What did I do? Help?

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
OK, I decided I would change my limiter plate setting on Dizzy. I've been running on #16 setting so my timing was 18 Initial, 16 Mechanical total 34. My motor wants more initial. Changed setting to 12. Making 22 initial.12 mechanical, 34 total. I Pulled Dizzy at TDC rotor pointing at #1 on cap. Installed the same. Car barely starts sounds like dieseling. Crank timing (way too much) to smooth out. Put timing light on, Vac disconnected and plugged. Timing is like 50' ATD not BTDC??? Pulled dizzy twice. Checked plate position, Weights are free and lubed, springs are properly in place, rotor reluctor correct as the pin stayed in place on reluctor and only one hole to install to. Re checked gap .008 brass feeler gauge on pick up. Snap ring in shaft in place. Still the same result. Checked timing with 2 good timing lights. One old school and one snap on with dial. Never ever encountered this. All I can think of is Reverse polarity with phasing but I did not change dizzy connection with factory plugs. I can try to switch them but can't understand why I would have to. I took dizzy out and left limiter plate out this time with same issue. I cranked timing until idle stopped rising and pulled back a little. I took the car out with Vac still disconnected and she runs awesome but can't drive like this without know where I'm at. Hoping it's something simple as I am baffled. Also I did the piston stop and crank pulley is spot on.

Last edited:
Has to be something simple and the way you put it back together each time duplicating the same potential error of reassembly.?

As an aside going from 16-22 is quite the jump?

Think about it; if your ignition timing really was; 50* After TDC, it would likely not run. Actually, I don't see how it can.
As to reverse polarity;
when that happens, in my experience, the spark, as soon as you try to rev it up, becomes random. You will get strobes timed very late, strobes very early and strobes randomly jumping everywhere in between.
-----------------------------------------------------

BTW,
What your engine likes for idle timing and what you can actually give it, for a streeter, as you found out, can never be the same. If you actually test it, you will find that at idle, most performance engines will actually like 25 to 35 degrees of Idle-timing ..... or more.
But you can't give her what she likes unless you have an automatic with a hi-stall, and/or race-gears in the back, cuz trying to drive it slowly, especially with a clutch would be between very difficult and impossible.
And the reason is, that to idle at a reasonably slow rpm with 35* of Idle-timing, the throttles will be nearly closed, and the Transfer slot as good as shut off. Thus, as soon as you tip the throttles in, you will experience the dreaded tip-in sag, if it doesn't flat out stall.
I can tell you that, in my 367, even the 292/292/108 Mopar cam will idle just fine at 5* of advance, even tho it liked more than 25. At 5* she would idle down to 550 in gear and pulling herself across the parking lot (manual trans); a thing that was impossible at even 18*. Well, it would sortof do it, but she wouldn't take throttle ....... cuz the transfers were shut off.

So then, I get it. If you have a lo-stall, the engine is gonna be more fun to drive with lots of lo-rpm timing; I understand that. But trying to get it to take throttle from a normal idle speed with extra idle-timing, becomes more and more difficult, as the throttle closes, because of the stalled transfers.

My solution was a two-stage timing curve. A fast curve coming off idle that switched just before detonation came on, to a slow curve the rest of the way.
If you have a manual trans, this is the way to go.
My curve starts right off idle ~12*, and ramps up to 28@2800; then changes to just 34* by 3600.
In this way I can run 87E10 full time without detonation, even at WOT. and Also, in this way, I can properly set my Transfer slot exposure under the throttles, to avoid the tip-in sag.

With an automatic, really, the first time the engine cares about timing, is at stall. With a properly set transfer-slot, it will idle on just about anything you give it short of going retarded.
If your stall is 3500, you can probably lock the dizzy WFO.
If your stall is 2000, yur gonna have to claw it back to avoid detonation. With a non-stepped advance curve, designed to connect those two dots (stall and Power at 3500), Idle gets what it gets. This is NOT ideal, because at idle, with a properly synced Transfer-slot, the idle-advance controls the idle-speed. If you try to do it otherwise, you will quickly run into the tip-in sag. If you try to cover that with pumpshot;
Firstly your City fuel consumption will suffer big time, and
Secondly, good luck getting the accelerator pump to start early enough, and still have something left over for later.
And Thirdly is WHY? Give your engine what she will accept and not one degree more.

