Twin Turbo '74 Duster

-

TT'74

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum for a turbo/fuel injection build, if it isn't can a Mod please move it to the correct place.

Starting off I fuel injected my duster about 3 years ago now, I ran a stock 5.2l from a '94 dodge with a 727. I utilized all of the factory engine wiring and a MP ECU and just supplied the required constant and keyed on power. About a year later I tore the car down again and had my first go at fabrication and twin turbod the car. The turbos used are T3 (.48AR exhaust) Ford SVO turbos, utilizing magnum manifolds. With everything put together I ran 7psi on the stock rotating assembly with no tune. Since then I've added a methanol injection kit that is actuated by a pressure switch and upped the boost to 11psi.
TTdone.jpg

Right now the car is disassembled and will be sent of for paint shortly. While running this setup I've noticed the short comings of the OBD1 electronics in a force induction application ( The computers aren't easily tuned, it's prohibitively expensive and isn't very precise). So since the car is torn down I'm going to be placing a 5.2l from a '99 dodge 1500 in place of the old engine as well as a 44RE to replace the 727. I've just finished modifying the upper trans cross member to accept the wider tail section.
Viewed from the rear:
S7304507.jpg

From the front:
S7304506.jpg

From the Front reboxed:
S7304511.jpg

From the Rear reboxed:
S7304512.jpg

Bottom view:
S7304513.jpg

I should find time to do the lower cross member and the trans mount this weekend. I'm posting this up because I know a lot of people have questions regarding a turbo mopar and I think there may be some people interested in what is involved to put and auto overdrive into an A-body.

Is that you Deryk? if not, that's wild that there is another TT 74 red duster :lol:
I've got some cold side piping to setup and figure out the oil lines and I'm ready to boost the /6

Ya it's me, glad to hear you're still making progress. Whats next for you? Just bellying up and hooking it all together?

Hopefully Thursday I'll get my lower fabbed up then I can send the car for paint.

Well, I wouldn't call it progress, more like building momentum. I've been called out about 5 times in the last 2 weeks with comments like... " you haven't installed it YET!?!?! " and "Dude, Grow a set "

It's just really hard to take apart a daily driver to mock up piping and stuff, and I've got half finished projects getting in the way...I must look like a dear in the headlights when the wife asks "what are you starting now when you've got crap all over the garage?"
Now that she is working, I do have much more unsupervised time to play in the garage... :)

cool stuff.

How did it run on the boost? I dislike Fi because at the stock level your limited to Max. Fuel Volume/Delivery capability, if you start off with nothing all the necessary components cost alot...then cost alot more to upgrade, and can fail because they are electrical.

I like tuning with a screwdriver so,

I am going the simplier route and staying with a carb...

I dig your gumption though...lets see what its got!!

I'll be out at the shop again this Friday to grab some pics. The car is currently in the paint booth. Got the lower cross member finished last weekend. Working on the headers right now. I will try to get some new pics up though come the end of the week.

Sorry it has taken me so long to update this, I've been busy with work and finals. So far I've finished the lower bolt on for the core support and have made some fair progress on my headers. I also came across a single plane intake and purchased an 80mm throttle body for it. Unfortunately the car is still at the paint shop so there hasn't been any reassembly yet.

P1010016.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010011.jpg

Headers are done minus the turbo flange. NO, they aren't pretty but they don't leak either. I'm going to clean them up a bit and once I get them in the car I will trim them to length, weld on the flange then have them ceramic coated.

S7305269.jpg

S7305268.jpg

S7305270.jpg

Well, it's my understanding that turbocharged engines respond better to manifolds, anyway. I wouldn't worry about what somebody else thinks of your headers. I think they're great because you're out there DOING something. They will serve the purpose, I imagine.....and if they fail, then you LEARN.

I....however will politically, and correctly say:

If (1) tiny itsy bitsy piece of welding slag or bb comes loose at *1650 it will next impact the outer tip of the turbine with it spinning and chip the tip off as the piece exits the housing, which will then cause the turbocharger to lose its balance and it will wobble until it wipes out the quill bearing and starts letting the oil pressure escape out the quill seal....ending in catastrophic Compressor/Turbine seizure.....x2 for you TT worshippers.

I would not use anything on a turbo system that has not been professionally welded.

I would go as far to say for ME its ONLY Stainless Steel, and I prefer T321 for turbo header material, but will use T306 as well.,welded in the TiG process.

I wish you the best of luck with that.

On second thought....I would take your dimentions, and make a clean set.....call these your mock up fixtures.

So running the EFI motor with a 727 you dont have to do any thing special to the computer if you not running the stock trans as lomf as you can power the ecu your good.

So running the EFI motor with a 727 you dont have to do any thing special to the computer if you not running the stock trans as lomf as you can power the ecu your good.

OBD1 EFI doesn't control the trans at all. Some dodge trucks and panel vans came with 727's in them in the early 90's. Thats where my 727 i was using came from, already had the bellhousin notched and everything.

I....however will politically, and correctly say:

If (1) tiny itsy bitsy piece of welding slag or bb comes loose at *1650 it will next impact the outer tip of the turbine with it spinning and chip the tip off as the piece exits the housing, which will then cause the turbocharger to lose its balance and it will wobble until it wipes out the quill bearing and starts letting the oil pressure escape out the quill seal....ending in catastrophic Compressor/Turbine seizure.....x2 for you TT worshippers.
I wish you the best of luck with that.

If I said that I plan on having them ceramic coated insided and out as a preventative maintenance for the tiny itsy bitsy pieces. Would that be more acceptable? Seriously asking no hard feelings.

Because yes, Ideally i'd rather have TIG'd stainless thats professionally made. But for now at 22 my budget doesn't support those kinds of ventures and I'm enjoying the experience of learning how to do some of this stuff. I figure that everyone starts out somewhere. This is just where i am for now.

Ceramic coating will run you about $300 for the set and you are still left with all of the bumps and irregularities that will restrict flow. I am on a shoe string budget trying to do everything myself and I can honestly say that I believe my manifolds would look exactly the same as yours, which is why the only thing I'm not welding and doing my self is the manifold. I'm starting out with SS mandrel bends, cutting and spot welding to taste then bringing them to a pro to put the seams in, may be around $600 by the time it's all said and done. The down pipe, exhaust, no problem, hack it up as long as it flows. Just my 2 cents, but when prine talks turbo, I listen, and mad darts politeness aside his twin turbo is the envy of the block and if hes not sure, u shouldn't be ether. Your honesty and quest for good info will keep you on the right track and I'm just being a pain in the ***, so good luck with the build and keep us posted!:-D

Guy,
I bought a header kit from JEGS for $119 and flanges off ebay for $35..
Cut the bends you need and go. Use a mig with .023 wire with slow wire speed and 2/3 power. Just make sure you fab a bracket for the turbo(s) and mount it to the engine. Don't put the weight on the headers! Mine looks crazy but it will work!

Attachments

• progress 007.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,434
-
Back