**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
Wow Louis, your garage is bigger than the upstairs AND downstairs of my house put together, by quite a bit! LOL. Very jealous man I am! I'd live in a shack for a shop that big. I would definitely be looking at a lift for that space.

SAAWEEEEEET tank too btw!

It is a nice tank. Dads builds them to your specs, however you want and the materials are thicker than the rest too. It took a long time but worth the wait. The two return lines even have tubes that go to the bottom of the tank so fuel doesn't start foaming up from splash.

I read somewhere that guys are using straps instead of tabs to mount tanks cause the tabs can cause the tank wall to crack when things flex. Not sure if it is now a drag tech rule or not. I am re-using my tabbed alum tank in the Demon build, screw 'em.

I love the way the outside of your shop looks like something other than a metal building. I need a new shop, heated, A/C, insulated. Heated concrete floor would be the sh*t too.

they told me that mine is done again, that there picking it it up monday from the welder

I read somewhere that guys are using straps instead of tabs to mount tanks cause the tabs can cause the tank wall to crack when things flex. Not sure if it is now a drag tech rule or not. I am re-using my tabbed alum tank in the Demon build, screw 'em.

I love the way the outside of your shop looks like something other than a metal building. I need a new shop, heated, A/C, insulated. Heated concrete floor would be the sh*t too.
Not sure if it,s a NHRA rule,but you wouldn,t wanna get to the track,just to find out your screwed down tab is leaking and can,t race.Straps for everybodies safety seems logical.Just sayin.

Straps can be added pretty easy by gong around the tank and right over the tabs without removing them. I know the summit/ jegs fuel cells are a lot thinner material than what mine is built out of.

I was wondering about the NHRA rules about aluminum tank rules and specifically tabs. Mine is mounted with tabs and my aluminum cell for the turbo Dart is also mounted by tabs. The NHRA rule book makes no mention about tabs or mounting systems except the size of the bolt and where that bolt ties to. I did look at a number of other cars and what they use and I found more than a few stock cars with aluminum fuel tanks mounted with tabs. Mostly European exotic stuff.

That's gonna look so sweet. What size are the large gauges?

That's gonna look so sweet. What size are the large gauges?

Speedo & Tach will be 4.5"
Boost 2 5/8" in center of dash in between the Speedo & Tach
The other 6 will be 2 1/16th
Trans Temp,Fuel Gauge,Voltage,Oil Pressure,Coolant Temp,Air/Fuel Ratio.

I just picked up the small amount of metal I need to get the trunk all done.

I finally had some time to work on mounting the fuel cell, meth tank and fuel pumps. Should be able to get it all mocked up tomorrow night I hope. Ill post pics of it when it's finished.

Spent a couple hours this morning messing with the Dart. I have 2 more mounting tabs to fab up and weld on to hold the Fuel Pumps. Then I have to finish up the welding in the trunk. Little bit left then I can mark it off of my punch list.

The aluminum flat bar will also help hold up the Peg Board cover that goes over the spare tire well. On top of that will be a trunk mat cut around everything so it will give it a clean finish look.

View attachment phpkVG5rtPM.jpg

View attachment php4EHVt3PM.jpg

View attachment phpkYgBfuPM.jpg

View attachment phpqUFZGAPM.jpg

View attachment phpUyCShtPM.jpg

View attachment phpIWR1X0PM.jpg

View attachment phpzTWPEXPM.jpg

View attachment php2x310fPM.jpg

Mad Dart, I have been following this thread for more than a year. I mean this in the best possible way, but I think I hate you. You are able to do what you like, do it the right way, and are able to fabricate what you need. That is awesome. Thanks for the thread. I'd like to hear if you got the motor problems fixed and properly dyno'd yet.

Mad Dart, I have been following this thread for more than a year. I mean this in the best possible way, but I think I hate you. You are able to do what you like, do it the right way, and are able to fabricate what you need. That is awesome. Thanks for the thread. I'd like to hear if you got the motor problems fixed and properly dyno'd yet.

