TRW L2322F Pistons 60179 Edelbrock Heads

-

Plymouth 65

I'll be in the shop
Reaction score
I'm gathering information for my next engine build. I plan on using components that I have on hand. This engine will ultimately end up in my 70 Duster drag car. I've got a standard bore 340 block and a set of 60179 Edelbrock aluminum heads. These heads have a 65cc combustion chamber and 0.060" relief cut for the early 340 above deck pistons. I would like to use a set of L2322F pistons for this build. Yes, I know there heavy and there are a better choice of pistons now a days! The block has not been decked, standard bore, using a 0.039" compressed Felpro head gasket.
Does anyone know what the above deck distance is for these pistons?

edl-60179_w_s.jpg

I looked through part of the link PBR posted.

I know the Speed Pro book says .017-.018 out of the deck. That is the Chrysler minimum out of the deck.

If you have the Chrysler engine book (going off my memory here but I suppose I could get it out) it calls for as much as .054 out of the hole.

Again, going off my memory that was with a .028 or .020 shim head gasket.

If you are want to get the squish down then the piston needs to be out of the hole the gasket thickness plus the quench cutout in the head then minus your quench distance.

For example, if you want .040 quench with an .039 gasket and a .060 quench cutout you’d need to be .059 out of the hole.

What that makes your compression is anyone’s guess without all the numbers.

I milled my domes down to get the quench correct and the compression where I wanted it.

The dome does not fit inside the chamber, i had a set and wanted to use them, but the shape of the stock combustion chamber and the edelbrock are very different.

The dome does not fit inside the chamber, i had a set and wanted to use them, but the shape of the stock combustion chamber and the edelbrock are very different.

He has the open chamber Edelbrock I think. They were made for above deck pistons. (340’s)

He has the open chamber Edelbrock I think. They were made for above deck pistons. (340’s)

Not to jump in VR’s stuff but now that I think about it the dome will probably not clear the spark plug side of the chamber.

I don’t have any of those heads here to verify that but now that it’s pointed out that can be an issue.

These are closed chamber heads with a 0.060" relief cut for the above deck early 340 pistons. One of my concerns was the combustion chamber design. It's definitely different than a stock cast iron 915 casting head. 65

These are closed chamber heads with a 0.060" relief cut for the above deck early 340 pistons. One of my concerns was the combustion chamber design. It's definitely different than a stock cast iron 915 casting head. 65
Take a piston and set in the combustion chamber of the head and you will see what i am taking about.

I also have a set of open chamber 2.02/1.60 J heads I could use if need be. I'm thinking that's my best option due to the closed combustion chamber design of the Edelbrock 60179 heads. 65

I also have a set of open chamber 2.02/1.60 J heads I could use if need be. I'm thinking that's my best option due to the closed combustion chamber design of the Edelbrock 60179 heads. 65

If it’s apart or going together it’s an easy check then you would know. A couple hours with a bur and a sanding roll if it didn’t work I would make it work.

I’m running the open chamber head with a zero deck block and .040 gasket. These Wiseco pistons have one heck of a dome and I know they clear.

View attachment 1716299068

View attachment 1716299069

View attachment 1716299070

View attachment 1716299071

Your pistons are correct for your chambers and the Edelbrock chambers.

IMG_1042.jpeg

This dome won’t fit those chambers. And I milled a quite a bit off my domes. I think they are only .145ish. I measured them the other day but I forgot exactly what it was.

If it’s apart or going together it’s an easy check then you would know. A couple hours with a bur and a sanding roll if it didn’t work I would make it work.

Can you grab my picture and put it next to your picture? I tried but couldn’t do it.

Puttying the two side by each shows the difference better.

If someone “had to” use those pistons with heads that had the Ede style chamber………if you modified the chamber and the piston, you could probably remove enough material between the two to make it work.
It would depend on how thick the piston and head are in the offending areas.

If someone “had to” use those pistons with heads that had the Ede style chamber………if you modified the chamber and the piston, you could probably remove enough material between the two to make it work.
It would depend on how thick the piston and head are in the offending areas.
Ideally, I would like to use the Edelbrock 60179 heads that I already have. With that, I really don't have the knowledge or time to modify chambers/pistons. My target CR is between 11-12.5:1 running 100LL fuel. Is there an old school above deck forged piston available?

Ideally, I would like to use the Edelbrock 60179 heads that I already have. With that, I really don't have the knowledge or time to modify chambers/pistons. My target CR is between 11-12.5:1 running 100LL fuel. Is there an old school above deck forged piston available?

You can mill what you have to a flat top.

At that compression ratio you don’t need anything but pump gas if you get your cooling system and timing curve in shape.

My old TRW 2332P .030 over were milled down. I also have old TRW 340 .030 that don't appear to have been milled as they still have the spark plug groove.

20240905_152959.jpg

20240905_153001.jpg

-
Back