Trans issue or something else?

-

RollercamDART

Reaction score
Hi everyone! After a long (10 plus years) hiatus from anything A-body, I landed on a deal I couldn't pass up for a car that I fell in love with at first sight!

Car info: 74 Dart Swinger /6 with 904, pretty standard fare, but LOTS of new parts and work done before it sat for 2 years after the engine threw a rod. Engine replaced by previous owner for another /6 with about 30k on the clock that was refreshed with new gaskets, seals, etc etc. Car goes down the road fine and cruises on the highway with no problems.

So my question is this:

I have noticed that when leaving from a stop it seems like it takes much more pedal than expected, almost as if you are towing something if that makes sense. I don't have a tach hooked up so I cant give any kind of a number of when it starts to go, but it certainly feels as though I have to give it more pedal than I should when leaving from a stop.

Where would you suggest starting with this? I plan to put it up on stands this weekend to make sure that the drums aren't hanging. It sat for about 2 years with little movement after everything was rebuilt (brakes and suspension wise) so I figured I would start there. Secondly, the steering column seems to be worn out, in that the gear selection is super sloppy and you do have to push up on the lever when it is in park to get the key to go fully to off. This is to the point that it is in park but the NSS isnt registering.

I am mostly familiar with a-body mechanics with my prior ownership/experience (I had 8 at one point lol), but it has been a LONG time since I have gotten my hands greasy on one so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Maybe the torque converter has a higher stall or perhaps is going bad. Total shot in the dark based on the description.

And congrats on your new ride!
Pat

Put the car in neutral on a flat road and give it a push.
Assuming the tires have the proper pressurize, it should start to roll with light/moderate force fairly easy and stop after a couple of feet.

Put the car in Drive and let off the brakes. It should start to roll quickly and roll with a swift walking pace (depending a bit on idle speed).

You could also try and feel for any noticable hot(ter) brakes after a short trip around the block.

If your linkage is that sloppy it may be that its not shifting all the way into gear. For column shift check the bushing on the column where the rod connect. It could also be the lever on the transmission needs to be tightened.
Check the easy stuff first, sounds like this could be your problem.

It does noticeably shift into 2nd and 3rd, although the kick down really needs to be adjusted. Ill check rolling resistance in a few. On the plus side, after taking it for a spin the NSS is registering again, so there is that.

Ok I figured it out. Trans fluid was low (that will teach me for assuming).. Now to figure out where it went.

Having a new muscle car has spoiled me, time to get back to the basics

Thanks for all the suggestions and help everyone, time to get the hands dirty :)

-
Back