USPS Suspends Delivery to Six States

-
What happened to:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
Hard times required hard men.... Today we have more alphabet soup characters than serious people... But you knew that Msgt..

The storms been through, roads in my small town are clear, and mail is coming in fine. I live just east of a town mentioned in the article, not sure why they'd close today, yesterday was the crap day.

What happened to:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
That went out the window a LONG time ago.

Good grief. Did any of you actually read the entire article? This is a direct quote from the linked article...

"Despite the hazardous weather, the Postal Service hasn't reported any delivery suspensions in its recent updates. In fact, the agency said in its alert for Michigan that "delivery operations will not be affected."

So, the title of the article was pretty much clickbait bullshit. The mail is getting delivered, the article even says it is. Some post offices are closed (how many are closed on any given day?), and suddenly it's an indictment of all the things you don't like in society.

Yeah, if the power goes out the post office is going to close. Everything works off a computer or a card reader, so nothing's happening if the power is out. If they close the highway, nobody gets through, including the mail. I5 was closed in SoCal over the grapevine all day, that's gonna cause some delays because that's 85,000+ vehicles that didn't get through today. The article says there are "over 100 post offices" closed today. There are 31,330 post offices in the US. So .3% of the post offices in the country were closed, in the middle of winter, in the middle of a massive, multi-state blizzard. Wow. :realcrazy:

Good grief. Did any of you actually read the entire article? This is a direct quote from the linked article...

"Despite the hazardous weather, the Postal Service hasn't reported any delivery suspensions in its recent updates. In fact, the agency said in its alert for Michigan that "delivery operations will not be affected."

So, the title of the article was pretty much clickbait bullshit. The mail is getting delivered, the article even says it is. Some post offices are closed (how many are closed on any given day?), and suddenly it's an indictment of all the things you don't like in society.

Yeah, if the power goes out the post office is going to close. Everything works off a computer or a card reader, so nothing's happening if the power is out. If they close the highway, nobody gets through, including the mail. I5 was closed in SoCal over the grapevine all day, that's gonna cause some delays because that's 85,000+ vehicles that didn't get through today. The article says there are "over 100 post offices" closed today. There are 31,330 post offices in the US. So .3% of the post offices in the country were closed, in the middle of winter, in the middle of a massive, multi-state blizzard. Wow. :realcrazy:
Exactly. The gist of the article was grab your shovel to keep YOUR walkway and mailbox accessible.

I was going to reply like you did and thought better of it they must also have happy dynos
or cant tune either

The roads in N. CA and all S. Oregon have been treacherous this week due to nighttime temps going into the 20s and daytime exceeding 32. Add snow to that black ice and the wreck is on. I have worked through extreme weather traveling up and down I-5 and it's tributaries for years and the only thing you can do is chain up and be patient. 25mph is crawling but you will get there. I once towed a Tucker Snocat 9 hours from McCloud, CA to just outside Hallelujah Junction on 395 at the CA/NV state line. It was slow and driving that far chained up on all 8 at 25-30mph was brutal. The only solution is to crank the music, savor your hot coffee and enjoy the storm.

In contrast to my experience, you would be shocked at how unprepared some folks will be traveling into the rural/mountainous areas. T shirt, flip flops and no I dont know how to put chains on my 18 wheel automatic transmission equipped semi lol

As with any experience in life, people with no interest in their own well being will kill your good time in a hurry.

In this case they are holding up our car parts!

Well this caint be good.

Towns in 6 different states. THe people will still get mail but post offices will be closing in small towns. Like in Elk Horn, Iowa the population is about 500. It's like not having a police department in those small towns but the county Sherriff's department takes care of that duty.

The weather doesn't stop the postal service from doing its job. Lawsuits and work comp claims, on the other hand....

Wonder how 93 is through Eastern Nevada especially between Ely and Wells

The roads in N. CA and all S. Oregon have been treacherous this week due to nighttime temps going into the 20s and daytime exceeding 32. Add snow to that black ice and the wreck is on. I have worked through extreme weather traveling up and down I-5 and it's tributaries for years and the only thing you can do is chain up and be patient. 25mph is crawling but you will get there. I once towed a Tucker Snocat 9 hours from McCloud, CA to just outside Hallelujah Junction on 395 at the CA/NV state line. It was slow and driving that far chained up on all 8 at 25-30mph was brutal. The only solution is to crank the music, savor your hot coffee and enjoy the storm.