Your engine has Four major timing requirements
1) Power-Timing, usually at or near 3600 rpm
2) Stall-Timing, somewhere between 1800 and say 3000.
3) Part-Throttle Timing; anywhere from idle to say 3500
4) Cruise-Timing, somewhere between 2000 and 3000.

>Power-Timing for the SBM is always the same and for factory iron heads, is always, or should always be, in the window of 34 to 36, 37 at most.
>Stall Timing varies, and is determined by testing. A good guess is 1 degree or less per 100 rpm beginning at 20*@2000
> Cruise timing, for most combos, is gonna be in the window of 50 to 56 degrees, depending on; the rpm/load/engine efficiency/etc. Unless you have an overdrive going down the road at 1600 or some equally insanely low number, lol.
> Part throttle Timing is gonna depend on your skills a a tuner, and will depend a lot on your ability to get the AFR in a tight window. Thus, if you set the Idle-Timing too high, yur gonna have trouble dialing this in.
The Mopar V-can, can be modified to top out at 22>24 degrees, and you are gonna need all of that for optimized cruise timing.
Thus, if you are cruising at say 2400rpm, and your Power-Timing is 24*, then adding 22* from the Vcan, totals just 46* which may or may not be correct for your combo.
But if you have set the Idle-timing to 22, and the mechanical has brought in 16 by 2400, and the VA is 22, now you have 60* which in all but a few cases is gonna be too much. So again, WHY try to run so much Idle timing? You are, IMO, just making the ignition tune harder than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Any chance the gear came up when you pulled the dust and fell back in a gear tooth off?

Any chance the gear came up when you pulled the dust and fell back in a gear tooth off?
Sorry for late response , at the beach all day. Even if it did which I don't think it did ,I have the rotor pointing at # 1 at 10 BTDC when it barely starts then have to turn it a crazy amount to smooth it out. I didn't take wires off the cap, marked the dizzy where the rotor was pointing before removal. Right now it is running good. I will pop the cap at TDC and see where it is pointing.
Not 180 out as I tried that even though as said I marked dizzy before removal. All it did was back fire out the carb.
As for timing I was going for 22 initial.12 mechanical, 34 total the 17 Vacuum 51.
I've been battling a stumble which was almost gone setting at 18' . I've tried two different carbs, Have been down the transfer slot adjustments road but I'll save all that for another post.

BTW, where the slot in the distributor drive is, makes not one bit of difference, except only one position is factory correct.
The only thing that makes a difference is where the rotor is pointing when;
A) the points open, or
B) the reluctor triggers.......
in relation to where the tower is, when the spark occurs.

You can take that distributor out, rotate the drive to any of it's many positions, and you will always find a tower to synchronize to. Whatever tower the rotor points to, if #1 was at TDC Compression, that new tower will be number one; you got eight choices.
Having said that, the factory position will get you the best fit for the custom length wire-kits.

However, when determining the distributor clocking AFTER the 10 degrees has been set;
you gotta lock the Distributor down, when the coil fires. That means with the key on and the coil wire near-grounded, you gotta rotate the D, contra-rotation until you get a spark, then verify that the Vacuum advance unit is in a good spot, then continue.
Contra rotation means starting with the Vcan banged up against the firewall, pull on it until you get a spark, then STOP.
Then mark the D as to where the rotor is pointing, then install the cap AND verify the mark you made is very near the center of a tower ; then choose that tower to be your number one.
If you do this very carefully, and your marks on the balancer are correct, you can bet money that your idle-timing will be nearly exactly what you set the balancer to. If it is not, then either;
1) the flyweights were not properly parked at the outset, or
2) the springs are too weak to keep the advance mechanism from moving, at idle.
3) or the ECU is altering the signal.

BTW
if the rotor is not under the center of a tower at 10degrees BTDC, and you cannot force it to go there, and it is in the CW direction PAST the tower, then your dizzy is either incorrectly assembled, or it is crap and will have to come apart to be reindexed.
IF YOU TOOK OFF the reluctor, you may have reinstalled it wrong, so Check the top of your reluctor and find two arrows one above each milled roll-pin slot. If your D rotates CW as it does with SBMs then you should be on the slot that points ">" (which is CW). This is supposed to put the rotor in the right place, after the trigger fires.
If you still can't get the rotor more or less centered under a tower, then you are gonna have to either;
A) re-index it, as it has been welded together wrong. or
B) just file a new slot on the cap, a few degrees over so that the clips still fit, or
C) just move the tip of the rotor over......... which is the easiest. and they make rotors with adjustable tips, just for that.

