Veterans On the Board

-
How about we see how many Vets we have.
List your branch and years in, also if you served overseas. Middle East, Europe, South America don't matter. Let's recognize everybody.
USAF 1966-1974. Amarillo AFB, Chanute AFB, Hickam AFB, Rhein -Main AB, Castle AFB, Lockbourne AFB, Keflavik AS.

U.S. Navy Seabees 1968-1972 , MCB6 & MCB62. Deployed to Vietnam 69-70. Although I was a fleet rate, HT2, I spent my entire four years with the Seabees.
IMAG0005.jpg

US Army Signal Corps. 1973-1994 all active.
Nov 1973 Basic Ft Ord, first Advance school (AIT) 36K wire and radio, 2nd AIT Ft Gordon for 36C Cable. 3rd was 36D Antenna/Tower installer.

1974 First assignment was Ft Lewis as tactical Cable.

1975 Then Heidelberg Germany for 1 year. Post telephone installer.

Then Ft Ord doing tactical cable for 6 months till I did a swap to Ft Lewis as a Post Telephone installer 3.5 years.

1979 Next was Stuttgart Germany. Post Telephone and Data.

1983 Went to Fort Jackson, S.C. for Drill Instructor course and back to Ft Gordon as Tactical Signal Operations for Signal Officers Basic training and did 2 years as AIT and then the Reserve Component Drill Instructor.

1986 Returned to Kaiserslautern Germany for 4 years. Digital Switching Systems.

Back to Ft Lewis for 2 years, Yakima Training Center Communications Commander.

1993 I went to Seoul Korea in Communications Operations, Post telephones, American Forces Koren Network TV and such.

Returned to Ft Lewis for my last 6 months for retirement. All just short of 21 years.

This training gave me the opportunity to get a job with GTE Communications at a very good living wage. Put in 18 years and retired in 2015.

Last edited:
US Navy … 75 to 81 … Navy Nuke Electrician on board a Fast Attack Sub from 12 / 76 to 12 / 80 down in Tidewater. It was the peak of the cold war and I got to the boat shortly after Carter was elected. Since he was not too strong the Soviets really lit things up during my time on board. In calendar year 77 we were away from Tidewater for well over 300 out of 365 days and most of it was under. SSN stood for "Saturdays, Sundays, and Nights" !! My sincere thanks to all who served. Bob

Retired USAF 20 years and 12 days! Basic Training in 82 fresh out of high school. 462 Weapons troop, backshop & flightline loader mixed. Moody AFB GA 83-87 F-4E's, Andersen AFB Guam 87-91 B-52's, Eielson AFB AK 91-98 F-16's & A-10's, Elmendorf AFB AK 98-02 F-15C Air to Air. Many deployments all over the world; Denmark, Korea, Saudi, Turkey, and a bunch of stateside bases thrown in for good measure. Proud to serve along side you all.

US Air Force 85-88
Basic; Lackland AFB, TX
Tech Training; Sheppard AFB, TX Tactical Aircraft Maintenance
Assigned; Eglin AFB,FL 33rd TAC AeroRepair specializing in Flight Controls, Landing Gear and Canopy on F-15 A,B,C and D models

Last edited:
15 years US Army, 15 Years USAF. Vietnam, Germany, Panama, Colombia, Honduras. 5th Special Forces Group, 12th Special Forces Group, USAF Special Operations. (Proud to be part of this group - never expected so many veterans and gray beards! I've been a MOPAR head since 1957. )

15 years US Army, 15 Years USAF. Vietnam, Germany, Panama, Colombia, Honduras. 5th Special Forces Group, 12th Special Forces Group, USAF Special Operations. (Proud to be part of this group - never expected so many veterans and gray beards! I've been a MOPAR head since 1957. )
15 YEARS Army and USAF ? WOW … and Welcome. Bob

USMC MSgt retired. 21 years 89-10. I was in Tanks, M1A1’s. Desert Storm, Iraq 3 tours. And all over the world. Best job I ever had and would do it all over again.

