Tranny won't bolt to mount

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
IMG_2452.JPG
Hi folks I'm wondering if you guys know why I can't get my transmission to bolt to the mount on the cross member. I have a 67 Dodge Dart, I put a 72 v8 member in it with a 72 318 and 904 tranny. The cross member that bolts to the subframe goes on fine, but the mount holes won't go into the transmission, the transmission bolt holes are roughly 2 inches forward of there the mount holes are. Any ideas? Motor mounts are on correct

The ears of the motor mounts are supposed to be to the rear of the ears for the engine...

It also looks like you have the trans member reversed, try turning it around...

DSC03917 B.jpg

DSC03922 B.jpg

If I reversed the mount the center doesn't seem to change, I have the motor mounts on corect.

The trans cross member also looks right. I checked on our 71 Valiant and the stud goes toward the front...

Could the k- frame be off???

Maybe try turning the rubber mount around around? If I recall the screw is off centered. I had to flip mine around to get the threads to line up with the hole in my member. Just a thought?

Pat

Hasn't been so long since a very similar thread. Turned out that his new trans mount was the wrong part. The blame went on the part store clerk. His was the later spool type mount, missing the holes by only 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Close enough that he tried everything we could suggest and even tried to force it to fit.
Good luck

Last edited:
T
Maybe try turning the rubber mount around around? If I recall the screw is off centered. I had to flip mine around to get the threads to line up with the hole in my member. Just a thought?

Pat
the mount is the same mount I pulled off the transmission and it bolted on the 72 fine.

When I did mine, I installed the spool type trans mount backwards (angling towards the front of the car instead of towards the back of the car) so it would not bolt to the transmission. Maybe that's the problem, but I cannot see in that first picture, its shows up too dark for me.

Cley

View attachment transmission mount.png

Tail shafts are the same. One tail shaft is a 1969. The other a 1973. Both the same location for trans mount.

20171107_123803.jpg

I once bought two trans mounts, and the one made in China did not line up as well as the one made in Taiwan?

All the tail shafts are the same on 904 car transmissions. Are you certain the motor mounts are on correctly like in Karl's picture? If they're not it'll pull the engine forward throwing off the trans mount position

Some crossmembers have 2 holes drilled in them because some of the mounts had 2 stud mounts! How about simply drilling it out?

All the tail shafts are the same on 904 car transmissions. Are you certain the motor mounts are on correctly like in Karl's picture? If they're not it'll pull the engine forward throwing off the trans mount position
I had the left and right side switched. Everything bolts right up now!

-
Back