Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
took and changed out the timing cover and water pump today got the oil leak stopped but had a couple of issues with the new pump the housing is thicker than the stock one and had to grind the corner off the bolts to clear the pulley then had to get shorter fan bolts to clear the front of the new pump took the log off he drivers side and got the heat wrap installed looks much better now with all the heat wrap on a buddy come over thats good with Holley carbs found out the bottom shafts are wore out and sucking air like a pig thats why the car is running so lean now ill really have to save some money for a new carb and to covert the rear over to 5x4.5 lug pattern but on the bright side i have a nice set of wheels and tires to put on when i get the money they arrived the other day

You don't need a new carb! You just need to get another base plate. Your buddy should have known that the base plate can be changed in 20 minutes or less :violent1: . My buddy check it but then again, he is 72 years old and half blind lol...

All the Holley base plates leak to an extent unless they have been o-ringed. The main body is new from a member here! I still think your lean idle condition is the large 36 primary airbleeds. Those primary air bleeds are to big allowing too much air into the fuel mixture in the idle circuit! Before you spend cash on another carb I would change the base plate and airbleeds.

Just my lousy two cents! Take it for what its worth. I'm sure someone else will chime in here and confirm my assumption.

Typical aftermarket issues with the aluminum waterpump. It was from 440Source :dontknow:. Been dealing with that through the whole build :D.

\\:D/One money pit for another!\\:D/

Keep up the good work and keep us posted! Waiting for some Boosted videos!!!!! The Ol' Charger won't have nuttin' for the Cuda once she's done. You will be totally surprised!:p

Well, except for air condition lol!!

well finally pulled out the heater unit to see were the water is coming from and found out the fire wall around the heater vent is rooted out reached my hand up there and pulled leaves and dirt out for about 30 minutes all around the drain will have to be replaced on both sides it will be a lot of fun welding in there also drilled out all the spot welds on what was left of the passenger inner fender and found out the fire wall had several rooted spots under it so will have to replace some of the fire wall in this area also, going to order new axles this weekend so can covert over to 4.5x5 lug pattern got to looking at my jeep and think i might be able to use a set of rear drums off it on the new axles and be able to use the stock cuda inner brakes

well finally pulled out the heater unit to see were the water is coming from and found out the fire wall around the heater vent is rooted out reached my hand up there and pulled leaves and dirt out for about 30 minutes all around the drain will have to be replaced on both sides it will be a lot of fun welding in there also drilled out all the spot welds on what was left of the passenger inner fender and found out the fire wall had several rooted spots under it so will have to replace some of the fire wall in this area also, going to order new axles this weekend so can covert over to 4.5x5 lug pattern got to looking at my jeep and think i might be able to use a set of rear drums off it on the new axles and be able to use the stock cuda inner brakes

Pics??

I would like to see this! I am sure I would have seen this when the dash and windshield was out and replacing the wiper pivots. Now that you mention it, I now remember the foam gasket around the top of the heater box was bad where it met the lower cowl/fresh-air duct, that slipped my mind during the hustle to get it running. I think I would have notice this BAD rot you are talking about when I noticed the bad gasket! Sorry to say, I never pulled the heater box out nor the driverside fresh-air vent. I assumed the prior owner would have seen this as well since he used Por-15 up the firewall after he replaced the front floor pans. Guess not!:eek:ops:

Again, I never got the chance to leak test anything! It was always garaged from the day I got it and I never drove it in bad weather. Another reason I decided to let it go since it would have been left out in the weather. It is a 45 year old Mopar that is notorious for rot!!

All I can say, at least you got another rare "H" code Cuda that you were so serious about getting! If I would have known about these issues I would have told you for sure! At least it didn't ruin all the electronics mounted under the heater box!!! I would have never have mounted them there if I knew there was a leak. Sorry to hear this. Thats a damn shame!

hay i dont mind that you never saw the rusted out spots couldnt be seen till the heater was pulled and the spots on the fire wall were covered with factory tar on one side and the heater on the other side no biggie

hay i dont mind that you never saw the rusted out spots couldnt be seen till the heater was pulled and the spots on the fire wall were covered with factory tar on one side and the heater on the other side no biggie

Good to hear your not upset! I was worried about that. Its still a damn fine car!
I never liked the way Chrysler did that air intake! It was prone to leakage from day 1. If it were me I would weld it shut and use an aftermarket a/c-heater setup. Solve that issue once and for all! Instead of welding it you can use SEM Weld Bond adhesive. Way stronger than spot-welds and totally seals it from leaking. You can get it at most auto paint supply stores.

Get that beast running good and post some in-car video dammit!!:D

here's a few photos

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 716
Well I hope you can get to that without pulling the Windshiled and Dash. I used an entire tube of bedding compound to install that windshield, its definitely in there! I used All-Metal filler in the factory seam on top of the cowl. I had removed all the lead in all the seams to weld them solid. Looks like you may be able to cut the top of the cowl panel and get in there to replace that bad spot. Doesn't look to be real bad in those photos!