BTW,
From my desired total advance, I subtract half the mechanical advance, to get the balancer base position. For instance; if my Mechanical flyweight advance is 20 degrees, then 34 less half of 20, equals 24 and that is the number that I will set the balancer to, and then I set my rotor to directly under a tower. In that way, the advance will march 10* towards the tower on the first half of advancing, and then 10* past the tower, on the second half.. At least that is what I'm hoping for. In that way the rotor is never more than 10 degrees from the center of a tower; which is never closer than 50* to the next tower. This is real important with a high-powered coil like the Super-coil, lol.
But recall that the base position starts with the distributor rotating, until the coil fires; and the VA ending up in a useable position, off the firewall, and not jammed under the carb. If the VA ends up in a bad place, remember, I said it does not matter where the Oil-Pump drive is, no other position will make it better!, so don't go moving it just to find out I was right. I've been down that road. If the VA is in a bad spot, it's because the Distributor is poorly synchronized, and will have to come apart, or something else will need to be moved.

BTW
where all the working parts are, inside the D, depends on the arm of the VA actually anchoring the "breaker-plate". If the arm falls down, then the "breaker plate" will float around. I imagine it will eventually find a stopping point, but who can say what the advance will be, except to say, not where it's supposed to be, lol
Happy hotrodding.

VA is in the hole it came out of. This is a dizzy I have been driving with for the last 4 years. Last year set at 18 initial 16 Weight advance VC connected . I tried a spare dizzy I had and same issue. Going to check the ECU.
Thanks for all the info.

VA is in the hole it came out of. This is a dizzy I have been driving with for the last 4 years. Last year set at 18 initial 16 Weight advance VC connected . I tried a spare dizzy I had and same issue. Going to check the ECU.
Thanks for all the info.
Try this;
Disconnect the VA,
hook up your timing light.
Rev it up to 4000 and set the timing to ~ 34/35 degrees.
Let it return to idle, less than 800rpm; and read the Idle-Timing.
finally, hook the VA back up, and once more, read the the timing.

Try this;
Disconnect the VA,
hook up your timing light.
Rev it up to 4000 and set the timing to ~ 34/35 degrees.
Let it return to idle, less than 800rpm; and read the Idle-Timing.
finally, hook the VA back up, and once more, read the the timing.
That would make me pucker......4k with no load:eek:

If you're using one of those FBO limiter plates, they are not accurate at all. They provide more advance than they say. EDIT: But I'm sure that alone is not causing what you're describing. It's gotta be something simple. You'll get better, more-accurate results by welding up your slots. I tried an FBO plate with poor results also and posted about it as well in this guy's thread.
You should read through this thread:

Last edited:
Actually, what it sounds like is, somehow you reversed the two wire plug at the distributor.

Sorry for late response , at the beach all day. Even if it did which I don't think it did ,I have the rotor pointing at # 1 at 10 BTDC when it barely starts then have to turn it a crazy amount to smooth it out. I didn't take wires off the cap, marked the dizzy where the rotor was pointing before removal. Right now it is running good. I will pop the cap at TDC and see where it is pointing.
Not 180 out as I tried that even though as said I marked dizzy before removal. All it did was back fire out the carb.
As for timing I was going for 22 initial.12 mechanical, 34 total the 17 Vacuum 51.
I've been battling a stumble which was almost gone setting at 18' . I've tried two different carbs, Have been down the transfer slot adjustments road but I'll save all that for another post.
What carb are you running?

