V8 273 head question

-

Romulo Roderiques

Reaction score
OK here is my dilemma. I have an early 65 Dart and swapping over to 4 barrell carb. I'm having a difficult time finding the correct manifold due to the weird bolt angle. What choices do I have in newer heads? I don't want to change the cam and want to keep the internals stock.

Thanks for your help.

OK here is my dilemma. I have an early 65 Dart and swapping over to 4 barrell carb. I'm having a difficult time finding the correct manifold due to the weird bolt angle. What choices do I have in newer heads? I don't want to change the cam and want to keep the internals stock.

Thanks for your help.
‘920 or ‘302 heads.

Any of the small block LA 318 heads will fit it, it's just that you have to keep an eye on the CC of the head so you don't give up a bunch of compression. And, 2.02 valves won't fit the 273 cylinder

Can you point me the right direction where I can find them?
Nothing wrong with the stock heads except they take a specific intake. #178, 234, and 920 heads are good ones. You're heads are probably #080's. As 65Val mentioned, the #302's are a good head for 273's as well. They have 273/318 sized ports, small closed chambers and a bonus of hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel. A wanted ad is a good place to find them but shipping is always a issue because of the weight.

I have a 5489 offenhauser intake which is for the 64-65 273. But it looks like the bolt holes were altered to fit the 66 up 273. Not sure if it will still work on your early model.

I have a 5489 offenhauser intake which is for the 64-65 273. But it looks like the bolt holes were altered to fit the 66 up 273. Not sure if it will still work on your early model.
I don't know either. How were they altered? Were they drilled a bigger diameter?

Thanks for your help.
You can also “modify” a newer intake to work with the early heads by “wallering out” the bolt holes. Not ideal, but works.

Nothing wrong with the stock heads except they take a specific intake. #178, 234, and 920 heads are good ones. You're heads are probably #080's. As 65Val mentioned, the #302's are a good head for 273's as well. They have 273/318 sized ports, small closed chambers and a bonus of hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel. A wanted ad is a good place to find them but shipping is always a issue because of the weight.
Are they not available to purchase anymore? What is a #302? Is that the end of rhe casting #?

What valves will fit then?
You won't need to worry about any factory 318 heads having 2.02 valves. Usually 302 (casting number) heads can be found from '85-'91 318's. Gotta watch 'em, they are known to cracking. You could use a common, cheap 318 head from the mid '70's and mill them about .040 to try to maintain the CC's.

Are they not available to purchase anymore? What is a #302? Is that the end of rhe casting #?
Yes, The last 3 of the casting number. Rockauto has #302's available from time to time. Rebuilt and they look good. Let me see if I can find the thread where were talking about them.

You do not need heads or anything else. I would use the Offenhauser intake. See post #8, just use 5/16 Grade 8 hardened washers. You should also be able to use a newer intake with these angled washers. McMaster-Carr Since newer intakes use larger bolts you may not have to do any modifications to the 66 up intake. Just do not use the standard stock steel shim 273 / 318 intake gaskets with any intake. There was also another thread where a member did something similar.

You do not need heads or anything else. I would use the Offenhauser intake. See post #8, just use 5/16 Grade 8 hardened washers. You should also be able to use a newer intake with these angled washers. McMaster-Carr Since newer intakes use larger bolts you may not have to do any modifications to the 66 up intake. Just do not use the standard stock steel shim 273 / 318 intake gaskets with any intake. There was also another thread where a member did something similar.
I can't find the offenhauser intake anywhere. Not even for the 65 273

Yes, The last 3 of the casting number. Rockauto has #302's available from time to time. Rebuilt and they look good. Let me see if I can find the thread where were talking about them.
I may buy these. Are the head bolts reusable? Do you know where I can get torque specs?

If you’d like a pair of 1966 273 heads, and you’re near Michigan, message me and I’ll hook you up.

-
Back