V8 273 head question

-
Are you talking about the heat crossover in the middle? 2176 should work. I have used 273 intakes on 318's and 318 aftermarket intakes on 273's. Never a problem. Do you have to use a 1/2 inch wrench on the 273 intake bolts?

I'm at work so can't check at the moment on bolts but yes I'm talking about the heat crossover not matching.

I will take a pic of the intake on the car and post it
Are you talking about the gap or space around the heat riser passage? That is normal. With the intake on you can see the outside opening. Just guessing here.

heat riser passage.JPG

Are you talking about the gap or space around the heat riser passage? That is normal. With the intake on you can see the outside opening. Just guessing here.

View attachment 1715686531

I am. I was figuring since I couldn't see it with the OE one that something was wrong. But the bolt holes still don't line up. Should I get the offset washers then? And can I use a regular 318 felpro intake gasket on the edelbrock intake?

I am. I was figuring since I couldn't see it with the OE one that something was wrong. But the bolt holes still don't line up. Should I get the offset washers then? And can I use a regular 318 felpro intake gasket on the edelbrock intake?

Holes still don't line up how?? Intake sitting "high" of "low"?? Intake high, give it a shave, intake low, thicker gaskets.

Holes still don't line up how?? Intake sitting "high" of "low"?? Intake high, give it a shave, intake low, thicker gaskets.
I think we are still talking about 65 heads and 66 and newer intake.

Are you talking about the heat crossover in the middle? 2176 should work. I have used 273 intakes on 318's and 318 aftermarket intakes on 273's. Never a problem. Do you have to use a 1/2 inch wrench on the 273 intake bolts?

Here is a pic with the 2176 installed. Had to drill the intake bolt holes larger because they didn't line up with the head.

20210214_132713.jpg
20210214_132737.jpg
20210214_132737.jpg

20210214_132719.jpg

Did you get the washers? Are you up and running?
Got the washers. Spent hours test fitting and drilling bolt holes. Going to bolt it up today and let the silicone dry before I fire it up. Still need to verify the linkage for new 4 barrel Holley

Yes. Here is a pic. I was worried the runmers wouldn't line up.

View attachment 1715690974

Don’t worry about that eyebrow above the heat crossover. It should be exposed.

I wouldn’t slot the bolt holes IF you are doing it to get the bolts in (not withstanding that the angle is different) because if the bolt holes in the intake are higher than the bolt holes in the head, you need to mill the intake manifold to get the holes lined up.

If you slot or oversize the holes, you may get the bolt in, but the ports in the intake won’t line up with the ports in the head.

Don’t worry about that eyebrow above the heat crossover. It should be exposed.

I wouldn’t slot the bolt holes IF you are doing it to get the bolts in (not withstanding that the angle is different) because if the bolt holes in the intake are higher than the bolt holes in the head, you need to mill the intake manifold to get the holes lined up.

If you slot or oversize the holes, you may get the bolt in, but the ports in the intake won’t line up with the ports in the head.

No other way to make that intake fit other than hollowing out the bolt holes. We'll see how it runs like that.

No other way to make that intake fit other than hollowing out the bolt holes. We'll see how it runs like that.

I understand you have to work the holes if the you are using an intake that doesn’t fit the one year only bolt pattern.

You need to find a way to look into the intake through the plenum and get a good look at how the floor of the intake matches up to the floor of the head.

From the picture you posted it appears that the intake is sitting too high. You can verify that by looking at it. If the port on the intake is high, you have to machine the intake manifold to correct the fit.

I understand you have to work the holes if the you are using an intake that doesn’t fit the one year only bolt pattern.

You need to find a way to look into the intake through the plenum and get a good look at how the floor of the intake matches up to the floor of the head.

From the picture you posted it appears that the intake is sitting too high. You can verify that by looking at it. If the port on the intake is high, you have to machine the intake manifold to correct the fit.
Copy that. I am using Edelbrock intake gaskets which are thicker than Fel-pro. Do you think a thinner gasket may be better?

Copy that. I am using Edelbrock intake gaskets which are thicker than Fel-pro. Do you think a thinner gasket may be better?

If the floor of the manifold port is higher than the floor of the port in the head, then yes, a thinner gasket can be used.

You shouldn’t use the bolts to force the ports to line up. They should line up when you set the intake on the heads.

If the floor of the manifold port is higher than the floor of the port in the head, then yes, a thinner gasket can be used.

You shouldn’t use the bolts to force the ports to line up. They should line up when you set the intake on the heads.

Yep that is why I hollowed them out so they line up when the intake sits down

-
Back