very mild 360 build.

-
If I wanted something that mild, I'd just build a stone stock 360. Put a good timing set in it and degree the cam, mill the heads to get compression up around 9:1, put a good loose ignition curve in it and call it done. Tire melter.
Exactly. Simple plan, always easy on the pockets with good results.
i had a 360 the previous owner had built to mimic the little red express engine. same cam,wind age tray etc. it ran well enough in my 74 dart to win a bunch of street races but was mild enough my wife delivered pizza with it. That may be the sort of build you are looking for.
Exactly
yea the EH1 motor. my old lil red ran nice.. truck dipped into the high 14's. probably move the dart along pretty damn good. i do have a mp 340 cam new in the box here..

I like everyone’s ideas. The OEM cam will have a high vacuum for power brakes but the lower the number on the LSA can tend to reduce vacuum a bit that may not be a thing you like.

Since the KB-107’s will be used, on a OEM deck height, there below deck just a pinch. If they end up at zero deck, with a .039 gasket and a possible 72cc chamber, that’s 9.8-1. Think here!

For a true driver, 8-8.5-1 is great and 9.0-1 should be just fine though I’d keep it a garish low not knowing the exact cam. That’s just me.

Mimicking the LRE engine is a good idea. IIRC, it’s about the same as the passenger car engines that had the HP option. I took one apart and it had the windage tray, double roller timing chain. I couldn’t identify the cam for sure but since the stock timing chain was in there, I’ll have to assume the cam was the stock one which is the same cam and he used in the 340’s.

Joe, IF he was doing this for myself, was Indo nothing more than a stock parts rebuild with the KB-107’s since they’re up for use and a good valve job to keep it inexpensive. Exhaust as you see fit.

What is the plan for intake and carb? What you already have in use? Please list the Hughes cam specs.

What is the plan for intake and carb? What you already have in use? Please list the Hughes cam specs.

intake is a performer rpm NON-air gap. i actually used it on this stock motor when it was in my yellow car, its currently on the running dart now..

carb, i can use anything from a holley 600 to a 650 dp to a 750 dp to a 780 vac secondary. have them all laying around..

the cam i have:

1710172156518.png

this is the MP cam i have. when i originally asked most recommended the hughes cam. couple friends i trust also recommended the hughes cam...

like i sais though, i'm not against buying a com if there is a better one to use.. these are what i have gathered over the years new in the box.

mp cam.JPG

Since the KB-107’s will be used, on a OEM deck height, there below deck just a pinch. If they end up at zero deck, with a .039 gasket and a possible 72cc chamber, that’s 9.8-1. Think here!

they will only be used if the block needs to be bored. picked them up a while ago just to have on th eshelf. they are 30 over pistons

Thanks Joe. That Hughes cam will work very well with the intended purpose of the build and those gears. I have used a very similar Crane cam in the past w/3.23’s and stock tires. The Crane was a 272/284-216/228-.454/.480-112, trans was a standard 904 w/a stock converter. This can propel your Dart into the 14’s, o problem. In my Duster, w/stock sized tires, traction @ Atco was limited. It produced power to 5500 rpm. You could feel it giving up afterwards.

I ran it in a 318 Duster last time I used it and a terrible low 15 was all I could muster though through the traps I managed 101 mph.

Roger on the pistons!

mini vans will walk me...lol
IMO, the mini van is the greatest vehicle in the world that was ever made lacking in 2 of the most important area.

1; Never enough power

2; Never to be a good looking & a cool ride you want to be seen in.

I build them to be a boot or fast. But my daily driver old car, they just have to have the ability of decent mileage and the power to get on the interstate and pass n the interstate very well and be dead reliable. Nothing fancy. Small cams work well.

The lift on that Hughes cams is perfect for a good valve job and/or a bowl porting of the wallet or desire is there.

was just having this convo about minivans I said "yeah but they aren't any fun to drive..." minivans will get ya on the top end on the highway 0-60 is fun in a street car. My 2.73 geared 5 speed fox mustang can hang with 'em in the top end though I play around on the highway with minivan racing women all the time in my stock 86 5.0 Fox.

intake is a performer rpm NON-air gap. i actually used it on this stock motor when it was in my yellow car, its currently on the running dart now..

carb, i can use anything from a holley 600 to a 650 dp to a 750 dp to a 780 vac secondary. have them all laying around..

the cam i have:

View attachment 1716220102
That will have a noticeable idle.

this is the MP cam i have. when i originally asked most recommended the hughes cam. couple friends i trust also recommended the hughes cam...

like i sais though, i'm not against buying a com if there is a better one to use.. these are what i have gathered over the years new in the box.

View attachment 1716220104
That's what I would use.

I just have a question, will the Hughes cam have good torque? Thanks
Where ? (Rpm)

Peak ?

Under peak ? which people usually mean when saying torque engine.

Or above peak? Which people generally call an HP engine.

The reason I would use the MP 340 cam is simple. It will require less spring pressure. You can run the stock 340 spring. That Hughes will require a good bit more spring. Certainly not the stock 340 spring and would be on the fringes of what the Comp 901 could handle.

Last edited:
Off idle to like 4500 rpm's
Probably gains everywhere above 2500 rpm's at least.
And probably similar or at least no major hit under 2500 rpm.

Under 2500 rpm you usually don't spend much time at full throttle so generally only using a fraction of the power available down there anyways.

ok, engine is apart. barely any ridge, bores look good, bearings look great, crank looks good. front and rear cam bearings don't look good but other then that its good. head over tomorrow and start measuring things. then start cleaning things and ordering parts to put it together.

i'm not in love with either cam, but the hughes would probably be my choice. the MP cam is okay, i guess. but like RRR said, a lot less fuss to set up and run.

personally i think there's better options out there, but if you don't want to drop the coin either would be a perfectly good one to run.

i'm not in love with either cam, but the hughes would probably be my choice. the MP cam is okay, i guess. but like RRR said, a lot less fuss to set up and run.

personally i think there's better options out there, but if you don't want to drop the coin either would be a perfectly good one to run.

I've said numerous times I'm not opposed to buying a cam kit.

Comp 260H works well with the OEM dished pistons. That camshaft builds a ton of torque. The other option is the M/P P4452757AE camshaft. Both cams are ground on 110 lsa. The patterns are easy enough to duplicate. Delta Cams or Or. Cams will regrinding your OEM core. Having run them both, they are power break and stock converter friendly.

Unless you going with a cam vastly different then you got see no point buying another cam, your building a mild engine you got two mild cams don't see much gain a 3rd would offer.

think i'm going with the hughes. a good friend that i trust and has helped me pick components out for years says it will make good tq and work very well with manifolds and all.. he sais not to worry about that lift. it will be fine.

plus i've known him for 30+ years. he knows what i want from the car, je has been doing my transmissions forever too..

Last edited:
I seem to remember a picture of the yellow Dart with daylight under the front tires.

-
Back