Viper motor in a A body...

-

nemesis

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has put in a 8.0L v10 viper motor in a A body...

An if so,what modifications needed to be done?
As in if the firewall had to be cut etc...

Im from australia,an have a valiant charger,an my mechanic told me
to ask here because my car has the same room in the engine bay as
american A bodies.
I came across a good deal for a v10 so i thought id ask here for any
heads up before i undertake an engine swap like this...

Its my first post, dont flame my sorry arse just yet lol

I hope everyones well:-D

welcome to the site and stick around. we have a few members with australian cars so i know we can be of some help.

i have been kicking around the idea of doin the v10 in a future project so i will keep an eye on this thread. i have not seen it but there is a lot of talent here so i know someone has looked into it lol. what tranny are you thinking of runing with the v10?

Preferably a manual.
I thought all v10's were until i realised the ram utes come in auto....
Thanks...

I might put pics up of the old girl but shes not all impressive, good
from far,far from good haha...
Shes photogenic tho thank god.

lol ya we love pics:) even ones with character:) thats what i was wanting to do. viper engine, tranny and rear end lol. big task but i think it could work out sweet:)

What did you want to put it in?

Rear end....
What IS a viper rear end?
A dana44 or something?
I have no idea...

But i dont hear of viper running gear breaking often,so
its gotta be good.

of what i have seen its independant suspension. so the pumpkin is solid mounted and it has front wheel drive style axels. it would take some pretty good engineering and fab work but i can guarantee you wont seen it done to much lol. i have the whole car planned out except for the front suspension cuz just doing an alterk or tubular everything in the front seems like not hitech enough lol. i want it to be crazy sweet and one of a kind. i want to do it all to a 68 dart (maby rhd)

is there a motor in your car?

Oh ok...

Oh yeh!
My charger was my daily for 2 years!
An now been a weekend or nice day car for 3 years.
Its got a thrashed 318 in it lol
Its a 4spd with 3.23 gears in the rear.
Used to go harder with the older cam in it an have no idea
wtf it was but used to go better an spin harder than what it does now.
Stock as rock with truck compression an a 474 lift stick in it,
holley red fuel pump an 650 double pumper,an offy manifold thats junk,
some average headers an a 2 inch single exhaust system.
Best time i done in it was 14.5 at 93 mph.

In a back issue of Mopar Action there was a story and photos of how a fellow put the whole Viper chassis under a Cuda'. I took measurements from a Viper and my 69 Valiant and realized this was doable. The width is fine but the Viper chassis needs several inches cut out of it to fit the A body. Then remove the whole floor pan, slide the Viper chassis under the car and attach the body. In the article the guy even shortened up the Viper dash and put it in, most cool!

It would be cool to put a viper drivetrain in an A body. It would be a lot of work and mony but the end result would be worth it. Good luck.

Welcome to FABO!

That engine is VERY long. it would be like adding an extra cylinder on each side to a 360 (which is essentially what it is). I think you'd have issues with getting a radiator and fan in it, not to mention the exhaust.

here is few bad quality pics; truckmodel v10 on swinger 1970, in Finland :D

Img_0136.jpg

Img_0157.jpg

Any info on how he got it in there etc?

I might have to go get the good old measuring tape out an take it from
there *sigh*

Man I want to do this sold bad, sorry to bring the old post up... but the swinger is rockin!!!

I've seen one in a 70s challenger and a late 60s charger. The challenger was a tight fit charger had more room. Been years since i saw them at a local car show.

If it would fit, it would probably be as cheap as a hemi swap...

I bet it would be cheaper than a big hemi... I may try to get some measurements and check into it... why not....

hey ya there humm your mechanic should stay away from your car , yes we have A-body's in Australia but after VE there 2" inches longer in the engine bay to accommodate the hemi6 , on the VF that had a slant you can see in the radiator support how it comes out an extra 2 inches to the fan can reach , i think were lucky to have the longer front end make putting a 5 cylinder in length would give us heaps of room as the accessories on the front of the engine would bring it close the the hemi6 length :)

I was wondering if anyone has put in a 8.0L v10 viper motor in a A body...

An if so,what modifications needed to be done?
As in if the firewall had to be cut etc...

Im from australia,an have a valiant charger,an my mechanic told me
to ask here because my car has the same room in the engine bay as
american A bodies.
I came across a good deal for a v10 so i thought id ask here for any
heads up before i undertake an engine swap like this...

Its my first post, dont flame my sorry arse just yet lol

I hope everyones well:-D

well, the viper and truck v10's are based on the smallblock architecture, just with two cylinders added, so I'd expect it would fit the same laterally. The length is of course different, but if muncher's info is sound, it would probably fit in your car without trouble. I'm not familiar with the hemi six, but I'd be wiling to wager in an american a body there'd not be much room ahead of the engine, may even have to run a pusher fan to make it fit with accessories.

Don't know about bolt patterns and whatnot, but I'd speculate it's the same as the smallblock too. Unless Mopar changed it just to be mean... :cwm21:

Easier to do when your car is cut to shreds... I'm still going into the firewall another couple inches. Will wait to determine how far until I have my mock-up vintage air unit. With the Gen 1/2 engine, expect the oil pan to cause problems, the Gen 3/4 motors can use the SRT truck pan which is a rear sump. The Gen 2 has the sump built into the pan, not sure about the Gen 1.

file-120.jpg

-
Back