Do some research on that seam location. It runs from just under the lower corner of the windshield about 3 inches and makes a 45 degree turn towards the fender.

well i scored a set of axles and a set of new rear brake hardware for the car so soon as it shows up ill be able to put the wheels and tires on the car also have a brand new pro systems blow through carb on its way they were also very help full should be pretty close on the tune out of the box have the passenger side rust all taken care of at this point building a new inner fender since i already have every thing out of the way to get to the rust problem took the heater assembly apart to clean out all the 40 years of leaves out of it and found out the blower motor was froze up and the heater core was routed out have new ones on the way also at least they were easy to find soon as i finish the inner fender ill fix the rust on the drivers side

I don't know if Dan had figured out how to attach pics but here is some of his progress,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 624
Sorry no updates hurricane Sandy took out my electric and have not been able to do any thing as of latly getting a good supply of parts though

Sorry no updates hurricane Sandy took out my electric and have not been able to do any thing as of latly getting a good supply of parts though

Good to hear you made it through that storm! I meant to respond to your email about the 4-link. I would PM Maddart about his setup if thats the route your gonna take. He is out of pocket working on his Dart but I bet he would guide you in the right direction for sure.

well i broke down and bought the altercations front suspension and rear suspension and also just bought a t56 magnum trans assembly for the cuda finally found a set of a piller moldings they showed up today been to cold and wet to do any work on the car but as soon as i get a nice day ill be back at it been thinking of using a peaks dash assembly any one have any thoughts on these dashes it might help me decide wether to use one or not

well i broke down and bought the altercations front suspension and rear suspension and also just bought a t56 magnum trans assembly for the cuda finally found a set of a piller moldings they showed up today been to cold and wet to do any work on the car but as soon as i get a nice day ill be back at it been thinking of using a peaks dash assembly any one have any thoughts on these dashes it might help me decide wether to use one or not

Merry Christmas to you!! haaa :D

With the T56 you will need to do some Tunnel Mods to make it fit?

WOW! She is a lucky fish!
A whole new direction!! She oughta be a REAL beast now! Its always nice when money isn't an option:D... Peaks dashs' are nice! Look at the gauges Mad Dart is using. Pretty nice set!

She should handle like the SRT once your done! I'm Jealous!!!!!!!!!

Pics dammit!!!!

ya and i have to cut into the tostion bar mounts but when its done it will be very nice i'm getting excited almost have all the parts i need to set it up the way i want to also with the the altercation front end i can fix the exhaust so its not hitting every thing also the old steering is hitting the oil pan so i can fix that to

WOW! She is a lucky fish!
A whole new direction!! She oughta be a REAL beast now! Its always nice when money isn't an option... Peaks dashs' are nice! Look at the gauges Mad Dart is using. Pretty nice set!

She should handle like the SRT once your done! I'm Jealous!!!!!!!!!

Pics dammit!!!!

yep i'm hoping she will be a cornering machine 8-)

ya and i have to cut into the tostion bar mounts but when its done it will be very nice i'm getting excited almost have all the parts i need to set it up the way i want to also with the the altercation front end i can fix the exhaust so its not hitting every thing also the old steering is hitting the oil pan so i can fix that to
Still hitting?? I even used a 187 oil pan! Probably due to needing an alignment. I know the exhaust was close but it had a C***hair clearance before it was first run and heated up. No biggie now with the setup you are going with. There is a couple of threads here on the trans swap and detailed pics! Can't wait to see what you have done once you get started!! You could always dump the 5"dp behind the right front wheel! Alot of folks do that. If I had to do it again, it would be twins like Mad Darts setup. Easier to get the 3.5"dp's out!

What size gauges are you using I was thinking of 5" speedo and tack and 2 1/6 on the others that looks nice think I'm going to have to order one far as my exhaust thinking of using the NASCAR flat pipes so I can get the car as low as possible also was talking to Bill when I went to the shop for the front suspension he's using a rally type pan from morroso that holds 8 quarts of oil and won't hang down past the k frame for more ground clearance

Do they make a matching air / fuel gauge I like the the looks of those i seen a set similar but they did not put the Mopar logo on the ones I looked at I was also looking at set of auto gauges that they will custom design do about 900

Yes they do. I ordered up matching everything. Air Fuel included.

You can design the gauges however you want. I put the Mopar in all of mine. I built my own gauge package by choosing each gauge separately to build my kit.

The blue area is where you customize the gauges. You can put whatever color, logo, text etc you want on all or some of your gauges.

View attachment Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 9.23.04 PM.jpg

just looked at aotometer again they dont offer the 4.5 " speedo and tack so it looks like ill have to use speedhut also it looks like it takes a while to build a set one by one but they will be nice when done:happy 3:

well couldn't help myself had to order a set of gauges i think there damn nice

Attachments

• customimage-7.i.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 459
  • customimage-8.i.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 443
  • customimage-11.i.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 471
  • customimage-12.i.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 457
  • customimage-13.i.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 453