What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Which one---on the Barracuda I buttoned it up and put the car cover on it and called the auto transport vehicle to take it to the muffler shop for complete exhaust sytem so I can get it home and start the engine for the first time------------which includes powering up the electrical system for the first time as well. What could possibly go wrong?????
DR---------Cheers to all!

On the other one, (65 Comet) I blew the dash apart to fix a faulty speedometer and discovered the speedometer cable was faulted and destroyed at the inlet to the transmission. I was prepared with a re-pop replacement and changed it out after McGyvering the existing speedometer gear to the new cable and routing it properly with no bends or kinks, Still a hell of an ordeal! Then I installed the new 8MM racing ignition wires I have had on the shelf for two years and fitted them all up and loomed them properly. After changing the oil, I took it for a test run and the new speedo setup worked flawlessly, car ran like a rocket and the air and cruise worked well too. Now the Comet is my daily driver for the rest of the summer.
Cheers to all------------Rat.
BTW, it was a REALLY LONG weekend---I am tired!

Went to a local all brand car show today. The 70 and newer is a tough class with a 70 Hemi Challenger leading the pac and a newly remodeled 71 Charger getting second. I brought home a 4 th. place trophy and feeling pretty good.

2694.jpg
2690.jpg
2693.jpg
13532938_1196661703691020_8664144222507850243_n.jpg
Here's a few pics:

2693.jpg

13532938_1196661703691020_8664144222507850243_n.jpg

Which one---on the Barracuda I buttoned it up and put the car cover on it and called the auto transport vehicle to take it to the muffler shop for complete exhaust sytem so I can get it home and start the engine for the first time------------which includes powering up the electrical system for the first time as well. What could possibly go wrong?????
DR---------Cheers to all!

LOL....I'm in the same boat....I'll be starting my Barracuda for the first time with all new harnesses...Hope I got everything right!

Jeff

I wired up a painless harness in a 1960 el camino i used to own, and wired up one in a 1963 dodge town panel. These were cut to fit setups, it was recomnended to wire up one circuit at a time, and then to power up the electrical system to test that one circuit, then disconnect the battery, and work on the next circuit. I think that because our cars have factory type electrical harnesses available for plug n play and its not custom like the painless setup w GM color coding things are easier. That being said , i have modded my 67 cuda wiring harnesses as well. I did the ammeter dewiring mod, larger alternator to battery feed/return wire, and a few other things, along with cutting and soldering in all new packard 56 pins at the bulkhead connector. I wish y'all the best of luck powering up. I will be doing the same in a few years on mine.

Last edited:
I pulled the timing cover and got this:

Chain over 3/4 inch play:

No holes in any thrust plate bolt, chain oiler rubbing because tab bent over and not in guide:

Normal wear on this side of pump eccentric:

Other side. Wear pattern twice as wide because tab not lined up and eccentric not sitting flat. Almost worn thru:

And pump arm almost worn thru.

0822161418a.jpg

0822161418a.jpg

0822161419a.jpg

0822161420.jpg

0822161421.jpg

0822161421a.jpg

0822161419.jpg

Since I got layed off on Friday I am gathering all the parts I'm going to need from the 2 67 Valiant's I parted out to get lots of misc parts ready to put this one together. I also evicted 5 mice from the shed for the 3rd time and hosed out my a/c box.

100.3.JPG

100.5.JPG

New Valiant 2.JPG

Just watching it rain on it and thinking to go up to Autozone and pick up some stuff anyway.:D

Covered the heck out of it with moving blankets.....getting a new roof on the house and I predict quite a mess in the garage. ...she can come back out on Sunday.

Jeff

Replaced my old shitty coil with a MSD Blaster SS (yes, I have the appropriate ballast in line with the other ballast still in place per the instructions).

Also replaced the open carb spacer/insulator with the divided edelbrock one.

Results of today's tinkering:
1) The car starts up right away, no cranking for a few seconds. I'm looking forwards to trying it out tomorrow morning when I go to work.
2) The car is a bit peppier. ;)
3) I tore my shirt on the hood, but thoroughly enjoyed myself.

IMG_20160823_170030.jpg
IMG_20160823_170053.jpg
IMG_20160823_170254.jpg

I moved my gauges up to where the old radio is supposed to be. It's long gone so why not place them there I though. The oil pressure gauge missed it's light so I took a diode and resistor from an old broken battery charger that I had in the garage. The sticker is temporary. I'm gonna make some sort of panel I can use without having to hack up the dash.

IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG

Took my 64 Dart GT out for a ride to second to last therapy for torn Quad muscle! Looks like I will have a couple of weeks without therapy, so maybe I can enjoy my newly rebuilt and installed 4-speed.
I cant wait till I can get a v8 or v6 to put in it!

not today - or yesterday even - but recently - put the "sharktooth" grill on it - got it "done" (well you know, they never really are) - got it inspected - got it on a dyno- 300 RWHP - discovered it has a 5k stall TC ---- took it to a "cars and coffee" last Sunday, got some great comments - "does that thing have a Hemi?", "wow, I think that's the nicest car here" and "holy $hyt, I just got goose-bumps" were my three favorite..
100_4018a.jpg

Finally got rest of the undercoat scraped off my inner fender shields, and dropped em in my rust removal solution.

Once they are thoroughly rust free, they will get a fresh coat of primer and black paint. I have a new seal kit, and a new bolt kit for them too.

20160831_193843.jpg

Last edited:
Ottmundr- did you have to cut your factory wiring to in stall that extra ballest

Ottmundr- did you have to cut your factory wiring to in stall that extra ballest
Nope, I installed it in series with the other ballast, I'll get some pics of it in a little bit. I did not even need to drill any holes, just used a pre-existing one from one of the windshield washer reservoir (which I threw out since it was dead and rotten like a 3 week old zombie).

If Merchants ever gets the tires done on the Durango, I'm going home to finish installing the new seats and carpet in the Fury....

-
Back