This is insane.
Bump stopped piston. TDC is where it belongs.
No crossed ignition wires I checked twice but I never removed any to begin with just moved cap assembly away to remove dizzy.
I know about welding up the slots. I posted earlier the plate isn't even in it anymore.
Set crank at 10' BTDC on compression stroke. Set rotor pointing to #1. I have done this a million times before. Car starts fine then dial in timing. Not this time. Engine barely starts runs terrible coughing and dieseling until I crank the dizzy a ridiculous amount to smooth out. Timing reads approx. 25-30 ATDC. I know it sounds like I'm telling you all 2+2 equals 8. :BangHead:
I tried a spare dizzy with same issues.
I tried a different ECU.
I tried dizzy 180 out. Won't start and pops carb.
I reversed polarity of dizzy (Not that)
I've used 2 good timing lights One dial type one not.
Pick up and reluctor align with rotor pointing at #1 plug on cap.
Springs are in place.
Weights are in the slot.
VC in proper hole on plate.
I've yet to try a different cap and rotor but can't see it being the issue as it runs smooth.
I even tried hooking timing light to all wires to see if any of them would go to BTDC without success.
When running I can rev it up and timing will advance in the right direction and go to about 25-30 from 50 ATDC.
I would be scared to death to rev it up and try to set timing to 34 BTDC in fear of breaking it or bending a valve.
I drove it without the VC hooked up and runs great.
I will try and get my buddy over to help video to prove I'm not nuts.

Last edited:
This is insane.
Bump stopped piston. TDC is where it belongs.
No crossed ignition wires I checked twice but I never removed any to begin with just moved cap assembly away to remove dizzy.
I know about welding up the slots. I posted earlier the plate isn't even in it anymore.
Set crank at 10' BTDC on compression stroke. Set rotor pointing to #1. I have done this a million times before. Car starts fine then dial in timing. Not this time. Engine barely starts runs terrible coughing and dieseling until I crank the dizzy a ridiculous amount to smooth out. Timing reads approx. 25-30 ATDC. I know it sounds like I'm telling you all 2+2 equals 8. :BangHead:
I tried a spare dizzy with same issues.
I tried a different ECU.
I tried dizzy 180 out. Won't start and pops carb.
I reversed polarity of dizzy (Not that)
I've used 2 good timing lights
Pick up and reluctor align with rotor pointing at #1 plug on cap.
Springs are in place.
VC in proper hole on plate.
I've yet to try a different cap and rotor but can't see it being the issue as it runs smooth.
I even tried hooking timing light to all wires to see if any of them would go to BTDC without success.
When running I can rev it up and timing will advance in the right direction and go to about 25-30 from 50 ATDC.
I would be scared to death to rev it up and try to set timing to 34 BTDC in fear of breaking it or bending a valve.
I drove it without the VC hooked up and runs great.
I will try and get my buddy over to help video to prove I'm not nuts.
Have you inadvertently attached the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum? That would explain why it runs ok with the vacuum can disconnected.

Is it possible that your reluctor got flipped over for ccw rotation when reinstalled?

No the reluctor is not flipped. I am going to break down the dizzy again for the 4th time and take pics in the process. It still doesn't explain why the spare dizzy has the same issue. I have had Dizzzy's apart before. This is not new for me.

I only have VC plugged until I fiqure this out. I have tested it and it works as it should.

Thanks for all the info.

I recently had a problem exactly like you described.
Ended up being a bad pickup.
That doesn’t explain both distributors doing it though.

Is it possible that your reluctor got flipped over for ccw rotation when reinstalled?
Will not install. The reluctor does not flip, you use a different hole/ slot. The reluctor always goes "right side up" and is offset different, top to bottom

Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you did not screw up on the plug wiring, or timing light cylinder selection? Do you have a light that is NOT "dial up?"

Well, if a spare distributor is behaving exactly the same then it can't be in the distributor. I think somehow the distributor drive gear may have came up a little and jumped at least 1 or 2 teeth over then dropped back down when you pulled it the first time. Put it at tdc again and pull the distributor then see where the drive gear slot is clocked. Then hold your distributor in roughly the same position over the hole and see where your rotor is pointing.
I'd be curious to know what your timing reads now if you were to move the pickup clamp to plug wire #8 or #2, or even #4 or #7.
I don't know if that would help verify if the gear could have jumped over or not. Just trying to help but I ain't real smart. It's gotta be something simple though since you didn't have much apart.
edit: My gear was off by a tooth for a while The guy that dynoed my engine installed it that way) and it ran just fine, but when at TDC, the rotor pointed more towards #5 spark plug and I had to rotate the distributor more to get the correct timing, if that makes sense. I moved the gear a tooth and now the rotor points towards plug #1 at TDC again. If you happened to rotate the rotor while pulling the distributor up and out, it could very easily have walked that gear up and over a tooth or two.

Last edited:
-
Back