Ummm this can’t be good

-
From what I’ve been researching, better than even a max wedge head. Unported, they will support 500 hp, ported can support allegedly 7-800.
wow.. didn't expect that.... and i assume forged crank being that old.... kinda wanna see a couple of turbos on there :)

wow.. didn't expect that.... and i assume forged crank being that old.... kinda wanna see a couple of turbos on there :)
Yep, forged crank, rods and pistons. The bottom ends are STOUT

Yep, forged crank, rods and pistons. The bottom ends are STOUT
That’s a well proven fact! Look how many of things swilled 98% nitro (sometimes mixed with hydrazine!) through an 8-71 and went multiple passes without failures. There’s a guy from the “gator country” with a boat load of National titles (and many others!) earned with the factory iron blocks of that era…

Last edited:
That’s a well proven fact! Look how many of things swilled 98% nitro (sometimes mixed with hydrazine!) through an 8-71 and went multiple passes without failures. There’s a guy from the “gator country” with a boat load of National titles (and many others!) with the factory iron blocks of that era…
Factory nickel iron blocks. According to motor trend some of the nitro cars were making north of 1500 hp on the stock forged cranks and rods.

Depending on just how deep I go into this, I might have the crank cut for big block Chevy pins and rods basically creating a 364 stroker with a corresponding bore

I had a '52 Imperial I wanted to put a 3-71 or 4-71 blower on but never happened.

The Marine Hemis had adjustable rockers. I knew a guy who paid almost 2 grand for my friend's 2 marine Hemis and that's all he took, he left the rest!

Chrysler was getting 180 Horsepower out the 331 Hemi and Cadillac was only getting 160 out of their 331!

Pistones? is that the French word for pistons?
:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:
Seriously, though, I bet all you have inside is a free spinning crank. No pistones, no connecting rods, no timing chain.
At least it isn't locked up. PLEASE keep us advised of the teardown AND the rebuild. I have never seen the rebuild of an early Hemi. Is it different than the later ones?
If it's missing pistonies, it should have better gas mileage.

There seems to be a bit of bad infomation in this thread reguarding early Chrysler Hemis. Yes the crankshafts and rods are forged, but the pistons are cast with steel inserts in the skirt area. The 331 heads are only good if you get the 1954 on up large port heads. The 1955 are considered to be the best flowing. The O/P looks to have a 1951 to 53 extended bell Hemi that has the small ports and valves.
There is a large wealth of information on the H.A.M.B. traditional hot rod forum on the Jalopy journal. Here is a link to there Hemi tech index.
HEMI Tech- INDEX

Last edited:
According to an older HRM article featuring HotHeads, the 331 head was the best flowing of the early Hemi heads, with a flow curve very similar to a rectangular port big block Chevrolet head. Very impressive for early 1950s technology! I’ll see if I can find a link to the article here.
The 54 and LATER heads were. The 51 to 53 331 heads with the tiny round exhaust ports SUCK.

There seems to be a bit of bad infomation in this thread reguarding early Chrysler Hemis. Yes the crankshafts and rods are forged, but the pistons are cast with steel inserts in the skirt area. The 331 heads are only good if you get the 1954 on up large port heads. The 1955 are considered to be the best flowing. The O/P looks to ha a 1951 to 53 extended bell Hemi.
There is a large wealth of information on the H.A.M.B. traditional hot rod forum on the Jalopy journal. Here is a link to there Hemi tech index.
HEMI Tech- INDEX
This ^^^^^

Factory nickel iron blocks. According to motor trend some of the nitro cars were making north of 1500 hp on the stock forged cranks and rods.

Depending on just how deep I go into this, I might have the crank cut for big block Chevy pins and rods basically creating a 364 stroker with a corresponding bore

Just get a munched 392 crank and have it cut for your 331. 3.91 stroke and rod journals can be offset ground as well. Watch your big end rod widths when trying to use other makes of rods.

Just get a munched 392 crank and have it cut for your 331. 3.91 stroke and rod journals can be offset ground as well. Watch your big end rod widths when trying to use other makes of rods.
Notes thanks! Sadly, this project gonna be on hold for a bit now that I had my Cummins shake itself a part and have bearings for supper.

-
Back