Turbo EFI 318 Finally Running

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Well it's been a long long process to add boost to a little 318 in my duster but she is running and driving. Have a few things to correct like my fuel map and some interior wiring. I used FABO so much in this build and wanted to share.

Stock magnum 318 bottom end, honed
ARP rod bolts
EQ heads
Hughes roller rockers
Turnonetics 62-1 turbo
Tial 38mm wastegate
HKS blow off valve
Custom SS hot pipes I welded
Mild roller cam
Magnum air gap
44lb injectors
Megasquirt II controlling ignition & fuel
Edelbrock throttle body

Now for body work and street legal stuff.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you, it's very packed, not much room for anything else! I'd love to add an a/c compressor or an intercooler down the road.

Nice work! You must be running LA distributor with the MS2? I like the U-joint on ground in front of car....good idea with lots of HP:lol:. I am surprised you got a pair of PRW valve covers that fit. Nice venting solution as well.

That looks great! Do you have a build thread? How did I miss it?!

Yes I'm running an LA distributor, locked out and vacuum advance removed. Megasquirt makes it nice to have full adjustment over the entire ignition advance/retard mapping, no more springs and flyweights.

I didn't make a build thread, I should have. It's been a long road and I did everything in my spare time, 15 min here, 15 min there.

Wow, you do great work! Did you fab the headers also? I'd love to see more pics of the alternator fitment. That's one of the dilemmas on my turbo build.

I fabbed all the pipes, the drivers side i used an aftermarket header that fit without too much modification. It took a long time to get everything lined up right.

I made the alternator bracket using CAD/CAM and cut it out with an auto plasma. Came out ok for a 25 year old machine. Here's some mock up pics of it. I cut out an extra 6 brackets and have 2 left. Although they're specific to LA timing cover and magnum heads only.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We had so many problems with PRW valve covers fitting we gave up. We got 10 sets and only one would bolt on without a little work on the bridgeport. You must have gotten lucky on those, its too bad too, because I really like them....just cant send out to customer if they dont bolt right on.

Yeah the covers seem to fit well, no major problems. I bought them in 2014. Were yours leaking, too? I'm unfamiliar with what you mean by bridgeport

Looks good. How much boost?

thanks guys! I plan to run 8-9 lbs of boost. I'm at high altitude (which is the main reason I went with a turbo build) so in reality it'll be about 6-7 lbs above sea level atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing the alternator pics. Again, amazing work! I have so many questions...I'm intrigued about the FI setup. Did you buy the Airgap already setup to accept the injectors or did you drill them out yourself? Seems you have access to some nice tools so I'm guessing it's the later. Can't wait to hear how it performs!

The intake had injector bungs already installed. I think it may have been a MP piece. The fuel rails were uncut and I just used a drill press to cut them and made some brackets to hold them down.

Engine should perform pretty well, I'll have to tame it down some, in the 400 range. The beauty of any turbo setup is that I can keep a mild cam up here at 6500 ft. And also have a 3.55 gear. Great power band with boost around 2500-3000 is the goal and highway economy makes it fun to drive.

First, Excellent Work, " squeezing 3 pounds of fabrication into a 1 pound box " !!!
Second, Excellent choice on the 62-1, !!! lots & lots of upgrade Hot & Cold side
'snails' available--- without stepping up to a dual ball bearing center section... $$$$
P.s, 44# per hr injectors , May I ask about the fuel supply system.
Thx !!

Thank you, yes the engine bay is very full now, although the passenger fender came out of it untouched. Fuel system is a 16 gal fuel cell in the trunk - right where the spare tire used to be, 8AN lines and a filter to an aeromotive A750 pump, Filter, 6AN, Y block, then the fuel rails. Fuel is retuned to tank with an aeromotive boost reference regulator and 6AN return lines.

Yes absolutely. In a different way, I haven't been able to take it into boost on the street yet. Very cautous about getting the air/fuel just right. With a stock bottom end and Pistons it can all end very quickly.

I'm tuning in on 91 right now (91 is premium at altitude). This is where I believe i fucked up a little; I put in a -6 AN pressure and return line. I am unsure if running E85 or a E45 mix of premium and E85 is even possible. I have plenty of injector flow to work with but I dunno about pressure and volume. In hindsight I would have made it -8 AN pump to rail. So for now it's 91 and making it very rich when at power. I did make a 4 gallon water/meth tank so If I feel the itch for more power I will buy a pump and injector kit and cool it down that way.

Been having issues with MS2 lately so it's been slow progress. Tunerstudio wants to suddenly go offline when connected to MS2 and engine running. Making it difficult to tune. I'm very rich at idle, and1300 rpm. I must have some idle air control settings wrong. And idle afr is 12.7:1
So I have some work to do and lots of reading with Megasquirt. I deployed overseas and have forgotten just about everything when i came back.

Ill have to hit you up on MS2 and Tunerstudio tips...Putting that on a T6ish 273 or blow-thru..

Y
I'm tuning in on 91 right now (91 is premium at altitude). This is where I believe i fucked up a little; I put in a -6 AN pressure and return line. I am unsure if running E85 or a E45 mix of premium and E85 is even possible. I have plenty of injector flow to work with but I dunno about pressure and volume. In hindsight I would have made it -8 AN pump to rail. So for now it's 91 and making it very rich when at power. I did make a 4 gallon water/meth tank so If I feel the itch for more power I will buy a pump and injector kit and cool it down that way.

Been having issues with MS2 lately so it's been slow progress. Tunerstudio wants to suddenly go offline when connected to MS2 and engine running. Making it difficult to tune. I'm very rich at idle, and1300 rpm. I must have some idle air control settings wrong. And idle afr is 12.7:1
So I have some work to do and lots of reading with Megasquirt. I deployed overseas and have forgotten just about everything when i came back.
I'm building mine for E85, but blow thru and I did run -8AN round-trip, but wanted some scale if I build a stout motor and decide to really turn up the pressure.

Given that you are only shooting for 400hp, you may be able to get by with E85 and your -6AN plumbing. I bet you would be fine. E85 needs ~30% more volume.

Eager to hear how your MS2 setup works out. I want to eventually FI mine as well.

Best of luck!

MS2 is great in a lot of ways. It's also very involved. I picked Megasquirt because with any efi setup you will do one of 2 things, spend a lot and learn very little or spend little and learn a lot. MS has a lot of online support and even the retailers are there to help you out as well. I would recommend buying a prebuilt control unit instead of soldering your own together. The glory and confusion of MS is it can be used for any engine in any configuration with tons of options with several inputs and outputs. Want to turn on electric fans at a specific temp? Want to add boost control? Want to kill fuel and ignition if there is an over boost condition? So many options. It takes a lot of reading up on the forums and www.megamanual.com, etc. but it will be worth it in the end. Good luck guys!

-
Back