In contrast to my experience, you would be shocked at how unprepared some folks will be traveling into the rural/mountainous areas. T shirt, flip flops and no I dont know how to put chains on my 18 wheel automatic transmission equipped semi lol

As with any experience in life, people with no interest in their own well being will kill your good time in a hurry.

In this case they are holding up our car parts!

Dont know about down south where you are but up north the morons get stuck on a minor slope and jet get out and leave their cars right in the middle of road. Anywhere. You get to highway 26 going up Sylvan and it’s a F’ing parking lot. Many other places too.

Ive always said the county should get the big dozers out there and go up those hills and shove all that **** right off the road.

If their car doesn’t mean enough to them to learn to drive in the snow they need to ride a bus or stay home.

And now, there is sniveling and whining and moaning a gnashing of teeth because the simple minded dullards who left their cars on these highways are pissed that thieves are out there raping their cars of anything and everything they can get.

I would expect no less.

Towns in 6 different states. THe people will still get mail but post offices will be closing in small towns. Like in Elk Horn, Iowa the population is about 500. It's like not having a police department in those small towns but the county Sherriff's department takes care of that duty.
Yeah, we have Haddock, Georgia in this county and the Jones County Sheriff's Dept services that town.......but it's a stretch for them.

Hard times required hard men.... Today we have more alphabet soup characters than serious people... But you knew that Msgt..
My grandfather walked a mail route with a shoulder bag in Baltimore for 20 years after surviving the war….so yes.

What happened to:

Those words are part of a poem that was written before there were actual letter carriers. At the time it applied to the couriers that moved mail from one office to another.
It was never an offical motto or directive.
There was a point in time, and it actually still exists, that if you wanted your mail, you would have to go to a post office and get it.

Having said all of that, I carried mail in two separate blizzards, several feet of snow, pouring down rain, freezing cold, 100°+ temps, and in the dark more times than I care for.
I did that 12-15 miles a day, double satchel and used relay boxes.
The fact that people feel it's okay for a person to risk their lives in dangerous weather, and now a criminal element, so they get their junk mail or **** from Amazon, just demonstrates how entitled people have become.

Those words are part of a poem that was written before there were actual letter carriers.

My post was more of a joke than a dig. Other than those in normally dangerous jobs (police, fire, etc.) nobody should have to risk their lives for work.

My son is a letter carrier. He was dog bite when the dog's owner sent the dog on him. Surveillance video caught it camera. Had to go through rabies shots and nearly a year of rehab. Thankfully, he's fine now. Never caught the owner or the dog.

649701441.jpg

I could wait there's only one or two days a month I get needed mail, the rest of the month is just junk mail.
Come to think of it, most of it can be seen in my email.
Packages usually show up in two days, I can wait a week, it's better than the 10-14 days it took years ago.

My post was more of a joke than a dig. Other than those in normally dangerous jobs (police, fire, etc.) nobody should have to risk their lives for work.

My son is a letter carrier. He was dog bite when the dog's owner sent the dog on him. Surveillance video caught it camera. Had to go through rabies shots and nearly a year of rehab. Thankfully, he's fine now. Never caught the owner or the dog.

View attachment 1716055772

Never got bit, came close way more times than I was comfortable with. I had more problems with the human animals.
Had meth heads, ****** users and everything in between threaten me.
W-2 season in section 8 housing can become sketchy as hell. Especially when they got it in their head your holding out on them.
Your son go back to the job?

There was a point in time, and it actually still exists, that if you wanted your mail, you would have to go to a post office and get it
I never had to until I moved to my current location. I could put up a mail box, but that doesn't guarantee the driver will deliver it, so PO Box it is. I just stop on the way home from work and pick it up. My post office closes regardless of weather, due to staffing shortages in the area.

-
Back