I don’t miss the circus but I sure do miss the clowns.

USN AE2 87-91,USS Midway CV41 AIMD, Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Best of times traveling the world with great people.

US Army 89-92 MOS 77F1P, Ft.Bragg, NC. Air National Guard/Air Force Reserve/Air National Guard 2000-present. Current AFSC 1A171 (C-130 Flight Engineer), previous 2A571 (C130 Crew Chief). Writing this from a hotel room in Scotland on the way home from 5th deployment to OEF/OIF.
Herk FE and crew chief, so cool! How many times did I hear "NTS-ing all four" from you guys. Or maybe "go mechanical" if the prop wasn't running right. Hope you enjoyed Scotland and thanks for deploying (again) from all of us!

Last edited:
US Air Force 85-88
Basic; Lackland AFB, TX
Tech Training; Sheppard AFB, TX Tactical Aircraft Maintenance
Assigned; Eglin AFB,FL 33rd TAC AeroRepair specializing in Flight Controls, Landing Gear and Canopy on F-15 A,B,C and D models
I don't remember that particular AFSC? Was that a specialized Crew Chief (tire kicker)? :) I guess then I was a Tactical Weapons Loader!! 82-2002 Load Toad...

AFSC codes changed 3 times during My years...
Same thing with US Army MOS's.
Army was 31 for most Communications, same as the Air Force.

I started in 1973 as 36C Cable and 72E Switchboard. Then it went to 31L cable and 36M Switchboard. Then I went 31F Switchboard. Same basic job, just a change in MOS names.

I went to Sheppard AFB in 1979 for Advanced Telephone Equipment Installer course as an Army E5 Sergent and had a lot of Air Force E4 Sergent's try to pull rank on me until it was explained that I was an E5. I ran 3 teams of 5 each Airmen in downtown Wichita Falls removing busted telephone lines from houses and business's that were destroyed in the "Terrible Tuesday"* tornado. We cleared the streets of dangling wires so the local telephone company could work other areas more important. Each day the Air Force Sgt's were different and they did not want to take orders from another Sgt, much less than an Army Sgt. Quick flash of the ID card... Mine said E5/SGT ;)

*The 1979 Red River Valley tornado outbreak was a tornado event that occurred on April 10, 1979, near the Red River Valley. It is noted for the F4 tornado that hit Wichita Falls, Texas going 1 mile wide through the city. Also hit Vernon TX and Lawton OK killing around 58 people.

Last edited:
Same thing with US Army MOS's.
Army was 31 for most Communications, same as the Air Force.

I started in 1973 as 36C Cable and 72E Switchboard. Then it went to 31L cable and 36M Switchboard. Then I went 31F Switchboard. Same basic job, just a change in MOS names.

I went to Sheppard AFB in 1979 for Advanced Telephone Equipment Installer course as an Army E5 Sergent and had a lot of Air Force E4 Sergent's try to pull rank on me until it was explained that I was an E5. I ran 3 teams of 5 each Airmen in downtown Wichita Falls removing busted telephone lines from houses and business's that were destroyed in the "Terrible Tuesday"* tornado. We cleared the streets of dangling wires so the local telephone company could work other areas more important. Each day the Air Force Sgt's were different and they did not want to take orders from another Sgt, much less than an Army Sgt. Quick flash of the ID card... Mine said E5/SGT ;)

*The 1979 Red River Valley tornado outbreak was a tornado event that occurred on April 10, 1979, near the Red River Valley. It is noted for the F4 tornado that hit Wichita Falls, Texas going 1 mile wide through the city. Also hit Vernon TX and Lawton OK killing around 58 people.
At Ft Bliss TX in 74-75 I was a hard stripe E-5. Which I guess was rare. Spec 5s were ordering AJ Sargents(temporary acting Sargent but still an E-4) around left and right. Until one of them thinking I was an AJ tried ordering me around in my maintenance shop. I was NCOIC. After I got done educating him on the differant ranks in the Army he went to my Lieutenant. My Lieutenant backed me and further educated him and a couple of others. Lol.

-
Back