasn't that bad of a job, and I don't recall removing anything extra during the process. Put it up as high as you can on jack stands and you should be good.

IMG_20180128_173828_362.jpg

Great info - thanks everyone! I think I'll chase down a set of pre-bent lines (I tried to bend a gas line once; I wasn't very successful!) and give that a go. Worst that happens is I end up taking more apart than first anticipated.... but that gets me extra "shop time" - just me, the car and some music - which is never a bad thing :).

-
Back