venturing to the other side. Need Suggestions

-

PA Dodger

Reaction score
Long story short- My dad and brother were restoring a '67 Mustang. My brother isn't really mechanically inclined and as my dad's health deteriorated he wasn't able to finish up a bunch of things on the 'Stang. After my dad lost the battle with cancer a few years ago, the car has been sitting. We are going to spend the winter finishing the Mustang. This thing mainly needs mechanical and electrical work. I really need to find a good classic Mustang forum, sorta like "For Mustang Bodies Only". I don't want to search through all the new Mustang info and I don't want to deal with a site with a bunch "better-than-yous". Does anyone here belong to a good Mustang forum too?

PM Rustyratrod. He's not stuck in Mopar like allot of us are. A very knowledgeable mechanic. I think a factory manual, a Chilton's manual, and a Haynes would 95% guide you thru anything you attempt. There are LOTS of books dedicated to Mustangs, ford engines, etc.-to include the restoration of and parts interchange. If you dump 50 questions on him, it would be prudent to make it worth his while in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as checking the service manual. The engine wasn't available in '67 so there is some swap issues to work out.

Good luck with it Dan! I've only worked on a few, and that was many years ago, but at least they are fairly simple cars and just about everything is available for them. Not sure how far along things are with it, but my recall tells me the most confusing stuff was on the engine/trans/converter swaps with the oddball balancing. Something like 28 oz, 50 oz, 0 oz ... :D

I've been restoring and modifying all makes of cars for a long time including mustangs. I have a modified 65 coupe. I love all things cars. My favorite is of course mopars. But, I've built a little of everything. Mine has a 88 GT roller motor, with ported GT40 heads and a trick flow cam. I put a carb on it. As you can see I painted it like a mopar including the engine compartment.It is a work in progress. Anyway, I don't belong to any forums, besides this one. But, if I can help answer any questions, please feel free to PM me. I'm a little slow to answer because I stay pretty busy in the shop. But, I would be happy to help. Shane

Attachments

• 2011-04-13_20-14-34_638.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 238
  • 2011-04-13_20-13-01_648.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 228
so now you want to know if schumacher makes conversion mount to drop a slant 6 in there?

Catch up with Jeff Ford (no Really that's is name) look him up on the Internet FB, YouTube, etc... Under, Autorestomod

Great guy and knows his Fords.

P.S. My condolences go out to you for the loss of your Father.

Thanks. We had a few good years after his cancer diagnosis but it was still tough to deal with.

my recall tells me the most confusing stuff was on the engine/trans/converter swaps with the oddball balancing. Something like 28 oz, 50 oz, 0 oz ... :D
This is what I'm running into doing some research. Different flex plate sizes and many balance options.

The engine is a 351W out of a later model, mid 80s wagon. Right now it has the original 4 speed that was behind the 289. They were never able to get the 4 speed shifting right. The clutch is at the floor to get it to shift and all the linkage adjustment is used up. He wants to just drop in a C4 and be done with it. He's as stubborn as me so talking him out of the swap is futile.

OMG! they are among us! Run for your lives! Be gone with your wickedness! LOL!

Lol! When the brand x becomes to much this is where I get my mopar fix:glasses7:

Attachments

• 2011-06-02_14-31-06_434.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 2011-06-02_14-30-20_382.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 169
Anything to make the job easier. I don't even know if my wrenches and sockets will even fit a Ford!!!:D

not sure if i should admit to this but when i bought my duster i found out that the only thing standard in my toolchest was my crescent wrench, everything else is metric

its a good thing Christmas is just around the corner :D

I've been restoring and modifying all makes of cars for a long time including mustangs. I have a modified 65 coupe. I love all things cars. My favorite is of course mopars. But, I've built a little of everything. Mine has a 88 GT roller motor, with ported GT40 heads and a trick flow cam. I put a carb on it. As you can see I painted it like a mopar including the engine compartment.It is a work in progress. Anyway, I don't belong to any forums, besides this one. But, if I can help answer any questions, please feel free to PM me. I'm a little slow to answer because I stay pretty busy in the shop. But, I would be happy to help. Shane

That car, is bitchin'!. The later model 5.0 roller swap opens engine options big time for smaller fords. Roller cams, options of good factory based F.I and good aftermarket parts following.Hell of a option, for low buck hot rodders.

Thanks for the compliment abodybomber! As a street racer we have to recognize the potential in any brand. Now it's a business. :D

I had a 67 Mustang, Coupe, 289 auto. Nothing very fancy, but what a cool ride. IMO the 67 body was the peak of design for the early Mustangs. Congrats, on the purchase.

I swapped in an 86 351w in a 68 once and used the original c4. never could find a flywheel that would fit the convertor and have the right balance. finally just kept the 289 flywheel and welded a 28 oz. weight on it. just make sure it's in the right place. also, if you do use a c4, make sure it's from a floor shift, cause the shifting is backwards on the collum shifts. dave.

Good info. My neighbor has a 1967 ford custom 500 2dr ex police car. It came with a 390 auto and he bought a 351C. He found out after that his transmission won't work. He has the correct trans now. As soon as he has the funds its going to be put together. (his car has been 3 generations)

Sorry for your loss

I swapped in an 86 351w in a 68 once and used the original c4. never could find a flywheel that would fit the convertor and have the right balance. finally just kept the 289 flywheel and welded a 28 oz. weight on it. just make sure it's in the right place. also, if you do use a c4, make sure it's from a floor shift, cause the shifting is backwards on the collum shifts. dave.

This is the kinda info I will be lost without. Imagine my surprise when we get the car done and it shifts Bass Ackwards.

Sorry to see you "change teams".... LOL!

Every once in a while we all stray. This will be my first experience into the screwed up world of all things Ford. Once spring is here the Rustang will be evicted/eradicated. I can't explain how odd it is to see a classic Mustang sitting in a garage that is all decked out in all things Mopar.

-
Back