V.I.N. Rivets in door jamb

-

Diesel1276

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the rivets on the vin plate in the door jamb? Im painting my 1967 Dart and want to remove the plate, and then reinstall it with new rivets. Thanks.

What is the best way to remove the rivets on the vin plate in the door jamb? Im painting my 1967 Dart and want to remove the plate, and then reinstall it with new rivets. Thanks.
What year and model? Show us a close up photo. Most door plates were spotted in and not riveted. The rivets Jaz posted above are for dash top tags.

What year and model? Show us a close up photo. Most door plates were spotted in and not riveted. The rivets Jaz posted above are for dash top tags.
Its rivets. Ill get a pic when i get home. But not spot welded. Looks like rosette rivets.

Just drill them out like any other rivet. Easy peezy.

For the replacements, you can slide the rivet part off the rivet shank, softly chuck it in a drill, and touch it to some scotchbrite, followed up by some polish and a microfiber to give it some shine before popping them in place.

Just a thought...

Take a pic of the VIN plate's original location and rivets before you remove it.

Not sure about the USA but here in Canada its totally illegal to remove the VIN tag from a vehicle for any reason.

If its missing, Dept of motor vehicles issues a new one when you provide the appropriate documentation and proof of ownership.

Me, I would just carefully tape it up and paint around it and avoid any issues down the road.

Just a thought...

Take a pic of the VIN plate's original location and rivets before you remove it.

Not sure about the USA but here in Canada its totally illegal to remove the VIN tag from a vehicle for any reason.

If its missing, Dept of motor vehicles issues a new one when you provide the appropriate documentation and proof of ownership.

Me, I would just carefully tape it up and paint around it and avoid any issues down the road.
KINDA LIKE THE MATTRESS POLICE ???

:rofl:

-
Back