Haaa, that is funny. I really wish it would go faster but it just doesn't. When I first thought about doing the Turbo Build, member turbodart68 aka "Chris" was trying to explain to me that it is a long process, of course I was like no way........ Well I should have listened cause now over 2 years later it is still going.....and going and going......
I was thinking shoot he is crazy, I'll knock it out in a few months.... No Problem.....WRONG!!:banghead: One thing I am learning is I need to listen to people who have already done it and have been successful at it. Non Turbo/Boost knowledge is a no go from the NA/Carb crowd... Sorry their advise is just NO Good when it comes to EFI/Boosted applications. Example: you want to buy gold and your Landscaper says he can get a good deal....... YOU better Run and fast cause you will NEVER see your $$ or gold, it is LOST Forever!! haaaa You need to go to the experts/people with experience in that field........whatever field that is.

I have all the electronics taken care of as far as a new crank trigger, cam signal etc and I installed the 8 - D585 Coils so it is TRUE sequential now. I never should have listened to some advise I got about the Dual Sync Distributor. Someone told me "This is what you need" so I bought it off them without doing my own research. That was the down fall of the Dyno experience. That $200.00 Dizzy cost me $1500.00+ and that is NO JOKE. The Megasquirt wants more Data than 4 Pulses every 360 Degrees "1 every 90* of Crank Rotation is only enough to PISS IT OFF, so it will not operate correctly with a "Low Tooth Count Trigger Wheel" which is what the Dual Sync Dizzy is. So I installed a 36:1 wheel that sends DATA every 10* of crank rotation. This for sure will fix the Ignition issue I was having.

As far as the Dyno goes...... The car will be painted hopefully by the end of March and everything will be installed at that time. The car then will be towed to the Dyno Rollers and tuned correctly by someone that actually knows what they are doing. I know the motor leaks absolutely no fluids so we are good to go on that!!

One thing I can say is I have learned a TON during this long drawn out process.

For many it's time or money to do it. For me it's health and money,lol. At least you ARE getting it done which is more than I can say. Even if I regain enough health to go back to work,which I just might yet I'll have 4 yrs of debt from not working to cover before I can even think on pouring bucks into my Dart. Oh well,I can always watch your progress!:cheers:

I finally had some time to work on mounting the fuel cell, meth tank and fuel pumps. Should be able to get it all mocked up tomorrow night I hope. Ill post pics of it when it's finished.

Meth tank?! Must be the 909 haha!

Haaa, that is funny. I really wish it would go faster but it just doesn't. When I first thought about doing the Turbo Build, member turbodart68 aka "Chris" was trying to explain to me that it is a long process, of course I was like no way........ Well I should have listened cause now over 2 years later it is still going.....and going and going......
I was thinking shoot he is crazy, I'll knock it out in a few months.... No Problem.....WRONG!!:banghead: One thing I am learning is I need to listen to people who have already done it and have been successful at it. Non Turbo/Boost knowledge is a no go from the NA/Carb crowd... Sorry their advise is just NO Good when it comes to EFI/Boosted applications. Example: you want to buy gold and your Landscaper says he can get a good deal....... YOU better Run and fast cause you will NEVER see your $$ or gold, it is LOST Forever!! haaaa You need to go to the experts/people with experience in that field........whatever field that is.

I have all the electronics taken care of as far as a new crank trigger, cam signal etc and I installed the 8 - D585 Coils so it is TRUE sequential now. I never should have listened to some advise I got about the Dual Sync Distributor. Someone told me "This is what you need" so I bought it off them without doing my own research. That was the down fall of the Dyno experience. That $200.00 Dizzy cost me $1500.00+ and that is NO JOKE. The Megasquirt wants more Data than 4 Pulses every 360 Degrees "1 every 90* of Crank Rotation is only enough to PISS IT OFF, so it will not operate correctly with a "Low Tooth Count Trigger Wheel" which is what the Dual Sync Dizzy is. So I installed a 36:1 wheel that sends DATA every 10* of crank rotation. This for sure will fix the Ignition issue I was having.

As far as the Dyno goes...... The car will be painted hopefully by the end of March and everything will be installed at that time. The car then will be towed to the Dyno Rollers and tuned correctly by someone that actually knows what they are doing. I know the motor leaks absolutely no fluids so we are good to go on that!!

One thing I can say is I have learned a TON during this long drawn out process.

Yep you crazy.

-
Back