V8 273 head question

-
Rock Auto won't let me order rhise heads because the VIN doesn't match. I suppose I could call them and argue but shipped to me including core charges is about $600. That's a lot of money to spend with out a warranty. Do any 302 heads work? I can find late 90s Chrysler Lebaron 302 heads all over the place. Rebuilt and ready to go.

I'm in Vegas. Are they used? What shape are they in? How much to ship? Zip is 89117

yep, they’re used, and still on a 66 motor I have sitting in my shop. I’ll weigh one and get a shipping quote for you, I’m sure it’s not going to be cheap.

yep, they’re used, and still on a 66 motor I have sitting in my shop. I’ll weigh one and get a shipping quote for you, I’m sure it’s not going to be cheap.
Don't worry. I'm going to go with some new 318 heads locally. Thanks

If it were me, I would just buy a new Edelbrock Performer intake, and use the washers that @66fs listed above. If your existing heads are ok.....no need spending money to replace them. The intake bolt size and angle difference really isn't as scary a monster as it first appears. :)

If it were me, I would just buy a new Edelbrock Performer intake, and use the washers that @66fs listed above. If your existing heads are ok.....no need spending money to replace them. The intake bolt size and angle difference really isn't as scary a monster as it first appears. :)

Edelbrock doesn't make an intake for the 273 anymore. I tried one and the ports did not match. I would need to find early LA intake like Offenhauser or D4B and they r hard to find

OK here is my dilemma. I have an early 65 Dart and swapping over to 4 barrell carb. I'm having a difficult time finding the correct manifold due to the weird bolt angle. What choices do I have in newer heads? I don't want to change the cam and want to keep the internals stock.

Thanks for your help.

Put some 66 or 67 273/318 heads on it... They are still closed chamber and won't decrease your compression, and will have the 'new' bolt diameter and angle where you can use any "LA" engine intake and not the special 64 - 65 intakes which are fewer and farther between....

Also be sure to replace the timing chain with a double roller... The stock 273/318 timing chains are junk and stretch too easy and may jump a tooth...

Last edited:
Put some 66 or 67 273/318 heads on it... They are still closed chamber and will have the 'new' bolt diameter and angle where you can use any "LA" engine intake and not the special 64 - 65 intakes which are fewer and farther between....

Also be sure to replace the timing chain with a double roller... The stock 273/318 timing chains are junk and stretch too easy and may jump a tooth...

Why not the later 302 318 heads?

Why not the later 302 318 heads?

302 heads are ok, but there are some out there with cracks... Make sure if you get them that they have been checked...

The early 273/318 heads do not have a known cracking issue...

I put a set of 67 273/318 "920' heads on a 72 318 to help increase the compression about a half point... I had my head guy port them, install hardened seats, then install 360 valves in them 1.88" intakes and 1.60" exhaust... He claims they will flow as well as a stock 360 head or better....

302 heads are ok, but there are some out there with cracks... Make sure if you get them that they have been checked...

I put a set of 67 273/318 "920' heads on a 72 318 to help increase the compression about a half point... I had my head guy port them, install hardened seats, then install 360 valves in them 1.88" intakes and 1.60" exhaust... He claims they will flow as well as a stock 360 head or better....
That's good. But I don't have a 318 in my Dart. So building that head for me would be a waste of time. I'm torn between a 302 318 head or stock 66 273 head.

That's good. But I don't have a 318 in my Dart. .

No, but a 318 head will have the same effect on a 273 as it does on a 318...

the 66 - 67 273/318 head will keep your compression closer to factory specs than if you put an open chamber head on it... If you put an open chamber 273/318 head on your 65 273, you will drop compression about half a point because of the larger combustion chambers.... If you put a 66 - 67 273/318 head on the 65 273, the compression will be close or the same as it was from the factory...

No, but a 318 head will have the same effect on a 273 as it does on a 318...

the 66 - 67 273/318 head will keep your compression closer to factory specs than if you put an open chamber head on it... If you put an open chamber 273/318 head on your 65 273, you will drop compression about half a point because of the larger combustion chambers.... If you put a 66 - 67 273/318 head on the 65 273, the compression will be close or the same as it was from the factory...
Will the edelbrock performer fit on later 273 heads? Its runners didn't line up with my 65 heads.

It should... I believe the performer has the smaller ports and should bolt right on....

I just went to the basement, and checked the ports on an Edelbrock D4B, Weiand 8007, and an Edelbrock Performer (NOT a Performer RPM) and they were all within maybe 1/32nd of an inch of being the exact same size. I think the OP might have checked an RPM version.

Rock Auto won't let me order rhise heads because the VIN doesn't match. I suppose I could call them and argue but shipped to me including core charges is about $600. That's a lot of money to spend with out a warranty. Do any 302 heads work? I can find late 90s Chrysler Lebaron 302 heads all over the place. Rebuilt and ready to go.
Rebuilt 302 casting heads available through Rockauto post 37
$600 isn't a bad price for something to bolt on bad go. Used heads are $100 each. Shipping is probably another $100. Then have them rebuilt. Still no guarantee.

Last edited:
That's good. But I don't have a 318 in my Dart. So building that head for me would be a waste of time. I'm torn between a 302 318 head or stock 66 273 head.

An FYI about 302 heads and stock factory exhaust manifold on drivers side; the manifold will not lay flat due to shape of head and manifold where it; the manifold; drops down. You can check this when you have the head and manifold on the bench before you install the head. You can grind the bump down for clearance just don't go nuts, you can strike water and then it's game over.

What cam?

Edelbrock doesn't make an intake for the 273 anymore...

318 intakes and 273 intakes are the same. The only difference is the angle of the bolts and the size of the bolts on early 273's. 64 and 65 273 intake bolts are 5/16 and the angled washers get you where you need to be and cover the larger hole for the newer 3/8 intake bolts.

... I would need to find early LA intake like Offenhauser or D4B and they r hard to find

The Offenhauser intake that SGBarracuda has should have the correct bolt angle. You just need a hardened washer so the 5/16 bolt heads work right since someone opened up the bolt holes. Offenhauser is the better intake, if you can't find or afford a D4B. No need to change heads. 273 heads flow better than 318 heads.

318 intakes and 273 intakes are the same. The only difference is the angle of the bolts and the size of the bolts on early 273's. 64 and 65 273 intake bolts are 5/16 and the angled washers get you where you need to be and cover the larger hole for the newer 3/8 intake bolts.

Which Edelbrock do you recommend? I have a 2176 and the middle runners weren't even close to matching on my 273

228/226 at .050", .430/.430 lift, intake centerline 108, exhaust centerline 112, lobe separation 110

Which Edelbrock do you recommend? I have a 2176 and the middle runners weren't even close to matching on my 273
As you know that intake won't bolt to your 65 heads without modifications to the bolt holes. The will be a mis-match in port size but it will still work as a intake. Unless you are building a high performance engine where you are looking for every last horsepower, your 273 will never know there is a port mis-match.

Are you talking about the heat crossover in the middle? 2176 should work. I have used 273 intakes on 318's and 318 aftermarket intakes on 273's. Never a problem. Do you have to use a 1/2 inch wrench on the 273 intake bolts?

-
Back