tuning problem solution?

-

tzayoh

Reaction score
wonder if any one has solved the problem with the un equal runner where 1&6 are to lean 2&5 are good and 3&4 are to rich...

Stock or modified? So many variables with aftermarket intakes and such. Maby try hotter or colder plugs to even out the differance. Mine burn so close to the same the differance is not an issue, mine is not close to stock.

TF

Several slanters do the different heat ranges for the different runners like RN10-12-14 (champion reference)
to balance things out. Just a thought..

i mean...my car runs fine...its stock for now...ive just been told that unlike most cars, you dont want to keep your engine as cold as you can because of that, especialy as you start to modify alot...im in the prosses of drawing up plans so i can fab an intake to rid myself of this problem all together...but i was just wondering how other people were doing it.

i mean...my car runs fine...its stock for now...ive just been told that unlike most cars, you dont want to keep your engine as cold as you can because of that, especialy as you start to modify alot...im in the prosses of drawing up plans so i can fab an intake to rid myself of this problem all together...but i was just wondering how other people were doing it.

im working on a wicked intake for that problem to...

When I checked my plugs It looked much the same. It seemed 1 and 6 ran lean and 2 and 5 a bit richer and 3 and 4 looked good. So I guess that means I have my whole system to lean. If you run hotter plugs to combat the issue Would you be following the hottest on 3-4 cooler on 2-5 and coolest on 1-6?

i was wondering that as well...also...does the 73 have hardend valve seats?? it doesnt say unleaded fuel only, so i was just curious...and 805, if you dont want to share id understand as im a little hesitant myself...but if youd message me or something, possibly there is knowlege to be gained?

i dont see how they would unless they looped the inner two and put a big bend in the middle with a strait outer....iv never seen it...but they may...my idea is very different from that though..

Manifold heat cures this problem. There is already an equal length runner intake made by an Australian company,its called the Hurricane. Or you could use a side draft intake,also have equal length runners.

Do some internet research,you would be amazed at what you find.

thats what i use this place for, im realy bad with computors... so i like to pick genorous peoples minds on here...its easier and doesnt frustrate me as quickly

Manifold heat cures this problem. There is already an equal length runner intake made by an Australian company,its called the Hurricane. Or you could use a side draft intake,also have equal length runners.

Do some internet research,you would be amazed at what you find.

and ask mark (MadMAx/6) how that works with a performance build

and ask mark (MadMAx/6) how that works with a performance build

Which are you talking about? Manifold heat,the Hurricane,or the side drafts? The hurricane is a good street intake,but I wouldnt use it in marks application either,but side drafts on the other hand.....

Which are you talking about? Manifold heat,the Hurricane,or the side drafts? The hurricane is a good street intake,but I wouldnt use it in marks application either,but side drafts on the other hand.....

yea the hurricane... stock sized ports...

yea the hurricane... stock sized ports...

Yep,I had one of them. There is a LOT of meat in those intakes,so if you had the time/will you could port it. I am surprised that they used stock sized ports with how insanely big the plenum area is. They also make a short runner version now that might be a better bet. The HyperPak/Hurricane are cool to look at,and they do have an effective range(2000-5000 rpm with a ram effect) but tuning can be a nightmare,and not really worth it IMO. I have always wanted to try a side draft setup,but I bet tuning that wouldn't be much easier than the long runner manifolds.

i see...so as long as i dont open up my ports ill be fine?...by the...do they make performance heads or are you just stuck to upgrading stock ones

yes but apparently they are flame hardened

Induction hardened, that method dose not penetrate too deeply, and when oversized valves are installed, or sometimes a valve job is performed, new hardened exhaust seats have to be installed. They are not very expensive to install.

i see...so as long as i dont open up my ports ill be fine?...by the...do they make performance heads or are you just stuck to upgrading stock ones

you can clean the ports up just don't touch the valve seats (you shouldn't when you port heads anyway)

im guessing thats a no then?so...do most people just run with un altered heads on these? even if they are upgrading?

im guessing thats a no then?so...do most people just run with un altered heads on these? even if they are upgrading?
you can port it just make sure not to nick the valve seats.. if you have never ported a cylinder head I'd suggest finding some cheap Ford of Chevy heads to practice on- it's VERY easy to F a head up the most important thing is to take your time..

you will probably make more power having the surfaces milled and run shorter pushrods though

Induction hardened, that method dose not penetrate too deeply, and when oversized valves are installed, or sometimes a valve job is performed, new hardened exhaust seats have to be installed. They are not very expensive to install.

that was the point i was trying to make... install hardened seats lol

i dont know anything about head work...never dont them, only ripped old ones off and thrown better ones on...how do you port your own?

-
Back