What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Saturday morning project. The inner fender braces on my Scamp are old and crusty, so I found some 3/8" aluminum flat bar and made new ones.

Saved a 1lb too! Whooo! haha

20230429-100119.jpg

20230429-101312.jpg

20230429-124100.jpg

Playing with the valiant, getting closer to setting the engine in and doing drive train .
Plymouth 1965 dark blue metallic.

Fixed the speedometer just now. The knurled nut at the dash end had unscrewed itself and the cable fell out. It's a pain on my car to get to, since the steering column has to be dropped a couple of inches in order to have enough room to pull the dash cluster out.

Also I warmed it up and tweaked the idle mixture (ended up about 1/4 turn further out on all four) and just an RCH on the secondary idle stop. Seems to like that now, but it's a fine line between getting into the advance with too much rpm, and dying because there isn't enough vacuum signal through the carb when too slow... :realcrazy: Big cams are tricky to tune for street use!

Finally I load-checked the battery with one of those broiler-element testers. It's showing as "weak" for a 750CCA, 1000CA battery. I don't like how far the voltage drops when the first couple cylinders go over compression, either. That battery was made 3/20 according to the round sticker - so that's only three years. Car batteries just do not last like they used to...

My 78 year old sister in law arrived today from Colorado. She asked me if I could get her a bag of ice from Sonic Drive-in. Yeah, that's what I said...ice from Sonic? Apparently it's a thing.

Anyway, we also needed dog food so I drove my Barracuda to Walmart for dog food and Sonic for a bag of ice. Took the long way there and the long way home!

No pics today, but yesterday the wife and I took our glass recyclables to the city glass dumpster.
20230425_191529.jpg

Time to redo the Sharktooth and paint it with the correct black and silver. I also had to plastic weld one broken tab. Next comes a weeks worth of taping!

IMG_4252.jpg

I installing cat whiskers bottom window weather strip, they fit nice. 3 windows done 1 to go.hardest part is getting old coroded clips out peatrating oil helps

20230324_031022.jpg

This weekend? Put in another exhaust hanger, and that managed to get rid of a rattling sound that would surface when stopped but not moving. Next, need to locate where that gas smell is coming from and make sure I'm not leaking fuel.

Cleaned the car, applied the bumble bee decals, adjusted the valves, changed the plugs, tried tuning the carb but decided it is junk so I took it off and installed a 750 Race Demon.... Tomorrow I will install the new exhaust.

tempImageZpXlus.png

tempImageXz8KXf.png

Last edited:
I've been deeply engaged in refurbishing the heater/AC box. Lots of pieces to lose, forget, break off, whatever. But I took lots of photos and taking it slow.

Fiberglass box is broken in a few places, but JB Weld weld stick fixes a lot of things. I molded it in and then came back with the drimmel and shaped it up and cut out for the latch clips.

20230510_161804.jpg

20230510_161723.jpg

20230510_161729.jpg

-
Back